Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Depp told to drop the hats by Vanessa Paradis

fmw

One Too Many
I'm not suggesting he isn't genuine or that he is faking anything. I'm not criticizing his work as an actor. I'm only arguing with those who think his dress is stylish. His dressing habits may well suit his personality and his eccentricity but they aren't stylish.

GamaH

A-List Customer
I'm not suggesting he isn't genuine or that he is faking anything. I'm not criticizing his work as an actor. I'm only arguing with those who think his dress is stylish. His dressing habits may well suit his personality and his eccentricity but they aren't stylish.

Well, girls dig it..

4spurs

One of the Regulars
I suspect she was quoted out of context. I frequently tell my wife to get ride of her shoes; at any given time she has eight pairs laying around the front door for her convenience, they get in my way, so I tell her "get ride of your shoes." I don't mean toss them out; just move them. I suspect something similar is beneath the tempest in this teacup.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
We only seem to see a few hats repeatedly in photos. Since he has 2 rooms of hats and we know he has purchased new custom hats from some vendors, he must dress somewhat differently when not in the public eye...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
lulz at the people miles out of Depp's demographic knocking his look. I think Feraud's gif summed it up well.

As to his hats, what we might consider a hat room
Home-Office.jpg

might not be what Depp considers a hat room.
Indiana%2BJones%2BWarehouse.jpg

GamaH

A-List Customer
Yeah, no foolin'. Johnny Depp has great style -- not a style that would work for me, nor perhaps for anyone but him. But he, or whoever helps him with such things, really knows how to put the elements together so they work as a whole, on him. And he doesn't look like he's in a costume, which, sadly, is how way too many people look in their attempts to "rock" a style.

I agree with this. It's a costume if *I* or anyone else tried to emulate his style. But he practically created it, so I don't see how it looks like a costume; he's not trying to dress like ____ or ____.

This ...

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
And fedoras and suits are less costumey?

I would actually argue that a fedora and a vintage suit is MORE costumey in this day and age , as those fashions are not in style.

Depp takes an anachronism (the fedora) and incorporates it into a more modern sensibility, informed by vintage style yes, but at the same time uniquely his own. That's style. One may or may not like said style, but to insist that it is not "a" style, is silly.

GamaH

A-List Customer
I would actually argue that a fedora and a vintage suit is MORE costumey in this day and age , as those fashions are not in style.

Depp takes an anachronism (the fedora) and incorporates it into a more modern sensibility, informed by vintage style yes, but at the same time uniquely his own. That's style. One may or may not like said style, but to insist that it is not "a" style, is silly.

I completely agree with this. Verbatim.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Dear Mr. Depp,

I know this is hard to hear, believe me, it is difficult for me to write it.
I am loath to butt in to your affairs, and I know how much it hurts when you come to an impasse with a woman who is important to you ... But I am sure that I speak for the majority of your male fans when I plead with you

WAKE UP AND GROW A PAIR!

Tell this harpy to take a hike.
The world is full of women who will NOT attempt to dictate your head wear.
My gosh, what is she thinking?

Trust me, Mr. Depp, you will never be sorry to move on and find a woman who appreciates fine fedoras.

Hope you can forgive this intrusion and will accept this suggestion in the spirit it was intended.

You true fan,

Sam

Feraud

Bartender

Exactamundo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy