Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JC Penney: American Living

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have several of their white point collar dress shirts, removable collar stays, neat herringbone weave, they have held up well, and I caught them on sale for $19.99, I think.

davestlouis

Practically Family
If you believe the boys on the AAAC forums, the brand is being killed off...they were trying to go toe-to-toe with Kohl's Chaps brand, and never even rolled it out into all of the Penney's locations.

Apparently there is a RL connection, as there is with Chaps, but it is not advertised that way.

I suppose the Lauren branded items at Stein Mart are the same sort of low-end RL line.

GreyHaas

New in Town
I went to Penny's tonight to check out this jacket. It definitely lived up to my expectations and i bought one. It was on sale for $100 as opposed to the original $200 price. I also checked out the other jackets in the American Living series like the Officers jacket but it seemed really cheap and thin. I would highly recommend the Newsboy jacket though.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
GreyHaas said:
I went to Penny's tonight to check out this jacket. It definitely lived up to my expectations and i bought one. It was on sale for $100 as opposed to the original $200 price. I also checked out the other jackets in the American Living series like the Officers jacket but it seemed really cheap and thin. I would highly recommend the Newsboy jacket though.

It's a nice jacket and super heavy. I checked them out yesterday and almost got one but I am getting a new Filson and didn't need another heavy jacket. I bought the corduroy newsboy instead. Walked out with that baby for only $65. Nice jackets to choose from and it's worth the trip. They do all seem to run alittle tight so if buying online I would suggest maybe going up a size.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
It's a nice jacket and super heavy. I checked them out yesterday and almost got one but I am getting a new Filson and didn't need another heavy jacket. I bought the corduroy newsboy instead. Walked out with that baby for only $65. Nice jackets to choose from and it's worth the trip. They do all seem to run alittle tight so if buying online I would suggest maybe going up a size.

That jacket looks nice on the website. Could you post pics of yours?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
That jacket looks nice on the website. Could you post pics of yours?

jacket003.jpg

jacket004.jpg

I hope these pictures help. There are two interior pockets, the one in the first picture and another on the other side. The button on the cuff is just for looks, no adjustment there. I bought my size but to wear it with a sweater or even a mid to heavy weight flannel shirt I would have gone one size larger.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Knew I had this around somewhere. I actually wore an American Living shirt and tie for my graduation announcement photo earlier this year. I was pleased with the result:

Announce1.jpg

Lou

One of the Regulars
I looked at the dress shirts and liked them, but haven't bought one yet. I've yet to look at the jackets, but see here that I should make it a priority.

theinterchange

One Too Many
handlebar bart said:
jacket003.jpg

jacket004.jpg

I hope these pictures help. There are two interior pockets, the one in the first picture and another on the other side. The button on the cuff is just for looks, no adjustment there. I bought my size but to wear it with a sweater or even a mid to heavy weight flannel shirt I would have gone one size larger.

That looks really nice, thanks for posting photos! I may have to take a swing by Penny's soon.

Randy

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This brand had real marketing problems, if the thread at AAAC is anything to go on. American Living is an entire lifestyle collection - meaning it's chained to housewares, decorating, etc. Penney's apparently refused to advertise it - no magazines, no holiday campaign(!) - so it only appeared as a kind of large-scale test marketing. There was probably very little faith in the product.

The AndyAskers remind us that mass market clothing is about two things: a) covering up and b) status. Not style - status. Fashion is status; brand is status; style, at least any lasting kind of style, doesn't enter into it. Penney's can't draw the typical Polo buyer with lower-priced style, because he will pay more simply for the brand.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
CHEAP and THIN

GreyHaas said:

1. American Living @ Penney's
2. J.Crew
3. Lands End @ Sears
4. RL Polo @ Macy's

Check out ALL four of the above & you will see a number of cheap & thin items, with some at premium Prices $$$ (#4)! My Point you may get a fashion LOOk, but are you getting QUALITY for your dollar??? Solid Citizen [huh]

GreyHaas

New in Town
Yeah, it was just weird to see the other items were fairly cheaply made while the newsboy jacket seemed a big step above the others. I guess I was expecting more consistency in the line.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Another One

My wife was in Portland today and picked up the reversable model for me. It was apparently the last one in the store she visited. It was reduced to $79.00 in the store...Pretty good deal I think. I like it a lot. Very comfortable and warm too. I think I will enjoy it.
mh

Weston

A-List Customer
I love the brand! Hope that it lasts a long time. I've bought more of these clothes than any brand (except Polo) in years. Hope I can get the jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk