Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Peterman Linen Safari Jacket

Nick Charles

Practically Family
It looks pretty nice and the eppelauttes are removable. Thats very early war if I remember correctly. I'd give er a go. I really like the Linen Suit. But it is costly.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Man, what a sweet looking jacket! Linen would be perfect for the cool desert evenings around here. I need to get a job as a clothing tester for Peterman. I think he could use my impeccable taste, my discerning eye, my, shall we say, unique dimensions.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you would get more use from this or the Victoria Falls jacket. This will top off anything from jeans (shudder) to twills and a tie. The Victoria Falls jacket is versatile, to be sure, but it is really more of a sports coat for those occassions when some folks will be wearing jeans and open collar shirts, and some will be wearing coats and ties. Actually, thinking of your style, the Victoria Falls jacket may suit you better.

Heck, get 'em both and send the one you don't like as well to me!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Excellent insight, Jack!
I think the sportcoat is more suitable to my style and tastes. I rarely wear light jackets. Here in Boston, we go from Winter to summer with very little room for light jackets. And when I do wear one, it is usually my Wested or my Barbour.
The sportcoat can be used and abused all year, following me to whatever tropical location I pick for this winter break.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think this is the *other* one that Peterman is talking about in the Victoria Falls Copy. The one that'll get you thrown out of the restaurant becuase "Sorry Sir, that's a shirt, and a jacket is required here..."

In the new Owner's Manual:
The Gatsby pants and the Hemingway cap. Maybe this linen safari job.
Oh! And that amazing leather satchel thingy.

But I'm in one of those periods of tight fiscal restraint I've heard about.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
But I'm in one of those periods of tight fiscal restraint I've heard about.
I think you heard of that from me, and you know I ignore my own advice constrantly!

That's the problem with being single; no one to tell me no!

Matt, why would you recommend the safari jacket? The first part of your statement sounds as if you are leaning toward the Victoria Falls!
Thanks!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well... when I got the Victoria Falls I think I was wanting more of a safari jacket... this is a crossbreed and I really after consideration think it feels more 70's in styling. The material isn't 100% cotton either, it's got some spandex and stretches a bit... it makes a difference and makes it feel a bit artificial. The half belt in the back isn't cinched at all so it is baggy with pleats in the back. I think I would have sent it back for the straight safari had i the choice originally.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Matt Deckard said:
Well... when I got the Victoria Falls I think I was wanting more of a safari jacket...
...I think I would have sent it back for the straight safari had i the choice originally.
Thanks Matt, that is very interesting and valuable information.
My VF is on the way (it was on back order) and if I do not like it, I'll send it right back for this linen safari. Thanks.

Nick Charles said:
What about Daisy?
Daisy and I are roommates, travel-companions, best friends, partners in crime, fellow vintage enthusiasts, but we are not romantically involved. Though I often affentionately refer to her as my "fake" wife!

I cannot print here how she refers to me! :eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
It *does* sound like married people...

Hemingway Jones said:
Daisy and I are roommates, travel-companions, best friends, partners in crime, fellow vintage enthusiasts, but we are not romantically involved.

Just like married people.

My VF is on the way (it was on back order) and if I do not like it, I'll send it right back for this linen safari. Thanks.

A review first, I hope. I'll be anxious to get your take on it.

Baggers

Practically Family
Dang, I wish I'd seen this before getting my Vic Falls jacket. :mad:

Are those lower pockets actual bellows pockets?

The only thing I'm not too keen on are the button tabs on the sleeves. I've been rolling mine for decades and never needed anything to help keep them in place. In my experience, they usually only complicate the issue because they're hardly ever placed correctly to allow the rolled part to hit just above the elbow, and I can never get it rolled right on the first try for the tab to button. And they also get in the way of a proper sharp crease when I try to iron them. In short, they're a bigger pain the a** than they're worth, totally useless in my opinion.

Do I stay on the bleeding edge of fashion, or will one of you folks buy this thing first and post some proper pictures? :D

Cheers!

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Daisy and I are roommates, travel-companions, best friends, partners in crime, fellow vintage enthusiasts, but we are not romantically involved. Though I often affentionately refer to her as my "fake" wife!
I cannot print here how she refers to me! :eusa_doh:

GOT IT.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:

Oh, boy, Nick! I'm looking forward to your review, especially since you are right down the road. If it works in Phoenix, it will definately work in the high desert.

I'd really like a light linen jacket to wear with shorts when it cools off in the evening. I'm not quite sure I could pull off the shorts and full blown safari jacket, though. Maybe a tad too Jungle Jim for this Harley t-shirt and jeans locale. [huh] Anybody do a safari jacket and shorts that regularly?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
Sorry Jack I ment got it on Hems only being friends with Daisy. I wish I had the Jacket.

:eusa_doh: Sorry! I would have gotten that if I'd have read a little closer.

I'll keep following this thread until someone gets that jacket, though!

Baggers

Practically Family
A Quick Review

Well, I couldn't resist, and so I ordered this jacket and it arrived today. I have to say that I'm rather disappointed with it.

While the fabric is a great color and weight, the construction details leave a bit to be desired. For one thing the fit is very loose, which means it hangs like a burlap bag. The sleeves are also a bit long for me. So much for their S-M-L size grading. The back is totally devoid of any detail beyond a shoulder yoke which has a hanger loop stitched to it (why they put a second one on the outside when there's a perfectly good loop on the inside of the collar where it should be is puzzling). No pleats, belts, or vents to be seen. The upper chest pockets are nothing like the rendering in their catalogue. The drawing suggests nicely sized pleated pockets per the classic bush jacket design, but in reality they're smallish pleated bellows pockets with squared lower corners rather than the rounded ones indicated in the illustration. In short, they look like vestigial BDU pockets with pleats on the front and appear too small for the jacket. The lower bellows pockets, however, look okay. And finally, the button holes down the front of the jacket's placket are a corded keyhole style running vertically instead of horizontally. That just seems weird to me.

I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers, that's very disappointing to hear. Bush jackets have got to be somewhat fitted to look halfway decent. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. Definately post some pics before it goes back, though!

Is the Peterman quality on other items as questionable lately?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart