1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Is this deal too good to be true??

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Gamma68, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Gamma68

Gamma68 Practically Family

I've had my eye on the Schott 619 for a while now. Today, I came across an online seller called Celeb Leather Jackets that listed it at $149 (on sale from $169).

https://celebleatherjackets.com/SCH...9-Lightweight-Motorcycle-Jacket?search=schott

I've got one in my shopping cart now, but I wanted to ask here if you guys think this is a scam before hitting the "purchase" button.

The price obviously makes me suspicious. Another is the option to "select material," genuine or faux leather. The jacket description is in poor English. Celeb Leather Jackets does not provide a phone number (although they have an email address).

According to the website, they offer a 30-day return policy if the item is unworn and the tags remain attached.

A fantastic, under-the-radar deal? Or too good to be true?

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

I doubt what you will receive is actually a Schott jacket.
    I would say they use a real Schott in the picture just to get people interested and then send out a cheap copy.
    There are many websites doing things like that, they use Schott, Aero, even Thedi pictures, but don't actually sell them.

If you have 169$ to spare it could be an interesting experiment, but i would not expect anything great to come out of it. (that is if you actually end up receiving anything at all!)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    bn1966 and ton312 like this.
  3. Jejupe

Jejupe A-List Customer

I went for similar scam and bought a RRL work coat for really good price. The webpage showed all prices in australian dollars, but the payment was took from my credit card in chinese currency. Needless to say, I never got the jacket. However, I got a pair of socks from china and eventually I also got my money back from credit card company, after submitting a claim.

4. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Yeah Gamma...I'd avoid that. You'll likely get this:
    [​IMG]
    They also have a drop down menu for a faux leather version of that Schott...LOL

bn1966 and Monitor like this.
  5. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Yeah, avoid, avoid, avoid.

bn1966 and TheMarriedHermit like this.
  6. JMax

JMax Practically Family

Leather socks?

bn1966, TheMarriedHermit and Jejupe like this.
  7. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Pretty much all of the celeb/movie/leatherjackets dot whatever are China or Middle Eastern based scammers selling fakes.

bn1966 and Guppy like this.
  8. Gamma68

Yeah I kinda figured it was a scam. Someone oughta shut them down.

9. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

They may offer a return, but I doubt that many will actually get their money back.

10. Gamma68

I sent an email to Schott alerting them of the bogus product. Maybe they can do something to shut down scurrilous rogue webscammers.

bn1966 and TheMarriedHermit like this.
  11. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Oh, it's useless. They've already shut down hundreds of these. Whenever one scam website gets closed, another one pops up. It's gotten so bad that it's advisable to just avoid unofficial websites altogether.

There was a section of the filmjackets.com forum devoted to exposing scammers and it was quite intense for a while when they DDOS'ed fj dot com and threatened to completely destroy it if they don't stop ruining their business.

Scum of the earth.

Harris HTM likes this.
  12. TheMarriedHermit

TheMarriedHermit One of the Regulars

A faux Schott in faux leather, proudly and painstakingly crafted in the thriving industrial metropolis of Ping-Pong, the People's Republic of China, and offered to you, the discriminating buyer, in faux English for real American money. What's not to like?

bn1966 and ton312 like this.
  13. TREEMAN

TREEMAN One Too Many

Junk.....

14. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

If it looks too good to be true....have been there :) Nasty 'Fonz' jacket