Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JJ Hat Center & Pork Pie Hatters NYC

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
how many of you have been to these stores ?

... and what are your thoughts on them

I personally love both stores and have bought some really nice pieces from them

just curious to hear your thoughts on them

Last edited:

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I wish I could go there, but I'm not in NY. I did really enjoy all of Kevin's YouTube videos on shaping hats. That's how I learned to shape my grandfather's hat when I first found it.

Andy

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'm pretty sure that GregNYC can provide some insight regarding JJ Hat Center, but I don't know if he's gone to Pork Pie Hatters.

I'm just a few miles south of the stores since I'm in the Atlanta area, so I can't give an opinion, though I'd like the chance to visit both.

tommyK

One Too Many
They're fine. I always deal with Rod Springer at JJ. He's an older fellow, been in the business forever and can shoot the breeze like no other. Their prices are high but that has a lot to do with keeping a brick and mortar store in the middle of NYC. Between my wife and I we've bought more than 10 hats and get the lifetime discount (10%).
If you're in the city it's worth hopping on the subway (M train to Marcy Ave.,I think?) over to Brooklyn and visit Bencraft. Not as posh but just as good a selection and better prices.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thank you for your thoughts guys

... and I will have to check out that shop in Brooklyn ... wasn't aware of it ... thank you Tommy

tommyK

One Too Many
Moon, you're in Jersey so you might want to do a Saturday road trip up to DelMonico's in New Haven and visit Jeff. Top notch people and service there as well.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm on the hunt for a Borsalino ... don't have one in my collection yet

but I understand that their US distribution is no longer?

so whatever is in stock is it?

will these spots in BK and New Haven have a plentiful Borsalino stock ?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I believe they both have a great selection.

bartcubb

New in Town
I don't know about current distribution issues either, but Bencraft has historically had a large selection of Borsalinos. JJ Hat Center used to carry many Borsalinos but recently they have been stocking more Stetsons and even a few Akubras.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
When I was in NYC two years ago, they had a Borsalino sign up. It's since been replaced by the Stetson one. Unfortunately I was in that part of midtown on a Sunday, so I only got to window gaze.

Bencraft has indeed historically stocked a lot. Delmonico still shows several models on their site.

tommyK

One Too Many
2015-01-31153117_zps1bf73eff.jpg
I was there a few months ago. Last year when I was there with my new Premiere Stratoliner from DelMonico's they didn't seem all that interested. Now they've changed the sign and sell lots of open crown Stetsons. They still have some Borsalinos but not like they used to.

Last edited:

JoeyC

One of the Regulars

Bencraft always had good selection of Borsalinos, purchased a couple from DelMonico as well but it's been a few years for me as well regarding Borsalinos so I would take Tommy's advicea and call.

Joe

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Borsalino used to have an American office that distributed the hats in the US. All of us except Bencraft bought our hats through them. Because of Bencrafts large volume in general and religious hats in particular they bought from Borsalino directly. Borsallino has since closed its US office and now Bollman Hats is the importer and all US shops will receive their hat through Bollman. We have received all the hats that we have been looking for from Bollman including some 100% Beavers that came in this week that we have not seen in over two years.

Jeff Dyer

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Borsalino used to have an American office that distributed the hats in the US. All of us except Bencraft bought our hats through them. Because of Bencrafts large volume in general and religious hats in particular they bought from Borsalino directly. Borsallino has since closed its US office and now Bollman Hats is the importer and all US shops will receive their hat through Bollman. We have received all the hats that we have been looking for from Bollman including some 100% Beavers that came in this week that we have not seen in over two years.

Jeff Dyer

extremely helpful

thank you Jeff

GREAT store!

When I visited last year, wearing my blue steel Vintage Silhouette, one of the more senior gentlemen who worked there asked to check out (and brush up) my hat. As he slowly and methodically brushed away, his comment was "We used to carry hats like this," (then his head started to slowly move side to side) "but not any more..."

I felt pretty good.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
GREAT store!

When I visited last year, wearing my blue steel Vintage Silhouette, one of the more senior gentlemen who worked there asked to check out (and brush up) my hat. As he slowly and methodically brushed away, his comment was "We used to carry hats like this," (then his head started to slowly move side to side) "but not any more..."

I felt pretty good.

awesome

was that at JJ ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass