Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JJ Hat Center & Pork Pie Hatters NYC

boze

One of the Regulars
JJ and Pork Pie were both good visits the one time I went. I preferred the hats at JJ but same owner and knowledgeable, helpful staff.

My best shopping experience was at DelMonico Hatters in New Haven, where Jeff Dyer took care of me.

tommyK

One Too Many
Thought I'd share this here as Borsalino's were mentioned. I had my first free day in a while so went here;
7c9fb472-3d0d-4746-a952-3f9c984ded24_zps1sgarlcl.jpg
Bencraft.
Talked to Besdor a little. He didn't want to sell me any of his vintage Borso shipping boxes but I did get this;
59bf3a2b-41bb-4ff3-b63d-4b3e27c65212_zps9o3pg0t9.jpg 8e423bd7-b96d-474e-b759-3efc1a3bc093_zps0hzk6kte.jpg
Borsalino Alessandria in a light blueish grey.
I asked to see a couple of hats and different colors, mainly the greys in the Allesandrias. They had every color in the two sizes I tried on (60-61 it varies with the Borso's). So they are well stocked if this is the brand you're looking for.
Coincidentally, a hatco rep was there as well. Got to see some of them as well. the new Racine in the natural color looked very nice. They'll be getting some of the open crown Stetsons for fall.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thought I'd share this here as Borsalino's were mentioned. I had my first free day in a while so went here;
View attachment 28402
Bencraft.
Talked to Besdor a little. He didn't want to sell me any of his vintage Borso shipping boxes but I did get this;
View attachment 28403 View attachment 28404
Borsalino Allesandria in a light blueish grey.
I asked to see a couple of hats and different colors, mainly the greys in the Allesandrias. They had every color in the two sizes I tried on (60-61 it varies with the Borso's). So they are well stocked if this is the brand you're looking for.
Coincidentally, a hatco rep was there as well. Got to see some of them as well. the new Racine in the natural color looked very nice. They'll be getting some of the open crown Stetsons for fall.

thinking of heading over to Brooklyn tomorrow morning

which location would you recommend hitting up ?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
thinking of heading over to Brooklyn tomorrow morning

which location would you recommend hitting up ?

Steve is in and out at the Broadway location. Dont kno abt Stanley. Robert is usually at Bway. Issac at the other location is who to speak too if Stanley or Steve isn't there.

tommyK

One Too Many
I've only gone to the 236 Broadway location. Take the J or M subway to Brooklyn. First stop Marcy Ave. Just down the next block. As I said before, better prices than JJ depending on what you're looking for. He isn't stocking any of the open crown Stetson's yet. They were making shelf space for summer hats.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I've only gone to the 236 Broadway location. Take the J or M subway to Brooklyn. First stop Marcy Ave. Just down the next block. As I said before, better prices than JJ depending on what you're looking for. He isn't stocking any of the open crown Stetson's yet. They were making shelf space for summer hats.

I'm going with my heart set on a Borsalino felt

good chances ?

tommyK

One Too Many
I'm going with my heart set on a Borsalino felt

good chances ?

As good a chance as you're likely to get they'll have something you want in the size and color you want and the best price. I hadn't realized they'd gone up to $290. Last one I bought from them was $250. i think they're still the cheapest around. Are they worth it? many here say no. For you to decide.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
View attachment 28402
Bencraft.
View attachment 28403 View attachment 28404
Borsalino Alessandria in a light blueish grey.

Tommy, I bought that same Borsalino in that color from Bencraft a few years ago, wanted it to wear to step out when my wife and I celebrated our anniversary that year. I also have it in brown, taupe, steel and 2 silverbelly. No navy. The two silverbelly are from DelMonico though, plus three remaining SB and 1 Continental homburg from the 70's.

Joe

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
so I took a run over to Brooklyn this morning and hit up Bencraft

it was everything you guys said it would be .... Borsalinos to the ceiling

Robert helped me and was patient , gracious, and extremely knowledgeable

what a great experience in a historic NY landmark in hats .... thanks guys for the recommendation

I left with a beautiful brown Borsalino Bellagio

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Glad it worked out.
They get shipments of new hats a couple times a year, if I recall correctly March or April is one of those times so a good time to find the model, color and size you want.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Glad it worked out.
They get shipments of new hats a couple times a year, if I recall correctly March or April is one of those times so a good time to find the model, color and size you want.

yeah

they were in the process of putting out all the summer lines so there were literally boxes to the ceiling .... and you've been there you know the place is basically a hallway :)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
We love happy customers!!!!!!

Steven
Bencraft Hats

Steven

your store is amazing .

I had a great time with Robert .... he was just great.... really funny.... he was giving me the history of the store and showing me pictures on the wall and explaining who they were... one of them being your father .

Robert is very proud of the store .... as he should be

he was really really helpful and patient ..... I'm a bit picky and looked at probably 20 hats... and he was happy to help the whole time ... even when having to go in the back and next door to give me pieces to look at.

when I finally chose the hat I wanted he steamed it up and shaped it like the complete pro that he is exactly how I wanted it

hands down the best hat shop I have visited in my life

your Borsalino selection is nothing short of impressive

thank you sir for providing that service

Anthony

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael