Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies suits

Mary

Practically Family
Wow! That Marilyn suit is such a knock-out! Love the assymetry and the skirt and it's simply perfect. And good you choosed grey and white.

When did Marilyn Monroe wore this suit? The late 50's ?

M

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
Wow! That Marilyn suit is such a knock-out! Love the assymetry and the skirt and it's simply perfect. And good you choosed grey and white.

When did Marilyn Monroe wore this suit? The late 50's ?

M

I love it in grey & white, I have so much black, so it was time for something different. I actually don't know when Marilyn Monroe wore the suit I just saw a pic on the ebayers auction.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Darhling said:
DSC01848.jpg
DSC01846.jpg
Va-va-voom! You look absolutely darling, Darhling ;)

Mac Daddy

New in Town
Darhling said:
I can finally post this suit! It is a tailored version of a suit Marilyn Monroe once wore, but I had the jacket made much shorter, since I am as tall as three apples and a long jacket drowns me out.

Please disregard the vacant look!

DSC01848.jpg
DSC01846.jpg

Brilliant, this is exactly what I picture when I think of the 40's and 50's, well done, and it looks like it was made for you. Ahhh, bless those of you that dress well !

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Had to bump this back up

This thread has such great information and since I'm trying to get my wife suited up adn help friends get started, this is waaaay to good to allow to get pushed back to the forgtten pages of the past.

Cheers and thanks again for all the contributions!

You guys are the best!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
One vintage suit jacket, coming up. :) Unfortunately, I don't have the matching skirt. I found the jacket at Goodwill, motheaten, but too gorgeous to pass up, especially at the measly price they'd put on it. (Given that this store is given to pricing things stratospherically, I can only conclude that they didn't know what they had on their hands.) I dug through the skirt racks in hopes of finding the matching skirt, but alas, it wasn't there.

Rough estimate of date is late 1940s. It's fully lined, in a peach-colored, pebbly crepe-like fabric. I love the petal detail on the sides - the way the petals are worked into the darts is amazing.

SJacketFVs.jpg

SJacketFV2s.jpg

SJacketSVs.jpg

SJacketBVs.jpg

SJacketTQs.jpg

ButtonCU.jpg

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Here is my suit. Neither vintage, nor a good picture. But I thought I would post it just the same. As I do really like my suit - cause it is actually wool, fully lined and is a decent cut - vintage-esque! Hard to find these days with women's suits being so shoddy! Oh plus, I got it for a real bargain!
SuitPicture.jpg
[/IMG]

Sunny

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
Here is my suit. Neither vintage, nor a good picture. But I thought I would post it just the same. As I do really like my suit - cause it is actually wool, fully lined and is a decent cut - vintage-esque! Hard to find these days with women's suits being so shoddy! Oh plus, I got it for a real bargain!
SuitPicture.jpg
[/IMG]
Hey, I like the picture! You've made it very vintage, too, with your accessories. The tie and the stockings especially pique my interest. Can you share more about them?

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
Oh, gosh thanks! My tie is a "Target special!" I adore ties! And this one had a pattern I just couldn't live without! I will see about taking a picture of the pattern - I looove it!

And the stockings...well here's the secret...they are actually cotton tube socks from Sock Dreams!! I wear them in the winter - 'cause it gets chilly here and they are oh so comfy and cozy!! They are over-the-knee style. The only thing is they don't fit into a standard garter clip - so you have to get a heavy clasp style or knee garters (but they do stay up rather well just by them selves!)

Sunny

One Too Many
Mrs. Merl said:
Oh, gosh thanks! My tie is a "Target special!" I adore ties! And this one had a pattern I just couldn't live without! I will see about taking a picture of the pattern - I looove it!

And the stockings...well here's the secret...they are actually cotton tube socks from Sock Dreams!! I wear them in the winter - 'cause it gets chilly here and they are oh so comfy and cozy!! They are over-the-knee style. The only thing is they don't fit into a standard garter clip - so you have to get a heavy clasp style or knee garters (but they do stay up rather well just by them selves!)
I love Sock Dreams! I've got terrible legs for getting OTKs to stay up, though. I do love the Diamond Knit knee socks (well-shrunk, with a band of elastic to hold them up), and the Super Basics actually *do* hold up very well on me, and are plenty long enough to hook to a garter belt for more security. Which reminds me, I need to go order some grey and cream ones...

Sunny

One Too Many
I love the seersucker. I want to see more of those short, flared skirted late 30s suits.

Re the "daytime casual suit": Is that a zipper down the whole front of the skirt?

Vanessa

One Too Many
Sunny said:
I love the seersucker. I want to see more of those short, flared skirted late 30s suits.

Re the "daytime casual suit": Is that a zipper down the whole front of the skirt?

I believe so. If you click on the picture - it will supersize for more detail.

Mrs. Merl

Practically Family
The pants suit picture made me think of a occurrence I read about in one of my fashion history books a couple days ago. In the sixties a woman wearing a pants suit was told by the host at an upscale restaurant that he would not seat her in the outfit she was wearing. So she removed her pants and was seated that way - despite the fact that the jacket to her suit barely concealed her undergarments. I guess wearing a suit still isn't good enough sometimes!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR