Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping stuff in your pockets

shortbow

Practically Family
I have recently come to the conclusion, that for myself, there is no such thing as a pair of comfortable blue jeans. As the march of time has had its way with me, a certain part of my anatomy has become somewhat more pronounced. So, I am nowadays wearing pleated cords and khakies held up with suspenders which I find nearly as comfortable as my birthday suit. Only problem is all the small stuff in my pockets (change, phone, keys, pocket knife, lighter, cartridges) falls out every time I sit down.

Any remedies from you veterans?

Thanks.

Next time you get a pair of trousers, make sure they have deeper pockets. The ones you have, take them to a tailor to get the pockets done.

I almost always wear a sport coat for this exact reason - pockets. The practicality of the pockets is perfect.

Peterman said it best, with the Norfolk jacket, "A man needs pockets. And some men ... need lots of them."

shortbow

Practically Family
Thankyou my good man. Deeper pockets.:eusa_doh:

The three cooler seasons I always wear a vest and/or jacket. It's these warmer months had me flumoxed.

Best Regards,

J

freebird

Practically Family
I usually wear my cell on my belt, car keys, I don't normally carry, unless I'm out and about. Same with change. I've hit the same problem with jeans not fitting comfortably though, and have considered a good old pair of overalls.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Cell phone and wallet goes to the breast pockets of the jacket, keys and MP3 player goes to trousers, whatever they are. Who needs to carry more stuff?

Lion

New in Town
shortbow said:
Well, 67 look-sees and no replies. Either it was a stupid question or those in the know are keeping it a secret.:rolleyes:

I looked and didn't reply, because I don't have an answer for you. I'm still working on that one myself.

Leo

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CharlestonBows said:
I almost always wear a sport coat for this exact reason - pockets.
My most recent ex-wife once attempted to justify her purchase of an expensive Hermès purse by comparing the utility of a purse to that of a gent's suit/sport coat; She had a point.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
donCarlos said:
Cell phone and wallet goes to the breast pockets of the jacket, keys and MP3 player goes to trousers, whatever they are. Who needs to carry more stuff?

I don't have an MP3 player, and I usually keep my mobile in my schoolbag. But I've still got my watch, wallet, pocket handkerchief, keys, eyeglass cloth, and pen. That's usually not to much, but it's a lot nicer when I'm wearing a waistcoat.

Fanny Packs

Pyroxene said:
I spit cola all over my keyboard when I read that. I don't see this forum and fanny packs going together too well. Just my POV
I tend to use one every once in a while such as when on vacation to bring a digital camera and organize stuff like sunglasses with the other odds and ends that get collected on a trip.

The guys I know that tend to wear fanny packs are off duty cops and it is where they keep their off duty gun.

shortbow

Practically Family
Nay, a fanny pack is not my thing. As to man purses, I have some cool canvas and/or leather shell bags and satchels and such, but only use them in the bush. It's just the day-to-day banging around with full pockets that is the problem. In my pockets all the time:

Couple of spare rifle cartridges
Compass
Match case
Watch
Fountain pen
Coins
Bills
Lucky chunk of turquoise
Banjo picks
Pen knife
Folding hunter
Cell phone
Notebook
Wallet

Any wonder I wear suspenders?:p

What I need is a time machine to go back and ask the old timers what they did when in shirtsleeves. I know in lots of the old pics you see lots of vests, but when it's in the nineties, I just can't put up with them.

DerMann

Practically Family
I try to keep stuff out of my trouser pockets and in my sportjacket pockets, much more convenient and much safer.

During the summer (no school) I carry the following when on a jaunt with my friends (by pocket):

Inside left sportjacket pocket:
-Fountain pen
-Pocket watch (if it decides to work that day >: ( )

Inside right pocket:
-Cell phone

Outside left pocket:
-Comb
-Chapstick
-Eye glass cloth
-Any other accoutrements needed for the day

Outside right pocket:
-Car keys
-House keys
-Two flash drives

Left side trouser pocket:
-Empty

Right side trouser pocket:
-Butterfly knife (more for entertainment and showing off than anything)

Left back trouser pocket:
-Wallet

Right back trouser pocket:
-Handkerchief

Really, you can't beat a good sportjacket for sheer pocket acreage. My favourite sportjackets have a little coin caddy built into the outer right pocket. Absolutely marvellous invention.

Also, I follow the rule that a gentleman does not use his breast pocket for anything but pocket squares and handkerchiefs. Mostly because nothing fits in there, and if it does, it ruins the shape of the jacket.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
With all the stuff you guys carry around, may I suggest:

928_1.jpg

Bulky pockets are so OUT - unless you are a paratrooper in Normandy 1944.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran