Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian Borsalino Hat Size Confirmation help

club30s

New in Town
Hi Guys,

need your help with old borsalino an Italian one with Antica Casa marked.
If the hat is older Borsalino with Antica Casa and has a size 7 IN THE FRONT under the sweat band is that safe to say it is punti size?

I mean the US market Old Borsalino's with Original House script usually have sizes in the back.

Please let me know what you borsalino lovers have to say. Especially those people that own Italian vintage ones and can kindly confirm this.

Many thanks :)

P.S I have searched for this over and over but only found 1 old post going over this. Just want to be sure.

club30s

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
That would be a 7 5/8 US size. My Borso has 61 & 7 but no US sizing.

so you are sure of this?

gtdean48 said:
Go here http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/fitting.asp
scroll down to hat size chart. Punti will be same as French.

Thanks for the reply. I am actually fully aware of the conversions. What I do want to make sure is that if there is any reason why an old italian Antica Casa marked Borsalino would carry US size in the front part of sweatband?

I mean logic says it is highly unlikely but for those people who own old Italian Borsalinos have they seen dual sizing in them? I know certain US Original House ones have both.

No telling as my Borso was bought is Ft. Worth,TX & has every size listed BUT US. I was replying about a 7 Punti, no idea of US sizes in Borso hats. Always ask for measurement of circumference around the sweatband, only way to be sure for me...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Borsalino sizing

I have more new Borsalino hats (none vintage) than from any other maker. I find their sizes to be all over the place. My size is 7 1/8. I bought one Borsalino from Hats.com called the WB Traveler with a cloth band inside, and it was really loose. Then I bought a 7 1/8 (57 cm) Borsalino beaver fedora for $400, leather inner band; it was tight. Bought identical hat for my Dad at 7 1/4 (58 cm), and it was just right. I also have a couple of 7 1/8s, Borsaino Alessandrias, leather inner band, that fit just right.

The moral of the story is that the fit of the Borsalino hat is hard to predict. It probably has to do with the thickness of the inner band--a cloth one make the hat fit looser; the lambskin beaver fedora inner band must be very thick.

Another lesson to me is that I can live with a looser-fitting hat much more easily than a tight-fitting hat. The latter never stops annoying me. A looser fitting hat is a bit more casual also, it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot