Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my Eastman A2 way too small?

Olaf G

New in Town
I bought this slightly used Eastman A2, so it can't be returned. The measurements seemed right but I'm not quite sure if it's too small or not. The sleeves are too short, but that's always an issue for me, when I looked inside sleeves it seemed like they could be let out a little bit, hopefully enough to make up for the shortness. I'm wearing them with very low rise denim, which I usually do not wear so it might seem like the jacket is way too short. It looks better with higher rise pants.

Attaching a picture with the zipper open, which is how I will wear it most of the time.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwVMMHWIh_zuRm9xN2tHRVFtb0k/edit?usp=sharing

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Don't take this the wrong way but your other clothing, shoes, haircut, and beard strongly suggest you're going for a "hipster" look and the proportions of your jacket seem perfect and very correct fitting - good job. However, for non-hipsters and men middle-aged (and beyond) it would be too short and skinny.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Straight answer: yes. More than anything, you don't look incredibly comfortable in it. I'm guessing you'll have trouble lifting both arms at once without it turning into a Bolero jacket. [huh] I'd go up at least a size. This is as neat as I go, and believe me, any more and I wouldn't be able to feel my arms! :

Olaf G

New in Town
Haha. Thank you. I wasn't really going for the hipster look, but it's just what I had on when I got it in the mail.

It is very tight when zipped up so I think a size up might be a better fit, yeah. I usually wear 42R in everything except for Barbour, I don't know why I went with 40 on this jacket. Damnit. I'll see if someone is up for a switch or maybe I can get most of my money back by selling it on here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
A-2s can be tricky to get right, so I wouldn't feel too bad. The advice I was given, to get the best look, was that you should go with as small a size as you can comfortably live with. But you need to watch which contract the jacket is, as it affects the fit too - others here can give you far better advice on the specifics of this area than I can, though.

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello Olaf and welcome ...
Alas, my 2 cents has to be that I think the jacket looks too small too. Sorry. Better not to wear it and move it on IMHO and get something right. You'll be much happier.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
Sloan, please remind me what your A2 size and type is. That looks like a damned good fit to me, but I agree the OP's looks too small.

I've learned the hard way that an off the rack A2 can be a tricky bugger if you aren't "standard build".
The length of the sleeves and body look good. That's where I like mine.
How does it feel across the back, shoulders and arm pits?
If tight in any of those areas, it's tight.

I take a size 44 US mens jacket, stand 5'9".
For an A2 to fit me comfortably across the back, shoulders and arm pits, I generally need something in the range of a size 46.....which means the arms and torso are going to be too long on me, unless I go with a custom built A2 by somebody like Good Wear.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
That was a size 36 in an Aero 42 contract in smooth steer. My other one, the russet buffalo is a size 38 in an Aero 45 contract from the mid-80s. I'd say both are great, but the russet one is my 'go-to', it fits as if it was made for me. Just for a laugh, and illustrative purposes, here's that sofa moment again:

Edward

Bartender
Olaf, I think it looks a bit too tight over your shoulders? Do you have trouble zipping it up? I'd say you'd be best going up a size, at least (depending on pattern. My Aero A2 is a Size 42, 1942 contract, and it's nest but not overly so. Looks and feels grand, but I wouldn't go tighter - for a neat fitting contract I'd have to go up a size, I think). The big plus is that because you bought used and bought one of the Big Names, you should be able to sell it on without losing money. Photo of it on you done up might help with advice on whether to go up one or two sizes.

Edit: It feels okay across the back and the shoulders. The "hug test" works fine.

Just depends on what your "hug test" is.
When I was younger mine was I wanted to be able to reach forward/cross my arms in front of me without feeling like my circulation cut off.
Over time it evolved to the point where I don't want to feel ANY constriction when I reach my hands forward.
I want COMFORT in my old age! :D

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I concur with all of Edward's points. It looks as if you'd be hard pressed to zip it fully with anything more than a t-shirt.
Frankly, you just don't look comfortable in it.

As mentioned, each contract has differing fit characteristics. What does the label say?
Also, depending upon age of the jacket, Eastman was notorious for changing pattern sizes. You could have an identical contract and size between years and get a different fit. I've got Rough Wear 1401's from 1998, 2004, 2011 all size 42 and all different fits. One almost could be a size 44!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMO this A2 is one size too small unless you want a very snug look. Of course there was no perfect fit in the War, so if you are happy with this jacket enjoy wearing it. Alternatively trade it in for a slightly more generously cut A2. A second hand Good Wear would be the way to go if you want the most accurate A2 on the market.

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Agree with the consensus opinion that you need to go up at least on size.
You should have no problem getting a good price for your Eastman ... If you've followed a few of the regulars here
you'll see how often even the most experienced buyers have had to move on a jacket which isn't quite right.
Just put it down to part of the learning experience .;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, I have the opposite problem as you as I take a size 44L US mens jacket but stand 6'2" and wear a 16X37 men's shirt. Since I am short waisted, a size 46 A-2 fits me just fine, but the sleeves are as short on me as Olaf's A-2 sleeves are on him.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
If you don't feel comfortable wearing it, then it doesn't fit as you want it. I say sell and start over!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy