Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought a cotton B-15 jacket

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, I just took the plunge and bought a B-15 bomber jacket. It's cotton, and I bought it off of Amazon, though, and it may not be all that authentic, but I do like how it looks.

http://www.amazon.com/VINTAGE-COTTO...r_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1270523367&sr=8-3

Here's a picture of how it appears closer-up:

31%2B8Kg0js3L._SS500_.jpg

I might try to post a picture of it when it arrives too. Think I did pretty good with this purchase? As far as I can remember, it's only my third or fourth "vintage-inspired" purchase after my fedoras. I'm still new to the scene, so to speak, but I have always liked classic styles. This was my most economical option, as far as B-15 jackets go, and I did want to start out with a cotton jacket, rather than a leather one (I might get to that eventually, I do fancy myself a U.S. Navy G-1). I know U.S. Wings offers a cotton B-15, and it's likely more accurate, but it's a bit pricy for my budget right now.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
For the price, I think you did great. It is unfortunately not O.D. but when you do look at the prices for some of the accurate ones, that's called massive sticker shock. If accuracy is not a problem then I say go with what you have. It's got a nice vintage vibe as is.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! It should be here in about a week. As for the olive-drab, I thought that only the synthetic B-15s had that color, not the cotton ones (which may or may not have actually been used during the Korean War).

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The B-15 jacket actually came in today. What a pleasant surprise. However, my first impression was that it was pretty baggy. Judging by the pictures, do you think I could do with ordering a different size, or does it look alright?

dsc00401x.jpg

dsc00399ii.jpg

Do you think it looks too baggy, or is this how around how a cotton flight jacket should fit?

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Actually, it doesn't look bad to me at all. That way you can wear a heavier shirt underneath when you need to. It all boils down to how you feel about it yourself. Also, the color looks a lot better in the pictures of yourself. It makes the buy even that much better.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Silver Dollar said:
Actually, it doesn't look bad to me at all. That way you can wear a heavier shirt underneath when you need to. It all boils down to how you feel about it yourself. Also, the color looks a lot better in the pictures of yourself. It makes the buy even that much better.

Thanks for the input! I think I'll end up keeping it after all. My family thinks it looks good on me anyway, no need for a smaller size... Anyway, I'll definitely consider busting the B-15 out when it's cold; I'll dress in layers to make it warmer. As for the color, I like it, it's actually better than the picture, I agree with that, but the picture probably looks brighter because of the lighting/angle, and such anyway. As for it not being olive drab, well, I actually would have preferred khaki for my "starting-out" bomber jacket, which in this case is cotton, not leather or synthetic.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here's an updated picture of me wearing it, after I had given it a wash and a drying off:

dsc00444ul.jpg

I think it's OK, not a perfect, tailored fit by any means, but fits good enough.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
I scored one off ebay last year. The sizing is as you said a bit baggy, and the liner I can tell you is WARM. So deffo not a summer jacket but excellent spring/autumn. The collar openings a bit too low/open for my taste.

Edward

Bartender
I do find a slightly lower collar opening can have the benefit of incorporating a bulky, wool scarf more comfortably - very welcome on dry but cold Winter days! :)

Navin323i

Practically Family
Nice jacket! Love the hat too. I know absolutely nothing about hats other than the baseball style caps I've worn throughout my life, but I did manage to venture into the Hats subforum here and was quite attracted to the Akubra Federation IV but in the gray/carbon color.

I have so much to learn though about how to properly measure my head for a Fedora style hat... most Fedora hats that I try on at department stores never seem to fit properly... always too tight for the most part.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Jacket fit

I think the jacket looks fine for a first starter type, and it being a litttle oversize has a benefit of being able to wear it longer as you grow into it, now you have to have a patch or some art put on it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleGrace86