Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping the Faith

I thought I would share this enlightenment. This is a random pondering that came to me earlier tonight out of the blue as I was driving on the highway.

All people, while driving, regardless of geographic location, have a certain amount of trust for the others driving around them. When you're driving on the highway, you believe that the person in front of you won't suddenly come to a complete stop. You trust that those driving beside you won't suddenly ram into your car. But why do you believe that? Simply stated, most people will respond "Well, because people just don't do that. People don't just decide to STOP on a highway when other cars are behind them traveling at high speed". Right? But why? What is it about people that make them "just not do that"? Is it just common sense? Is it because such an idea is crazy? What is that undefined "something" that people recognize in humanity, and why are we all so quick to believe in it?

As you drive your car, you are surrounded by other cars - each containing a person with different personal beliefs. A pastor may drive his/her car and the next car over may be driven by an atheist. But, each trusts each other enough to adhere to the fundamental laws of being human. One of those laws is that you wouldn't dare make a complete stop on a highway. It's not written anywhere that this is how people should behave, it's just understood by everyone. But, what it basically is, is the belief in that which cannot be seen or explained. In other words, it's faith. People have faith in one another on such basic levels that they can't even see it.

If you're walking down the street, and someone else is walking by you, you just automatically assume that the other person won't decide to punch you out of nowhere. You believe that. You don't know why, but you believe that. You know nothing about the other person or their mental stability, but you would be more inclined to think that they won't punch you. It's a natural understanding that "people just don't do that".

The most impressive thing about this subconscious understanding is that it contradicts conscious behavior. If people in general have this ability to believe in the unseen, then even in the adamant heart of an atheist, faith still exists.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Well, having the "adamant heart of an atheist", I agree. I have always had faith in humankind's undefined goodness--what kind of an existence would this be if I didn't?

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Someone I know, I think it was my dad, used to call that "Blind Trust". I think that was basically one of his excuses for me during my middle school years when, thanks to all the bullying I received, I didn't trust my peers at all.

but yes, I still think about that interesting phenomenon, especially when I'm out in heavy traffic; knowing how easy it could be for someone to screw up where they're going and create a big messy accident. ...Oh yes, but not to dwell on it...:rolleyes:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Driving in general is an illustration of trust to be sure. I have found that in countries such as Latin American ones where driving is crazy compared to ours you watch out for your left side and the other guy's right side in relation to you and the next guy to your right does the same so the heard of cars moves and turns like a flight of birds. Amazing once you get into the flow.:D

Ain't Necessarily So

Midnight Palace said:
...All people, while driving, regardless of geographic location, have a certain amount of trust for the others driving around them. When you're driving on the highway, you believe that the person in front of you won't suddenly come to a complete stop. You trust that those driving beside you won't suddenly ram into your car...
Ride a motorcycle for a few minutes or a few decades and you will change your mind. You must assume that is exactly what will happen - that is how I was trained. http://www.msf-usa.org/ Rally tales like "...gee, you look great!..." "...yeah, the plastic surgeon only had my old drivers licsence picture so I look younger. Damn lady turned left on the freeway. Cops who arrived said we thought you were dead, we see 'em all the time..." Only yesterday a young rider of an old Harley foot clutch model told me about the old couple he heard at the stoplight say "Get Him!" and proceeded to run him off the road.
Scan. Identify. Predict. Decide. Execute. Visual Acuity. I Am Already Dead. We Who Are About To Die Salute You. Hang the **** up and Drive.

Bebop

Practically Family
Funny, I thought I was the only one pondering such things while on long drives. [huh]

I believe you react to situations based on prior experiences with those situations. I was bullied, beat up and had my eyeglasses broken many times as a kid, so for the past 40 or so years, unconciously, I expect that when someone seems to be aggressive around me, my glasses will fly off my face and I will be sightless so I go into a "get them before they get me" mode that has embarassed me more than once :eek: . The few times it has happened to me as an adult, it always brought me back to the poundings I would recieve after loosing my eyeglasses :rage: . I think past trauma would dictate the amount of faith available.

The word faith is not exclusive to religion. I am an Atheist and far from faithless. Faith in the future and in people are essential to living a calm, productive and proactive life.

Bebop

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Exactly. If you live past the few minutes you will lose all faith in the concept of common sense.

If you have faith that cars will pull incredibley stupid manuvers around you while riding a motorcycle, I think common sense would dictate to stay off the motorcycles and climb into a car. [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
Bebop said:
If you have faith that cars will pull incredibley stupid manuvers around you while riding a motorcycle, I think common sense would dictate to stay off the motorcycles and climb into a car. [huh]
Common sense is I cannot ride a motorcycle because everyone else is an idiot?? There is nothing common sense about that line of thinking at all.
I do have a car.. a lovely Mustang. It was hit twice while parked on the street and I was not even in the car. Do I have to pull a George Jetson and turn the car into a suitcase that I can take with me??
How about people not change lanes without signalling and looking their mirrors? Or backing up down a one way street going 40 m.p.h.? Or pulling U-Turns in traffic?
The responsibility should be on them, not me. Driving is a priviledge not a right. I have never been involved or the cause of a traffic accident 20 years of having a drivers license. Why should I flee the road?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Common sense is I cannot ride a motorcycle because everyone else is an idiot?? There is nothing common sense about that line of thinking at all.
I do have a car.. a lovely Mustang. It was hit twice while parked on the street and I was not even in the car. Do I have to pull a George Jetson and turn the car into a suitcase that I can take with me??
How about people not change lanes without signalling and looking their mirrors? Or backing up down a one way street going 40 m.p.h.? Or pulling U-Turns in traffic?
The responsibility should be on them, not me. Driving is a priviledge not a right. I have never been involved or the cause of a traffic accident 20 years of having a drivers license. Why should I flee the road?

heheh true...granted...I will categorically state that the california law...allows cycles to 'lane split'....which is a freaking dangerous thing...period...and probably causes the vast majority of cycle accidents....

Feraud

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
heheh true...granted...I will categorically state that the california law...allows cycles to 'lane split'....which is a freaking dangerous thing...period...and probably causes the vast majority of cycle accidents....
Agreed that lane splitting is dangerous.

I am responding to the idea that because car drivers are reckless anyone should avoid riding a motorcycle. That is blaming the victim.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Agreed that lane splitting is dangerous.

I am responding to the idea that because car drivers are reckless anyone should avoid riding a motorcycle. That is blaming the victim.

Indeed...on that I agree. And if the cycle rider is being responsable....then its fine. Heck...if I thought I was coordinated enough...would ride one...save on gas money to work.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I do not have faith in my fellow man in this regard. Having spent time in the military and a few years as part of a personal protection detachment in the private sector, I was trained in defensive and evasive/counter ambush driving. I think you have to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Where I live, and increasingly all throughout the world, carjacking is becoming an increasing problem. While I do not expect someone to just come to a complete dead stop in the middle of a highway, I do know that some thug or hood rat will think nothing of coming up to my car as I am: at a stop light, at an intersection, leaving/arriving home, in a parcking lot and either force me out at gunpoint or shoot me without warning in order to steal my car. Heck, I know a woman with two children here that was carjacked with her children in the back - the carjacker took off with the children after pistol whipping her (the mom). The car was found later - the kids were ok physically - the attacker was never caught.

Working personal/executive protection afforded me the opportunity to really understand the underbelly of society and what they will do to get what you have. And while I do have a trust in most of mankind - a faith that most people are good and just - it is that one in a thousand person that would pistol whip a mom in front of her children just to steal her car that you have to be prepared for.

I know - sounds a little paranoid to most people - I assure you that I do not live walled up in a gated compound surrounded by automatic weapons - or in a shack in the Montana woods like the Unabomber. Although I wouldn't mind a cabin the Montana woods!

Here are some tips - just because I think everyone should be aware :)

1. Keep the doors locked and the windows up when driving (Yes, I know the windows down is more fun and airy - and it is ok most times - but doors locked always and when in a known bad area or an inner city...windows up)

2. Always start your car and drive away immediately. If you get into your car in a parking lot at the mall for example - Don't just sit there - start your car and drive away - balance that checkbook at home and not in your car in the parking lot.

3. If you are stopped in traffic, always make sure you have room to maneuver and escape if need be. A lot of carjackings happen in stopped traffic.

4. Be extra vigilant at traffic lights, parking lots, malls/shopping centers, gas stations, ATM's, and in your own or another's driveway.

5. Always take your keys with you - never leave them in the car or in the ignition.

6. Never leave valuables visible in your car. And never leave anything with your name, address, or photo visible in your car (eg. mail, a work or school ID). Someone can come along and see your information and then come to your house to commit a crime. There have been countless cases where people leave this information visible and someone comes to the house posing as a meter reader, or a telco employee to gain access to the house - and since they know your name and address you are more likely to let them in (that's another discussion!)

7. If you are bumped in traffic by young males, be suspicious and cautious - do not exit the vehicle - motion for them to follow you and drive to a safe, well lit, public location.

8. When going to your vehicle, scan the area for suspicous our out of place people (usually they will just be standing around, loitering or just sitting in their car watching you). Malls are notorious for crimes of convenience. The BG (Bad Guy) will often look for someone with packages in their hands - walking across the parking lot to their car - looking down - fumbling for their keys. This sort of thing happens every day - and with Christmas fast approaching (the BG's favorite time of year for this type of crime)... Remember, if you see someone who looks suspicious and your instincts make the hair on the back of your neck stand up - turn around, go back inside, and ask for a security guard to walk you out - that is what they are there for.

9. Always park as close to the building (mall, store, school, house, work, etc) as possible. Yes, I know a little walk is good exercise - but safety is more important.

10. Always park in a well lit area - clear of foliage or other obstructions that hide you or your vehicle from view.

11. If someone you do not know does approach you - and you are alone - change direction or run to an area that is busy with other people.

I will digress for now - it is just a subject that is near and dear to my heart.

Enjoy life - stop and smell the roses - but be safe while doing so :)

Regards,

Matt

what is "lane splitting"? Is that where a bike/motorbike rides up the middle of two queues of traffic?

In my experienc the real issue in this instance is pedestrians trying to cross between the lanes of traffic. Wandering around with their cell phones clamped to their ears and drivelling away in la-la land while a bicycle bears down on them. I usually shout "eyes up" when i'm about 10 yards away but sometimes i don't see them. I've crashed into pedestrians about 5 times.

Bus drivers are the worst. They hate cyclists. I guess it's a little bit of "biggest on the road" hating that the "smallest on the road" can do everything they can't. They squeeze me against the kerbs, they squeeze me against other lanes, they zoom in front, just to break sharply at the next bus stop. I dunno, London bus drivers are just ass holes.

bk

bk

Feraud

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
what is "lane splitting"? Is that where a bike/motorbike rides up the middle of two queues of traffic?
Lane splitting is when the cyclist uses the unused space in the specific lane.
Not a bright idea at all.

Bebop

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Why should I flee the road?

You should flee the road for the same reason pedestrians should flee the road. Self preservation. Especially when you have faith that most drivers are idiots.

You also have the right to walk down a dark alley in a bad neighborhood but if you have common sense, you won't.

It is not a matter of blaming the victim or what any law states. It's a matter of common sense.
I think it comes down to risky behaviour. Some people think skydiving is worth the risk and some people don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot