Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kindred spirits...

Johnnysan

One Too Many
On Thursday, I took a late lunch and found myself at one of our local chilli parlors (Springfield is known for it's horseshoes and chilli!) I was wearing a 1930's vintage Panama and as I was taking a seat, I noticed an older gentleman making his way up the aisle pushing a walker and wearing a well worn felt fedora. As he passed, I nodded and said: "Nice hat...look's like a Stetson or a Dobbs."

With a look of surprise and shock, he stopped in his tracks and said: "It's a Stetson Open Road. How old are you son?" Following a bit of conversation, mostly about hats, he nodded towards my Panama and mentioned that it looked like it had a few years on it too. As we parted company, he thanked me by saying that it had been years since anyone had complimented his hat and that it had been just as long as he had had pleasure of talking with a man who knew good hats.

The moral of the story: if you spot a nice one in a crowd, take the time to acknowledge it...it'll make someone's day and more likely than not, yours too! :)

Mr_Misanthropy

Practically Family
What a wonderful tale!! I'm sure you really made that gentleman's day, and seems like he made yours as well. And i'd definitely compliment a fedora on the street.... if I EVER saw anyone in Hannibal wearing one! I guess I could compliment mullets... that sort of like a hat... :rolleyes:

Mulceber

Practically Family
Very nice story, Johnny. Its heart-warming to hear stories like that, especially when they involve giving an older person a good memory. I hope you gave him the Fedora Lounge's URL...but maybe that wasn't the time or place. -Mulceber

RedPop4

One Too Many
I've begun ackowledging folks wearing good hats, and if I think of it in time I'll ask what it is. I'm not usually outgoing, like that, prefering to keep my own counsel in public. But I've been getting compliments on my hats also.

I do the same when I see a guy smoking a cigar. If I get the chance, I'll approach and ask what he's enjoying. Smokers are gun-shy now, so most of the time they're defensive when I ask. If it's something decent, even, I'll say something like, "those are great, or nice sticks."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran