Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Dating: Locally Made Thornproof Tweed

SteveN

One of the Regulars
G'Day Gentlemen,

Given my woeful lack of knowledge of vintage clothing, I'm hoping that some of you can assist me in dating a few finds I made while trawling through the 'opp shops' (as thrift shops are known 'down under') in Hobart, Tasmania.

I managed to eliminate many of the jackets based on materials or brand names, but there are a few oddballs I'm unsure about, and may be 'vintage' finds.

The first up is a Thornproof Tweed, made by a famous local tailor, Bidencope. According to a short history:

http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/AS10038b.htm

Bidencope started the shop in the 1850's, developed a good reputation, and it was sold by his grandsons in 1977. I can find nothing more than that, but there is nothing about the tailor shop on the internet, so even if the buyers continued with the name, they stopped before 1996 (or so).

Here's the jacket from the front. Please forgive the photography. I'm new to the iPhone:
IMG_0003.jpg

One of the Bidencope tag:
IMG_0005.jpg

And one indicating that the material is North Irish thornproof tweed.
IMG_0006.jpg

Overall this jacket seems well made compared to the others I saw today (I must have seen nearly 50 throughout the city).

Does anyone have any guesses as to the vintage of this jacket? It's only $12, so even if I got it 'wrong', I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

Cheers,
- SteveN

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
SteveN said:
Does anyone have any guesses as to the vintage of this jacket? It's only $12, so even if I got it 'wrong', I wouldn't be out a lot of money.

Cheers,
- SteveN

Not too vintage, '70s or maybe late '60s. Fully lined with pretty wild looking lining.
That said, it looks like a nice jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Request

Steven. Just, when you have a moment (and it saves the relevant Bartender having to do it), would you please merge all your similar 'jacket dating' threads under one banner please. Makes it easier viewing for all members, cheers.

Thanks for your help and cooperation with this ;)

SteveN

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Steven. Just, when you have a moment (and it saves the relevant Bartender having to do it), would you please merge all your similar 'jacket dating' threads under one banner please. Makes it easier viewing for all members, cheers.

Thanks for your help and cooperation with this ;)

How do I do that?

The reason I kept them separate was so that I could keep the comments on each jacket separate. The thinking was that, eventually, other newbies to vintage would have threads that they could use to pickup style cues and tips for various types of jackets.

Regards,
- Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen