Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my vintage CHP Cal-Leather jacket too short?

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
(I bought a vintage Cal-Leather CHP jacket. A real oldie maybe late 40's early 50's With the Talon diamond and chain pocket pulls. When I wear casual, modern jeans, (not the buttcrack skinny jeans the kids wear) I have about 1" or so of shirt showing between the jeans and jacket. I understand that back in the day people wore their pants higher, so is it safe to assume that it's normal to have the jacket duty belt covering the area where your suit pants would normally sit? Around the navel area where your hips end? (There's no Issue when I pull and belt my jeans to suit-pant level) Or did I get it wrong and buy a jacket tailored for a cop with a tiny torso?

oROCxOP.jpg

Casual jean position.

jHWFSz3.jpg

Jeans belted above hips in "dress pants" position.

Last edited:

Bolero

A-List Customer
(I bought a vintage Cal-Leather CHP jacket. A real oldie maybe late 40's early 50's With the Talon diamond and chain pocket pulls. When I wear casual, modern jeans, (not the buttcrack skinny jeans the kids wear) I have about 1" or so of shirt showing between the jeans and jacket. I understand that back in the day people wore their pants higher, so is it safe to assume that it's normal to have the jacket duty belt covering the area where your suit pants would normally sit? Around the navel area where your hips end? (There's no Issue when I pull and belt my jeans to suit-pant level) Or did I get it wrong and buy a jacket tailored for a cop with a tiny torso? Any thoughts?

You got it wrong and the Jacket is too short...

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
I was afraid of that, so that makes the jacket a 44S, but that's the chance you take on ebay. Although I don't mind hiking up my jeans a bit for this jacket. In fact it'll probably make my legs look longer. So that's a positive.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Hey, my kind of thread...:)

It's short, perhaps too short, but the beauty of these kind of jackets is you can practically wear them up to your bellybutton and get away with it. If someone on the street remarks it's too short, just tell them "it's a rock n' roll thing, like you'd know"...:)

You may be aware of this but one of the things you have to consider with this type jacket is the belt on the jacket is the actual duty belt that held the officers equipment. The weapon, cuffs, radio and such. Depending on what was carried the weight could exceed 10 pounds easily. If it wasn't above the hips to help support the weight, it becomes very uncomfortable.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
You may be aware of this but one of the things you have to consider with this type jacket is the belt on the jacket is the actual duty belt that held the officers equipment. The weapon, cuffs, radio and such. Depending on what was carried the weight could exceed 10 pounds easily. If it wasn't above the hips to help support the weight, it becomes very uncomfortable.

I didn't really think about the gear Issue, that makes a lot of sense.

Personally, I won't wear any jacket that rides above my belt. Don't care how authentic that may have once been or that folks may have worn high rise pants at one time. Jackets that I prefer fit comfortably well over my belt, with 'grab and wear' easy versatility, no matter what I wear, although I don't care to wear extremely low waisted jeans or pants with anything. However, not everyone agrees going by past photos here on the FL, so I only speak for myself.
HD

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Can you get a pic or two (front and back) with your arms by your side? It looks too short from what you've provided but I don't know if that's just a result of you holding your arms up to snap the proverbial bathroom selfie ;)

A bit short works in a rider/perfecto jacket IMO IF the jacket is fitted right (read: slim). BUT you have to own the style. Eg real rockabilly look (heavy belt, wide legged jeans etc). It's not for everyone but it can look real badass IMO

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Each to their own, I enjoy wearing some jackets that others would consider too short & agree with Bretron that a badass look can sometimes be cultivated in some short Biker jackets :)

Also: you could purchase some vintage cut high rise pants to go with such a lovely jacket.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Can you get a pic or two (front and back) with your arms by your side? It looks too short from what you've provided but I don't know if that's just a result of you holding your arm up to snap the proverbial bathroom selfie ;)

A bit short works in a rider/perfecto jacket IMO IF the jacket is fitted right (read: slim). BUT you have to own the style. Eg real rockabilly look (heavy belt, wide legged jeans etc). It's not for everyone but it can look real badass IMO

Unfortunately nobody is around to help me take better front and back pics. This is about as good as it gets as far as arms down goes. Arms to the side like a statue, there's only maybe a 1/4" gap with the jeans riding casual.
8Ysb1Xf.jpg

On a positive note, the mystery horsehide police jacket I found in goodwill that still had it's fur collar attached has the exact same snap position as the cal-leather jacket. So I save $180 on a new fur collar from Cal-Leather.
OL4Wnva.jpg

I had a 42" long that hit me in about the same spot. 27" sleeve length and 26" back length w/ the dipped kidney panel. It's shorter in front so you can move without constraint when it's fully zipped.
FullSizeRender.jpg

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thats weird, ton312's looks great, while Doomsteins definitely looks too short?

Maybe its the optical illusion of the tucked in t-shirt and jeans showing your belt line vs ton312 having his untucked and you cant see where his jeans end?

Maybe give that a try and post some pics. It would be a shame to ditch a jacket just because you aren't wearing it "right"

SteveZ

One of the Regulars
Didnt some law enforcement wear an attached gun belt to the jacket ? It would have to be shorter for that use right ?

Mine came with a garrison belt that I never used...it added a ton of weight to an already very heavy jacket and wasn't necessary for me as I could just barely get the thing zipped with the side gussets pulled all the way in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran