Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The jacket which inspired the Captain America Jacket .....

Plumbline

One Too Many
So there I was merrily browsing Ebay on a Sunday evening when I happened upon a Ralph Lauren "Sample" ....... made in China .... but as I looked at it there was a dawning realisation that this was a replica of the famed "Alaskan Reindeer" jacket ( P72 of Rin Tanaka MJACOLD) by Buttnicks Manufacturing of Seattle and the inspiration for the Captain America " Winter Soldier" jacket manufactured by Aero. What a great jacket for RL to produce.

I had no idea anyone had produced a replica .. least of all RL .... and it's a REALLY nice replica. Constructed in nicely aged deerskin ( 1.4-1.7mm ) very soft in hand yet quite sturdy and thick. Sympathetically constructed to mimic all of the features of the original even down to the cut / drop and attachment of the straps etc. (with the exception that the metal hardware is aged brass rather than the nickel of the original although I prefer the brass TBH).

It's really well put together and very close to the original with all of the key design featured .. 2 piece sleeve rather than the three piece commonly used by Aero et al ... cotton flannel lining with diamond tack design on rear pleats ... even the reverse pocket on the LHS ( it's for use with the right hand hence the angle etc. It's really close .... not JC close .... but really close :)

I'll post some wearing pics later in the week .. as always ... I don't need advice on fit .... no I REALLY don't need fit advice, I know what fits and more importantly what fits me :)

The Original :

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That's really nice! I really like these simpler designs of double breasted short jackets.
They have the cool factor of the Perfecto/J-24 style jacket without the motorcycle association.

samo

One of the Regulars
Very nice Plumbline, the jacket is amazing. Really like the colour and graining and it also seems to be very supple too. Deer skin jacket was always high on my wish list:).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21