Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lace it up - The true Corset thread

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I LOVE authentic corsets! I've been tightlacing for 4 1/2 years and everyone I know comes to me for corset-related advice. I think they're amazing and I'm always bothered by all the negative assumptions people have about them. If anyone is interested I actually wrote a FAQ based on the questions I get asked the most, including my personal picks for best places to shop.
http://victoriablack4.wordpress.com/2010/06/12/corset-faq/
And yes, I did use tons of stuff I found in this forum for my vintage section. Can you tell? lol

Last edited:

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I have a passion for them. I've been tight-lacing since I was 20 and researching them since about 16. It REALLY bothers me when people say it's bad for you; it absolutely isn't if you wear something that fits properly and don't force it. It took me 3 months to get to a 20 inch waist and never once in the process did I risk harming my body, even though it can look a little shocking if you haven't seen it before. I have a tendency to not get taken very seriously because I can't always afford the highest quality, and for the almost-perfect ones I do buy I spend shockingly little, but I do know what makes a great corset and a bad one, and once people figure that out I become their "guru" as I've been called lol
Here is me in my 20 inch basic black corset. It has a curved busk because I liked the look from the side, but I didn't realize at the time how much it would bother me that it makes the bottom edge stick out. I'm looking for solutions. I took the picture in silhouette because clothes can make for different subtle optical illusions and I wanted to avoid that and document the pure honest shape of it.
39072_10150221549005012_597260011_13719877_4524216_n.jpg

This corset is made by Louise Black (of Project Runway) and is 23 inches. It's my pride and joy, and amazingly comfortable. One day I want another one, even though it took a whopping 7 months to get.
20142_447266640011_597260011_10781064_1833219_n.jpg

And this one is my only (so far) 100% custom one by Desert Orchid. It feels like a second skin and I can even sleep in it. But I don't like how it makes my ribs look huge because it has an hourglass shape instead of a V shape. I'm fussy. Right now I'm shopping around for another corsetiere I can afford.
37407_10150203804205012_597260011_13195227_876562_n.jpg

I have a bunch of others but they're just standard ones from Timeless Trends and the like.

Drea

New in Town
Quick corset question!

I'm sure this has been posted before but to save the hassle of going through everything could someone tell me where I could find cute corsets or corset style tops that come in extended sizes that would look great with a pencil skirt? thanks in advance!

Juliet

A-List Customer
First, I stumbled over this tutorial for a DIY corset - not a tightlacer admittedly, but an awfully cute idea.
http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/corset_2

Second, has anyone here ordered from these corset-makers?

http://labellefairy.com/

Edit: actually it was her Etsy shop that drew my attention: http://www.etsy.com/shop/labellefairy

http://battieclothing.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

Thank heavens (and dancing, lol ) I keep up the hourglass rather easily, but I want to have a couple of (underwear) corsets for posture and my back problems. I'd like them to be best quality, and these do look good at the first glance.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
When you become interested in fashion history you cannot get way from corsets especially the further back in time you go the more they come to the fore front. of course I read what every one here will read and know about corseted Victorian and Edwardian ones, the horror stories and other accounts .
For me it was one item of clothing which brought up more questions than there was answers too.

For example :- reading or knowing that the wearing of tightly laced corset from the twenties onwards died out or they evolved into the Girdle or other items of foundation wear
The real surprising thing for me was here we are 2006+ and ladies were actually wearing corsets made to traditional old patterns these wear ladies how I was talking to on lone so I knew they were not crazy but sensible ladies and taking about corsets in a very positive way.
and to be honest a bit of a shock becuse i had read so many negative things about corsets.
the only way I felt I could understand this was to have my own corset and find out for myself, so I started saving up and eventually I bought one and while I wear mine infrequently I can fully understand and appreciate why ladies where them today.

and if any one would ask if they should buy a corset I say " Yes go ahead".

Dishabille.3

New in Town
lol lol lol lol lol

Cutest. Analogy. Ever!

I'm actually wondering about the girdles that look like little briefs and have the garters attached. Do those show a panty line in dresses or skirts? I don't care what era we're in, in my opinion panty lines have never been "in."

Also, is there a trick to keeping the garters from being seen in skirts that aren't puffed up by a crinoline? I have a beautiful green skrit that's very twirly, but if I sit down, you'd be able to see the garters resting on my thighs. (Does that make sense?) Is there such a thing as a flat garter/garter clasps?

A long leg panty girdle with garters inside the legs conceals garters fairly well. It also helps to turn the garters over so that the button faces your thigh rather than away from your thigh. Easy on a garment with detachable garters; a bit harder on an OBG with permanently attached garters but it can be done.

D

Dishabille.3

New in Town
I dearly love corsets and wear one very often. I have about a dozen. Most are outerwear corsets. A couple in leather and a couple over-bust. Some underwear corsets. All are custom made.

I am a natural 24 inch waist and can lace easily to 20 inches, 18 if I train.

I am very active and to go gym 4 times a week so no problem with muscles weakening.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
my first corset

Hello ladies,

just wanted to add my corset to the thread, I made my first purchase from Meschantes and purchased the ready to wear plus size corset:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/63972009/meschantes-heavy-duty-plus-size-black

I really like it although I have not been consistent in wearing it (wanted to waist train). After reviewing several youtube videos about corsets I went and took the plunge. Like KittyT mentioned before, the modesty panel is not still and you have to straighten it out some while lacing yourself up, but I have no difficulty in doing that. I have lost some weight and am now needing to by a smaller one, but will save up as I would also like a custom fit corset. Here are a couple of youtubers who I love to watch in regards to corsets.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q1THdIrVosE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7hY-3ndiRg

Now to go and lace myself up

virgi

New in Town
the best thing any of you ladies who are interested in corsets is to make it yourself. So far, I've made four. These tend to wear out with constant use. However, making one yourself eliminates the dreaded problem of back fat.

virgi

New in Town
where you get the fat overhang because the corset back is too short. Problem with the corset is that the fat has to go somewhere, sort of like a tube of toothpaste, and often the back fat is pushed up and over. Sort of unslightly. A lot of antique corsets have extremely high backs to accommodate this.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Whodathunk... I did end up buying a corset recently! I have gone to a few historic themed events with the Mr. , and I wanted that correct silouette. I got mine from Gentlemen's Emporium online. Their office and warehouse are only about 10 minutes from me, so I was able to have the company owner Alicia help me with getting the right size I wanted, and talking me through as well as showing me how to lace it up. I really love it, my dd Sarah laces mine for me. I call her my lady in waiting...:)

No picture to post here just yet. The picture that was taken did not come out as well as I would have liked, as my chemise was not on quite straight and distributed evenly when the corset was laced by my dd. I didn't check it when we left the house! The chemise was sewn up in a flash just to have it presentable in time for going out in on Friday evening. Though not quite finished, it fit the bill okay enough and I firstly did the french seams wrong! Hey, I'd had only 1-1/2 hours of sleep with all the sewing I was doing!

When I finish trimming the chemise, I'll put this all on again and take a better picture.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My first corset, a Victorian style worn underneath my 1870s ball gown corset:
rose print underbust corset from Gentlemen's Emporium
IMG_7313.jpg

would love to purchase or have made an overbust corset in white or ivory

matrioshka

One of the Regulars
Not that you can see much of it, but this is a repro 1860's corset made by Kay Gnagey. I'm putting together a mid 19'th century outfit, one piece at a time :)

The outfit in this picture is a mix of different eras. The chemise was run up from a bedsheet, the skirt is from a SCA outfit I have. For some reason, it all works...

gypsy8.jpg

DSC01437.jpg

Again, if this freaks anyone out, just delete the thread...

Lenore

Practically Family
*bump*

I've been considering getting myself a corset or two to reduce my waist, but mostly for straightening my posture. The trouble I have is my rather box like figure. Not much in the curves department. I'm looking at Dark Garden's Waist Cincher or WKD's Mae, and I'm wondering if anyone has either of these and what their opinions of them are.

Last edited:

JennieWren

Familiar Face
I think its pretty sexy myself. Before children I had a pretty extreme natural body shape. Tiny waist, enormous hips. I hated it at the time. All i wanted were goal post thigh and a concave stomach. Costumers would tell me how amazing my curves were, how sexy, sensual....etc...I didn't get it. But when I look back at it I would KILL FOR THAT BODY! My waist has filled in considerably and I lose and gain weight much more proportionately now that I am older.
I read this and remembered my wedding dress fitting. The poor sales lady pulled out her measuring tape while I stood in my skivvies surrounded by just about every wedding-mad female family member I possessed. She measured my bust. "Thirty three" she proclaimed. My waist next "Twenty four." Then, my heart sinking, she measured my hips. "Forty." Her brow wrinkled. She re-measured my hips. Yep, they were still forty. She examined her measuring tape, looking for an error in the numbers, and wraps it once more around my bum. She goes away. She comes back with her boss, the grande dame of the bridal fitting, with enormous maroon talons and huge sparkling rings that wouldn't dare be fake, who plucks the measuring tape from her fingers, measures my bust, waist and hips again. The woman clucks her tongue, repeats the procedure, then stands back and eyes my goose-pimpled frame critically. I shrug. "I have big hips." I say apologetically. She nods. "Good for babies." she proclaims.

therizyflapper

One of the Regulars
i know this is a thread for corsets, but im more looking for a girdle and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions where to get a good one for not too expensive :) i want a girdle because i want more structure and not so much cinching in my waist :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21