Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JJ Hat Center & Pork Pie Hatters NYC

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I came across this old thread. I am heading to NYC tomorrow morning, driving up from NC and staying in a hotel in NJ. Taking my wife to NYC for her first time (I grew up on Long Island many years ago) and have been living in PA and NC for the past years. Anyway it is her 40th birthday and taking her to her first broadway musical (been a dream of her's) and going to squeeze in some of the sights before heading back on Friday. I was wondering if anyone still recommends visiting any of these hat shops? With ebay, the FL classifieds, etsy, custom hatters, hatco outlet and online websites is it worth taking the time to stop by? My guess the experience would be fun but as far as actually finding and purchasing a hat probably not?
wow ... digging up an oldie

PPH is no longer there ... JJ is worth a visit as is Bencraft in BK

highly recommend both if you are in the area

Ken David

One of the Regulars
wow ... digging up an oldie

PPH is no longer there ... JJ is worth a visit as is Bencraft in BK

highly recommend both if you are in the area
Absolutely good advise . Talk her out of the Broadway play and go to Delmonico's , too .

Thanks both for the suggestion to stop by JJ's. It was a really short trip and had the chance to stop by for literally 10 mins on Thursday. Neat shop but unfortunately nothing there that really caught my eye. Had a clearance section in the back but mostly uncommon sizes, lot of stuff from PPH that closed down.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I watched the pph blokes videos about hats when I was getting into hats, he demystified hats for me in a good way. I hope he fell on his feet. Seemed a genuine good sort.
Kevin is at JJ now ...

he says a lot of things in those videos that are highly questionable when speaking on vintage ...

he is a good salesman and a hell of a nice guy ... but his vintage knowledge is highly lacking ... he mislead me on a number of occasions some years ago when I was learning

JJ's best vintage hat guy is Adam Coren

Ken David

One of the Regulars
Kevin is at JJ now ...

he says a lot of things in those videos that are highly questionable when speaking on vintage ...

he is a good salesman and a hell of a nice guy ... but his vintage knowledge is highly lacking ... he mislead me on a number of occasions some years ago when I was learning

I met Kevin....seemed like a nice guy. My time was limited and was hoping to look at a couple of interesting hats, I browsed the hats behind glass on the right and looked briefly at the hats behind the counter. I did ask one of the other sales guys on what they had in light weight felt and they showed me some off brand I believe with a material sweatband, brim was on the stingy size (was not interested). I then proceeded to remove my hat that I was wearing (Granite Beaver by North West Hatters) and asked if they had anything similar (beaver, larger brim, high crown etc) and that was the end of my visit. Even asked about Borsalinos (but they no longer carry them) I did meet one gentleman on the way from the train station in Newark NJ heading into the city....a fellow hat aficionado that deals with Kevin at JJs (His Borsalinos were getting blocked and cleaned), that was neat.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Kevin is at JJ now ...

Vintage anything with Adam. He knows vintage clothing quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80