Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John B Stetson in Dunn's Falls Mississippi?

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I'm originally from Mississippi. Had a friend send a link to several Mississippi "lists" of " things you never knew about Mississippi" or titles such as that. Several have some rather dubious claims that John B " learned and perfected" his trade at Dunn's Falls Mississippi ( near Meridan). I know Stetson traveled West from his hone in NJ before he returned east to Philadelphia to establish his company. I know it's possible that he spent some time in Mississippi, but I had never heard about his link to Dunn's Falls. BTW, Dunn's Falls wasn't established until mid 1850, when a fellow named Dunn built a grist mill on the site of the falls. I think Mr Stetson had learned hat making from his father long before that. The mill was appropriated by the Confederate government during the civil war. Some Others on this site might know more about Mr. Stetsons history, but I'm thinking this was some kind of local myth that got picked up and appropriated into these " interesting facts" sites. It's easy to google John B Stetson Dunn's Falls and find several hits to various sites making such claims. What think the experts? Regards, Marlin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot