Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman A1

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The jacket looks like a nice jacket - but has nothing to do with a A1.
:eek:fftopic: But I can recommend the scarf!!!! (Blue with white dots) I bought one ayear ago. SUPER quality!

Technonut

Practically Family
Hmmmmmm... Sorta kinda like the G-8 flight jacket..

g8.jpg

jacket was introduced into the service in the late 1920's as the official flight jacket of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corp flyers. The details on this jacket were an inspiration for many famous designs introduced through the movie industries.

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=8

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It's a nice jacket. If you like it, pick it up. Most of the things I've gotten from Peterman have been of very good quality.

(My experience has been that the sketches romanticize the item, but often don't do it justice. I'd but just about anything out of the '30's Esquire magazines and they were pretty much all artwork.)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I've a JP jacket and shirt that I got from an Ebay seller. Both are great quality and still going strong a couple of years in with regular wear. The sketches did not do them justice.

I still maintain the descriptions are written by someone in the grip of psychosis, though... ;)

Edward

Bartender
Dudleydoright said:
Never consider buying anything based on an artists sketch !!!!

Dave

:lol: In this day and age, it does seem a bit alien to not have a photo (personally, I like the combination of both a la Old Town - sometimes a nice simple sketch gives you a clearer idea of the lines than a photo...).

Claims to accuracy are well off, but otherwise it's a nice period-style jacket. If the quality and fit are there, it might make a nice alternative for someone who wants something similar to an A2, but just a bit different.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The pieced front tells me they're cutting some corners.

A zippered A-1 type was a common style in the 30s, but they were never pieced like that. Hides and labor were both cheap enough that it wasn't necessary.

narwhale

New in Town
I talked with the online help to get some measurements and they said a size medium would have 49" chest along with 36" sleeve (from center back) and 27" length. That seems a bit oversized to me, even if I were to size down to a small. I also found out it's made in China. It's an intriguing design that I might be tempted to take a chance on if the sizing sounded better, but I don't want to take the money from my Aero piggy bank!

kampkatz

Practically Family
It looks like a well made jacket. As said previously, not an A1, but if you like it and are not concerned about historical accuracy then go for it. The price looks quite reasonable. What have you got to lose if you are not using it for re-enacting purposes? Nothing.

tonypaj

Practically Family
kampkatz said:
It looks like a well made jacket. As said previously, not an A1, but if you like it and are not concerned about historical accuracy then go for it. The price looks quite reasonable. What have you got to lose if you are not using it for re-enacting purposes? Nothing.

I assume you have seen the jacket or have a photo. If you could share it, that would be great. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Technonut said:
Hmmmmmm... Sorta kinda like the G-8 flight jacket..

g8.jpg

jacket was introduced into the service in the late 1920's as the official flight jacket of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corp flyers. The details on this jacket were an inspiration for many famous designs introduced through the movie industries.

http://www.flightjacket.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=8

Ah yes, the G8 - the jacket which was never issued anywhere, anytime....

Viper Man

Banned
I'm bumping this thread for a review or possibly photos. Did anyone pick one of these up by chance? It's currently selling for a great price and I am very tempted to pull the trigger on what looks like a pretty nice lightweight leather jacket. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner