Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just curious on aspects of hats we like

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Well, maybe my terminology loses its distinction but the BP is a raw edge so to speak. And you are right, 6 was missing. So make one up for me, lol.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
1. My ribbon preferences are on a per hat basis.

2. I have a wide variety of hats including many styles of fedoras in straw, fabric and felt. Many caps and styles of caps in all kinds of different patterns and materials.

3. Plenty of colors.

4. Wear primarily outdoors, but I wear caps inside a lot of the time.

5. 90+ percent of the time I take my hat on and off by the brim and rest it on the crown on something soft. 9-ish percent of the time I take a fedora off by the crown. I never actually rest them on the brim.

JohnnieT

New in Town
I definitely prefer the bound edge over raw. I find it looks better to me and I think the brim wears better with a bit of reinforcement. Western hats growing up taught me how bad an unfinished edge can look if you don't care for it "just so".
I prefer wider ribbons on fedoras, bowlers, and hombergs. Narrower ribbons to me look better on panama hats, westerns, or outbacks. Never really cared at all for string or leather thong hat bands.
I don't take care of mine like I should, I suppose. I have a couple nice hats that are well cared for and kept up with, but for the most part my daily hats are flopped on car seats, tossed on restaurant booths (no one manages a good hat rack anymore), or hung on chairs. I still clean them and hang them correctly at the end of the day, but I'm not afraid to pinch the crown or tweak the brim a bit, as long as I don't crack the felt (the hat sin above all hat sins).
My look generally channels more Bogart or Indy than it does Bing or Fred Astaire. Think Bruce Campbell's newspaper reporter in "the hudsucker proxy". My hats represent a part of me, and while I can be finished and presentable when I need/want to be, I'm a little rough around the edges most of the time. I feel like my hat should be too.

Justdog

Practically Family
Preferences

memphislawyer said:
I was reading around some threads and had some random thoughts that I would ask about, rather than polling.

1) Wide ribbon vs. thin ribbon. Are you one or the other, or lean heavily to one or the other? Me, I have two hats with wide ribbons and THINK I prefer that to thin, but not having tried on a thin ribbon hat, don't know.

2) Do you have a wide variety of different types of hats, or are they all the same? I have a Stetson fedora, 2" brim and a Diamante panama hat with 2 3/4" brim. Dont know that I would prefer rancher/cowboy/outdoors hats and think my next one will be a fedora, maybe an Akubra Stylemaster.

3) Lots of colors or maybe just one or two?

4) Wear it outdoors or indoors as well?

5) Here is a biggie. My Stetson says to rest the hat on the top part, crown, and not the brim, and to take it on and off by the brim, not the crown. Are you fastidious about this or do you use the crown to take it on and off? I tend to use the crown.

Sam

1( 90 Percent thin 2) 2 7/8 1st 2 1/2 3 on an Ecuadorian straw. 3) Light gray
4)Both. Learned to leave hat on crown and will use crown to remove but make sure I loosen it off first as not to tug the sweat. If blocked a certain way I will use the both hands on brim.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
memphislawyer said:
Forgot to ask.

7) Finished brim edge or unfinished? I like the look of the finished brim edge on hats I have seen, but I think my Stetson Saxon, from memory now guys, is unfinished, and finished seems to be more apt to dressier.

I like both, depending on the hat and creasing style. I do believe it is dressier in general but there are probably exceptions.

High Pockets

Practically Family
Great questions, I've enjoyed reading all the posts!!

1) Wide ribbon vs. thin ribbon.
I love the wide ribbons! Only have two thin ribbons and one of them is going to the hat shop today to get a wide one.

2) Do you have a wide variety of different types of hats, or are they all the same?
Only one straw, the rest are either thick or thin felts.

3) Lots of colors or maybe just one or two?
Several browns, several grays, and one black.

4) Wear it outdoors or indoors?
I wear one every time I go out, but I do observe the rules of hat etiquette.

5) Do you use the crown to take it on and off?
One hand low on the crown in front, the other lifting the back from under the brim.

7) Finished brim edge or unfinished?
About half and half, but I really do like the dressy look of a ribbon bound edge!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
1 - So far, just wide ribbons on my fedoras (or semi-wide, like the Stylemaster). I have a Panama with a thin leather "ribbon" (with the ends floating loose on the brim like an OR ribbon), and a couple of Akubra country hats with thin leather bands. I may eventually get a Campdraft, so stay tuned.

2 - A variety: 3 Fedoras, 2 Akubra country hats, 1 Panama (teardrop shape and OR-ish leather "ribbon"), 2 newsboys.

3 - Mostly gray shades, plus 2 browns and 1 natural straw.

4 - Never indoors, unless for costume effect.

5 - I mostly use the brim, but occasionally grip the crown - not frequently enough to cause extra wear.

6 - Only 2 bound edges so far, but definitely more to come: they strike me as both more dressy/finished and likely to wear longer than a plain edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum