Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any hope?

Steve

Practically Family
I've returned to the Lounge after a long absence. Hope everyone is well.

Part of what I did during my time away was lose some weight. A lot of it, fifty pounds in fact. As it stands now, it's finally casual jacket weather in Florida, and I find myself in a predicament.

All of my suits and jackets are too baggy now. My hometown is fairly casual, and things weren't quite this dramatic the last time I was at an event that called for a suit or jacket. Now, my clothes feel a lot like wool sacks when I put them on. They were bought off the rack, but originally were fitted down to my waist and stomach. I slipped into my old favorite jacket this afternoon for a photograph, and my question boils down to this: is this too baggy to have refitted, or should I spring for the expense and go after at least one new suit? My navy suit is even baggier than what you see here.

IMG_0623.jpg

djd

Practically Family
You could always get in the gym and replace some of the weight you lost with muscle? If you added a bit more width to your shoulders it would improve the fit of the jacket no end. My weight goes up and down by as much as 30lbs depending on how much training I'm doing

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
New clothes are in order. It's supposed to be one of the happy benefits of weight loss, right? And congratulations on doing so!

I had some pants taken in two sizes after weight loss: mistake. They looked ridiculous with the pockets too close together in back.

Steve

Practically Family
Yes. And, congrats on the weight loss.

BTW, the jacket is too long as well.

Thanks on three counts. It used to sit higher in the front due to my stomach, never noticed it being this huge before.

New clothes are in order. It's supposed to be one of the happy benefits of weight loss, right? And congratulations on doing so!

I had some pants taken in two sizes after weight loss: mistake. They looked ridiculous with the pockets too close together in back.

The alignment of the pockets is something I hadn't even considered yet. The devil is in the details.

Given the funds, I would replace everything in my closet with new and fitted garments, but my income as a photographer requires a little bit of monetary triage when it comes to the more expensive clothing purchases.

davidg

New in Town
I would recommend that you FIRST take the clothes to a good tailor and get an opinion. They're the pro's of re-doing clothing, so make use of their expertise!

Steve

Practically Family
I would recommend that you FIRST take the clothes to a good tailor and get an opinion. They're the pro's of re-doing clothing, so make use of their expertise!

I'm definitely going to take it by the shop first. The garments in question came from Men's Wearhouse originally, and they're supposed to offer complimentary alterations. I'm posting here in advance just to get a feeling for the response I might be in for when I go there tomorrow.

You could always get in the gym and replace some of the weight you lost with muscle? If you added a bit more width to your shoulders it would improve the fit of the jacket no end. My weight goes up and down by as much as 30lbs depending on how much training I'm doing

I'm in the gym almost every day, in addition to practicing martial arts (kickboxing and karate) a few times a week. I've maintained lean muscle, but bodybuilding isn't really my thing. I'd rather stay trending toward lean side, I spent most of my life pretty bulky and really prefer the way clothes hang on me now. I just have to make sure they fit. :D

Last edited:

Dan Rodemsky

One of the Regulars
Congrats on the loss! Good advice so far. I know what you mean about funds. I have been checking out thrift stores since I found the lounge. I got a wool sport coat that fits like it is custom tailored for only $8. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR