Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lady Adventurers, Women of Mystery!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Thank you Mojito! I am envious of your fun with equestrian dress-up :)
I totally need a crop - I've been half-heartedly looking on ebay for one but have yet to apply myself to the task.

TraderRic, she looks ready for anything! I love it!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I gave my go at it today. :D

l_57c11ce57d53b0f10cd7251cf9537134.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
This picture was in the listing for Daisy's new Fundamentals of Dress book. I'm adding it here for documentary purposes.

FundamentalsofDress1941-MariettaKet.jpg

1941 outdoors wear, probably for autumn, for those of you in a real four-seasons zone. Winter wear in Texas. I see:

• Darker-colored sweater set (90% sure it's wool), shirt and long-sleeved short-waisted banded cardigan. (I want a short set like that! All the 1950s ones are too long and unflattering.)
  • Lighter-colored skirt at above-knee length; shallow center inverted box pleat, knife pleat on each side. Almost certainly wool as well, and a heavy weight from the sturdy but not stiff drape.
  • Dark-colored knee socks. Ribbed knit.
  • Shoes are partially obscured. Very dark material with a thick light-colored sole. What they call in the books "crepe rubber"? The vamp of the left shoe comes up so high that it must be laced. I'm envisioning black canvas Keds.

I like this outfit. Wool is the best outdoors material, since it's warm even when wet, resists water and dirt, and can be naturally elastic. Knee socks are a great alternative to either nylons or long knit stockings. A cute alternative to nice slacks.

Note: She's wearing no hat.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Girl Friday said:
I foud a pair of jodphurs, now I am just looking for a blouse, or top. I am kind of thinking that there are plenty of modern ones that would work. Linen or cotton, I guess...

Any suggestions?
:eek:fftopic: I'm sorry, I have no suggestions, just every time I see your avatar I start cracking up...look at her just staring at her chest!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Girl Friday, I have this "Amelia Earhart" blouse from travelsmith:

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1111&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=amelia

in white of course. I wore it with jodpurs and a leather jacket for a "Agatha Christie archaeologist" look when I was visiting sites in Turkey last year. It's very soft, yet crisp looking (and does seem to be living up to the wrinkle free claim). Also, for tall girls, it is plenty long enough so stays tucked in for once. I'm pretty happy with it.

Sunny

One Too Many
Girl Friday said:
Wow, Sunny did you purchase? Great looking stuff and the price is right!

and DB, I am definately going with the brown boots they are just way too fantastic!

Ha, no, I wish! At 5'9" there ain't no way I'd fit into those. The trousers-whatever-they're-called are really interesting, though. I wish I could see them on someone; they seem far more like plus fours or plus twos (Norfolk suit, after all!) than riding breeches. Whoever got them got a steal.

And :eusa_clap for brown boots! They look best in my opinion.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
You ladies look amazing!

I wish I could have brought my vintage ways to India two weeks ago, but that would have been impossible. We were doing service work in the slums, and the heat was intense (110 degrees and up w/humidity)...and if the dirt or heat didn't ruin my clothes, the pollution would have! I did wear a well-placed flower in my hair everyday, though. However, I must say, the Indian clothes were beautiful (so many colors!) and felt like soft pajamas -- very nice.

GILDA

I have a horse

My adventure is I dont use a saddle. I ride bareback and love it. I despise the saddle. There is no way I would spend mucho money on vintage riding gear. When Im done riding and on my way home from the barn let me describe how I look. Im sweating, my makeup has run, dirt is stuck to my face. My hair is a disaster. The horse is sweating, needs to be rinsed down, I rinse him, water splatters everywhere, jeans are soaked, shoes are soaked (must have waterproof), shirt is wet with sweat ,bathing water, and horse fur. Then of course when they eat they like to get there wet green grain all over you. Then you spray them down with shine sprays and fly spray and it gets all over you and your clothes and on your hair and face.The barn is meant for the junk in your closet. If your riding in a show, then you cant wear vintage, you have to wear the required attire, which almost everyone wears the same depending on the competition. I go in a paddock boot, jeans, t shirt, cowboy hat....stuff like that. And red lipstick, but always color stay. Slick lipstick doesnt stand a chance in a barn. you need long wearing!:D

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Cool thread! This is totally my style. I wish I had a pic, but I wore a brown tweed jacket with mustard jodpurs and tall brown boots like the ones pictured to a friend's b-day. I just adore the adventure look.

On the same note, here's the outfit I made for Treasure of the Templars, for Dr Elizabeth Lawrence:
l_fb56c79247c00aaaf5cdb0bfbe88fd1b.jpg

62.jpg

000.jpg

And here's me in "modern" adventure gear- it's all about tank tops, natural colors and fibers, and sling bags :)
l_09cf011ae91634db36e795adc5f2b68d.jpg

l_a4ce90a282371165f5d3aa8be419d346.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner