Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRISH forum members

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I have a little Irish in me, but I'm mostly Scottish. "Scots (edit, Celts) are the best people in the world," to quote John Buchan, the author of The Thirty Nine Steps. ;)

Edward

Bartender
Rundquist said:
I don’t think that I have any Irish blood, though I do have some English (so maybe there’s some Irish if I dig deep enough). However, I have a deep appreciation for Irish culture (the good parts anyway). The Dubliners are on my all-time list of badass bands. Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew were truly two of the all-time great performers in any genre.

Even better (albeit that most of them were second generation immigrants to England, as opposed to Irish born) - The Pogues. Now they play Irish and Irish inspired folk music the way it should be done. The twee Aran-sweater and nicely pressed jeans set really missed the mark by a mile!

The Dubliners did a great run on The Irish Rover in collaboration with The Pogues at one point.... worth finding.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Edward said:
Even better (albeit that most of them were second generation immigrants to England, as opposed to Irish born) - The Pogues. Now they play Irish and Irish inspired folk music the way it should be done. The twee Aran-sweater and nicely pressed jeans set really missed the mark by a mile!

The Dubliners did a great run on The Irish Rover in collaboration with The Pogues at one point.... worth finding.

:D That's easy, it's been one of my favorite's for years!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDX9qb2-BQ&feature=related

To keep my post on topic; I can only claim half of my blood as Irish,......but I'm more proud of it than I am anything else.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
gaw I forgot how bad Shane Mcgowens teeth are. I met him in a Bar in Somerville Ma once. He had been bared from a flight out of Logan for being drunk. He spent all night at the Nog, and when they closed the owner and bartenders stayed up drinking with him. I

Edward

Bartender
Err.... what teeth?? lol

Shane makes a lot of the image of him being an uncontrolable drunk - I remember seeing him perform with his own band, The Popes, back in Belfast, the night after St Paddy's, 1998.... they led him to the microphone, seemingly out of it like Elvis at the end. My feeling is they hype it up a bit for the image. Hell of a live performer, though, even if his voice is shot. Christmas doesn't begin for me until I've seen the Pogues in Brixton. ;)

bettydarling

One of the Regulars
Rundquist said:
I don’t think that I have any Irish blood, though I do have some English (so maybe there’s some Irish if I dig deep enough). However, I have a deep appreciation for Irish culture (the good parts anyway). The Dubliners are on my all-time list of badass bands. Luke Kelly and Ronnie Drew were truly two of the all-time great performers in any genre.

Ronnie Drew had the best speaking voice so distinctive, such a quintessential Dub. He actually grew up in the village I live in, beside a bigger town called Dun Laoghaire. I just did a post on my blog, some old vintage postcards of the area.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
bettydarling said:
Ronnie Drew had the best speaking voice so distinctive, such a quintessential Dub. He actually grew up in the village I live in, beside a bigger town called Dun Laoghaire. I just did a post on my blog, some old vintage postcards of the area.

Hey Betty - great to see some fellow Dubliners on the board! ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great to see...

So many folk coming forward. Not sure if I mentioned that I will be in Dublin towards the end of November (thankyou Ryan Air..!!), and will be having a 'wee duke' at Brian's barbers (even putting up with a beard growth for five weeks just for the occasion! - much to my work colleagues' amusement!!).

So there just might be a wee shin-dig of sorts (we'll see).

Edward

Bartender
Mr. 'H' said:
lol lol lol

Nice, Edward. Speaking of music - and I know you'll like this one: Dublin's Imelda May is playing the O2 Dublin soon and I am really trying to get tickets. :D

Jinkies, go, go, go!! if you can get tickets, that is.... I can't advise seeing Imelda live enough. I saw her performing with Jeff Beck back in September - he jettisoned (most of) that dull stuff that only appeals to (some) other guitar players that he spent the 80s doing, in favour of going right back to his roots.... was nice to see Imelda and the boys not only play with such a big name, but clearly more than hold their own. (Also amusing to see just how big of an influence Beck clearly was on Nigel Tufnel. lol I had no idea he was such a casualty!!) Saw Imelda and the boys in their own right in October, fantastic night. Can't wait for the new album - just wish they'd bring it out on vinyl too. MMMM..... My next Imelda outing will be seeing her perform with the house band (The award-winning World Famous Palookaville Burlesque Orchestra) at the CandyBox Burlesque club next month. Can't wait!

Hornby

New in Town
Great thread Paddy...

I am sunny sunny Belfast born and bred! We definitely need to arrange some sorta Lounge get together...it just so happens that i run a Swing Dance & Burlesque club if ye needed a venue.

Great to virtually meet the 'locals'.

H..*

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Hornby said:
Great thread Paddy...

I am sunny sunny Belfast born and bred! We definitely need to arrange some sorta Lounge get together...it just so happens that i run a Swing Dance & Burlesque club if ye needed a venue.

Great to virtually meet the 'locals'.

H..*

Hi Hornby,

Good to have you hear. I was in Belfast last night, at the Waterfront for James Ellroy. Did you go to this event? If you were there, I was the guy who asked him the question about the character "Dudley Smith".

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=898095

Hornby

New in Town
Hey Mr H.
Haha...i just commented in your thread about Ellroy. While not at the event last night i did spend the evening 'with' Mr Ellroy. I hope it was a good night.

Hornby..*

Edward

Bartender
OH yeah, I'd forgotten about that..... I'll be interested to hear i it makes and difference to his voice when I see them next month...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
And where's my buddy Mr H?

I'm right here Dan! How's life me ol' friend? ;) I was only reminiscing about it's been about 10 weeks since I came back from staying at your place. It was a really fun experience. And I loved your art deco building.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Just to let people know.... Paddy is coming over to visit and stay in our house on Wednesday night. We were going to take a spin in the Buick (my car) and pay a visit to the Waldorf barbershop (1940s shop). There's a lindyhop class in town that night and I was thinking we'd go along to this and go for drinks afterwards.

Just wondering if Vintage Betty or any of the other Dublin Lounge mambers would like to come in to town...?

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86