Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Josh Bernstein's hat

MattJH

One Too Many
I don't have the answer, but for the sake of relevance, his first two (or three?) hats were Akubras before he moved into the custom-made ones.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I just picked up his book yesterday and was going to post about this anyway!:D This is directly quoted from his book...
It may not help but still interesting, he explains in the book that it was Clint Eastwood's westerns that made him want the hat.:)

" My Hat --It's not a Fedora"
"I don't wear a fedora. I never have. However, I have worn a cowboy hat ever since I was fifteen, when I traveled to a store several hours from home to buy just the right one.It was a brown, low crown, wide brim, mixed felt hat, made by Akubra, which I wore for several years. It was a constant companion on my journeys. I even gave it a nickname: Henry. When I was eighteen , I bought mysecond cowboy hat- also an Akubra- which was similar to the first and therefore, named henry II.
At 26, I became CEO of Boss and rewarded myself with a new hat- this one is a custom-made, 100 percent beaver felt model, made by master hatter Steve King in Telluride, Colorado. Henry III wasn't cheap, but he was a sturdy companion through some of my most challenging adventures.
During season two of the show, Henry IV and Henry V showed up, in slightly different shades. Also 100 percent beaver, also custom made, but this time by Steve's protege, Nathaniel Funmaker of Mancos, Colorado. All are low crown, wide brim cowboy hats that i'm happy to wear on or off the show- after 20 -plus years, they're simply a part of who I am. Just please, don't call it a fedora."

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
closest match would be...

So if the hat he wears is a custom version of his old Akubra, I'd say the closest Akubra in style would be the Silver Spur (Santone Fawn for the colour). It comes as an open crown hat so you can replicate his bash.
The Snowy river is too cowboy and the cattleman has a bound brim, which his doesn't look like it has.

IMHO

bearing in mind I don't know who the guy is and just looked at a couple of shots of the hat on a google image search.

oswd

New in Town
Thank you to everyone

I see that Snowy River and Cattleman are the ones who most resemble

I'm sorry for my English, it's very poor. :(

SMCK

New in Town
Yesterday I posted in another thread (Anything wrong with snowy river) that I have a Snowy river that I didn,t wear until I took half an inch off the brim.I now love it. Dr. Strange replied that he had an Akubra stockman which is in fact similar to the snowy river but with a smaller brim.His hat has the sweeping brim of the snowy river, but mine since I trimmed it looks exactly like the one you have posted Oswd. It seems to have lost the sweeping brim, perhaps through age or wear and tear.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
So why did Josh and his show vanish?...and can we get Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations) or Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods) to wear a hat...?:D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
So why did Josh and his show vanish?...and can we get Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations) or Andrew Zimmern (Bizarre Foods) to wear a hat...?:D

If Bourdain dons a hat, he'll probably over-do it. I like his show, but he really does go over the top on most everything.

He tries so hard to project his bad boy image (earned or not), that I'd expect a beret with a full episode devoted to its history, the reasons why real men wear them, and how the Ramones, his very best friends, used to love them.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
lol lol True lol lol
Zimmern would do good with one though..at least help him get rid of those wool caps he puts on...:p

He does look like a wide brimmed panama kind of guy.

I'm not sure I'd want to be eating live scorpions or fetal duck eggs near my hat...although, a posting on the Lounge about how to get scorpion out of a panama would make for a good read. :p

MAB1

Suspended
Colby Jack said:

I think that if... they fall short... they are forced to eat their hats. :rolleyes:

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I just picked up his book yesterday and was going to post about this anyway!:D This is directly quoted from his book...

"...It was a brown, low crown, wide brim, mixed felt hat, made by Akubra, ..."

I just twigged to this bit,
a mixed felt Akubra?

Not a lot of beaver felt used in Australia (and as far as I know no one has ever tried to make a platapus felt hat).

If it was an Akubra then it was rabbit but if it was mixed felt it wasn't an Akubra
(am I right?)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
indycop said:
It may not help but still interesting, he explains in the book that it was Clint Eastwood's westerns that made him want the hat.:)

" My Hat --It's not a Fedora"
"I don't wear a fedora. I never have. However, I have worn a cowboy hat ever since I was fifteen, when I traveled to a store several hours from home to buy just the right one.It was a brown, low crown, wide brim, mixed felt hat, made by Akubra, which I wore for several years. It was a constant companion on my journeys. I even gave it a nickname: Henry. When I was eighteen , I bought mysecond cowboy hat- also an Akubra- which was similar to the first and therefore, named henry II.
At 26, I became CEO of Boss and rewarded myself with a new hat- this one is a custom-made, 100 percent beaver felt model, made by master hatter Steve King in Telluride, Colorado. Henry III wasn't cheap, but he was a sturdy companion through some of my most challenging adventures.
During season two of the show, Henry IV and Henry V showed up, in slightly different shades. Also 100 percent beaver, also custom made, but this time by Steve's protege, Nathaniel Funmaker of Mancos, Colorado. All are low crown, wide brim cowboy hats that i'm happy to wear on or off the show- after 20 -plus years, they're simply a part of who I am. Just please, don't call it a fedora."

Nice fedora he wears. Fedora, fedora, fedora. There. Dig that!:D

Woodfluter

Practically Family
ADHD librarian said:
I just twigged to this bit,
a mixed felt Akubra?

Not a lot of beaver felt used in Australia (and as far as I know no one has ever tried to make a platapus felt hat).

If it was an Akubra then it was rabbit but if it was mixed felt it wasn't an Akubra
(am I right?)

I noticed that too. Maybe he just thought it was mixed. How about mixed rabbit and hare? Or just mixed-up rabbits?

It is a good-looking hat though, and he wears it well.

- Bill
ADHD, it's not a disability, it's nice hat, where did I leave my keys, oh yeah next to the camera, time to change the batteries...(that's me to a T)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner