Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just watched Chinatown...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Wolf said:
I actually like "The Two Jakes". I think it might be tied into the first film too much. Of course Polanski couldn't come back to direct it. If he steps foot in the U.S. he'll be arrested.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Two Jakes wasn't bad. Jack had to step in to run the film as the initial lead actor gave up or was sacked I think.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It's been a couple of years since I've seen Chinatown. I have it on DVD, I should watch it again sometime. I definitely believe its one of my favorite "more modern" noirs.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I got the even newer DVD release of Chinatown because it mentions on the back of the case that it features four featurettes, including "Chinatown - Style". Who among us wouldn't want that?:D
Sadly, the DVD only has three featurettes, without the style one.:rage:
Has anyone else found this?
Bonus question: which Chinatown do y'all have?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Nicholson's best performance???

Well I may as well fling my farthing in while the debate is still going.
"Chinatown" has been widely recognized as the best crafted screenplay, ever. As for it's follow up, "Two Jakes", it pales, but mostly by comparison, although for certain there were parts of it that had I been the editor would have ended up on the cutting room floor.
That being said, beauty is in the eye, or nose in Jake Gittes case, of the beholder, and one person's opinion is just as valid as the next.
Now then, off to another Nicholson film which strangely enough I didn't see mentioned; "Ironweed". It was from a novel by William Kennedy, one of the all-time great novelists ( in this beholder's eye of course ) and much to my surprise, even Hollywood didn't ruin it as a film version.
However, if you haven't seen it, may I suggest checking with your shrink beforehand if you have suicidal tendencies because it is a downer in many ways. Plus it has the extra benefit of Meryll (?) Streep as co-star.
Hope I didn't bend too many ears with my long-winded comments.
Best Regards,
Frankie Lamb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy