Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Dating: Brown Double Breasted

SteveN

One of the Regulars
G'Day All,

The second jacket I'm trying to date is this double breasted, pin striped jacket. Now given what was written in the Dating a Suit thread, I'd guess to this be 80's, based on Dinerman's comments about the low, narrow button stance.

What's unusual about this suit though is the material. It's a very heavy, very coarse weave material. It's almost like a burlap bag. I tried to take a close-up of the weave, but it didn't show up very well.

Here's the jacket from the front:
IMG_0007.jpg

There are no labels on the inside. Notice how the arm lining is a different colour, and the interesting way that the fabric of the lapel continues all the way into the pocket area to form the top edge of the pocket:
IMG_0008.jpg

Any guesses on the date of this one?

If it's 'vintage', I'm thinking about it with some cream coloured pants. I know pin-stripes usually look like orphaned suit jackets, but I think this might work.

Regards,
- SteveN

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Request.

Steven. Just, when you have a moment (and it saves the relevant Bartender having to do it), would you please merge all your similar 'jacket dating' threads under one banner please. Makes it easier viewing for all members, cheers.

Thanks for your help and cooperation with this

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:

Is that because of the button stance, or other reasons? I'm interested in the factors that can be used to help date the jackets.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
SteveN said:
Is that because of the button stance, or other reasons?
In part but mainly due to the extremely low gorge (the point at which the lapel joins with the collar, at the notch/peak) which was popular in the 80's.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
In part but mainly due to the extremely low gorge (the point at which the lapel joins with the collar, at the notch/peak) which was popular in the 80's.

Ahh. Thanks. That helps a great deal.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen