Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers Black Cherry Bison jacket

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As you may have noticed, the leather used for the collar is different. By the time I thought of adding a collar, JL had already received the red bison and there was not enough for this addition. So Alan thought of using the shrunken horse used for @Aloysius . It does fit well I think!

I think so too!

I was going to add the photos of my jacket to this thread because my own is a cousin to yours and a sibling to @Canuck Panda's grizzly, but I guess ours are siblings too!

IMG_7268.jpg

A fascinating thing about this jacket, compared to some of my other favourites, is that the shape seems kind of underwhelming when it's laid flat on the ground. This transforms when you have it on your body–3D vs 2D patterning indeed! Doing up the zip here did a bit to show the definition of the shape. (Yes I know I missed a button when putting the collar on there.)
IMG_7267.jpg

IMG_7265.jpg

Similarly, zipping it up gives a sense of the real arc of the deepened back yoke, something I didn't see when laying it flat and unzipped, but was obvious looking in the mirror when I had it on.
IMG_7266.jpg

Of course, this is precisely how a jacket should be! It should come into its own when worn, with the wearer's form setting the pattern in place.

IMG_7264.jpg

Though no one sees it, I thought this cotton lining was a nice touch. Originally I wanted that really thick smooth lining that Cals usually have, but the colors and breathability of this particular cotton won me over.

Massive props to Alan and the rest of the JL team for an amazing jacket and even better customer service.

Unfortunately, the weather to wear it in has been pretty rare since it arrived, so I haven't had much chance to get a good photo of it in use (when I have gone out with it I haven't had my camera or anything) so this is the best I can do for now. I had cinched the jacket the right *amount* but I hadn't distributed it right along the cinches, so it bunched; I've since fixed that for a clean V.
IMG_7215.jpg

Last edited:

Aloysius

I meant to add that while this is the sibling of red and Canuck's jackets, it's the son of @ton312's Johnson and I hope he'll appreciate the exaggerated Western yoke I requested.

This thread has really boosted JL’s hit points. Two amazing and unique jackets. @red devil I respect your vision and creativity immensely! I love the 70’s jackets you’ve collected. They are fresh and original. They level up the hobby in the best way possible. This all points me in the direction of an email to Alan and Damon. I love that they’ll take a crack at stuff like this and the result speaks for itself. F’ing brilliant!!!

Hat tipped gents! Two stunning jackets that are an absolute breath of fresh air!

Observe

One Too Many
I think so too!

I was going to add the photos of my jacket to this thread because my own is a cousin to yours and a sibling to @Canuck Panda 's grizzly, but I guess ours are siblings too!

View attachment 617259

A fascinating thing about this jacket, compared to some of my other favourites, is that the shame seems kind of underwhelming when it's laid flat on the ground. This transforms when you have it on your body–3D vs 2D patterning indeed! Doing up the zip here did a bit to show the definition of the shape. (Yes I know I missed a button when putting the collar on there.)
View attachment 617260
View attachment 617262

Similarly, zipping it up gives a sense of the real arc of the deepened back yoke, something I didn't see when laying it flat and unzipped, but was obvious looking in the mirror when I had it on.
View attachment 617263

Of course, this is precisely how a jacket should be! It should come into its own when worn, with the wearer's form setting the pattern in place.

View attachment 617264
Though no one sees it, I thought this cotton lining was a nice touch. Originally I wanted that really thick smooth lining that Cals usually have, but the colors and breathability of this particular cotton won me over.

Massive props to Alan and the rest of the JL team for an amazing jacket and even better customer service.

Unfortunately, the weather to wear it in has been pretty rare since it arrived, so I haven't had much chance to get a good photo of it in use (when I have gone out with it I haven't had my camera or anything) so this is the best I can do for now. I had cinched the jacket the right *amount* but I hadn't distributed it right along the cinches, so it bunched; I've since fixed that for a clean V.
View attachment 617265
I love the sheen on the leather. It has an iridescent quality, almost like an oil slick on water.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I know JL are very highly regarded on this forum. But we should be pounding the table and shouting from the rooftops for them more. Maybe TFL guys with popular social media accounts could give them a shout out?

red devil

The style is not something I would normally go for (yet), but this jacket is an absolute masterpiece. I cannot wait to one day submit a custom order with JL.

It is definitely a great experience! I would recommend you start figuring out from now what you want and then start refining your vision. The beauty of it is that JL will help you avoid any mistakes, they are good at turning all sorts of ideas into reality.

I think so too!

I was going to add the photos of my jacket to this thread because my own is a cousin to yours and a sibling to @Canuck Panda's grizzly, but I guess ours are siblings too!

View attachment 617259

A fascinating thing about this jacket, compared to some of my other favourites, is that the shape seems kind of underwhelming when it's laid flat on the ground. This transforms when you have it on your body–3D vs 2D patterning indeed! Doing up the zip here did a bit to show the definition of the shape. (Yes I know I missed a button when putting the collar on there.)
View attachment 617260
View attachment 617262

View attachment 617263

View attachment 617264

View attachment 617265

Thanks for posing your jacket here, they are indind siblings :)

I really like how it turned out, and that lining works reallywell! We need more fit pics when you get the chance :D

This thread has really boosted JL’s hit points. Two amazing and unique jackets. @red devil I respect your vision and creativity immensely! I love the 70’s jackets you’ve collected. They are fresh and original. They level up the hobby in the best way possible. This all points me in the direction of an email to Alan and Damon. I love that they’ll take a crack at stuff like this and the result speaks for itself. F’ing brilliant!!!

Hat tipped gents! Two stunning jackets that are an absolute breath of fresh air!

Thanks! I could return the same praise to you, you has a really special jacket made recently :D

Rgcards

A-List Customer
Boy, this thread really highlights how underated Johnson leather is. Just spectacular work.

Aloysius

yours is nice and somewhat subtle if that makes any sense..some have struck me as too over the top. and I am the #1 grain fan

I know what you mean. I've been put off by some forms of grain even as a big fan of it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Small update the hide has come in for new project should be done within a week or so a very nice indigo bison that they ordered for me
Looks like Horween's Montana Bison tannage. Nice. Can't wait to see the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
girlmom