Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lagomarsino's new 90 gram fedoras

Mycroft

One Too Many
Brad Bowers said:
I was reading in a Hat Life newsletter that Lagomarsino will be offering 90 gram fur felt fedoras. Has anybody seen these yet? I wonder if they make their own felt or they're using the Portugal bodies. Thin felt is so much of the key to achieving a vintage look.

Brad

My hat is a Lagomarsino, they are great, soft like butter, and so durable and take the water well when it rains. I don't know if mine is a 90 gram one, but I really recomed the brand.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Lagomarsino makes their own bodies . I was in the factory in Argentina last year . It was like stepping into a time portal 100 years ago .
The factory is doing alot of work by hand . The quality is good but they dont have a lot of blocks and flanges to work with . However their body shop where they produce the felt is on par with any other factory in the world .
They have been in business since 1891 so give them a chance !!:cool2:

lenj

New in Town
I have a Lagomarsino Bollos Jack that I bought from the Hat Guys in Oakland, CA.

Hat is soft and is one of the most comfortable hats to wear.

lenj

Fedora

Vendor
I considered using bodies from this factory last year. I ordered several thousand dollars worth...............and sent them back. Fedora

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
I considered using bodies from this factory last year. I ordered several thousand dollars worth...............and sent them back. Fedora

That's good to know. Guess it doesn't matter that they haven't got back to me.:p

Edit: I heard from them right after I posted this. I'll post more information when I receive it. I'd still like to know more.

Brad

Fedora

Vendor
That's good to know. Guess it doesn't matter that they haven't got back to me.

Do not misunderstand. The bodies were ok, but just ok. The portugal felt is in a different category is all. I looked at the Argentine felt, and the winchester felt, was so much better that the decision was easy to make. I should have known something was up when I was told not to pounce it!!!!!! Just hit it with some steel wool and alcohol! But, with that said, the felt was much better than you see on new factory hats from Stetson. But, that ain't saying much, is it? Fedora

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Fedora, was there a big difference in the price of the bodies ? The labor cost in Argentina is much lower so I figured that the bodies would be cheaper . When I was in the factory , I was shown bodies from nutria and beaver but the prices were much higher .
Have you ever bought:cool2: bodies from China ?

Fedora

Vendor
Fedora, was there a big difference in the price of the bodies ? The labor cost in Argentina is much lower so I figured that the bodies would be cheaper .

You know, I do not know for sure. I decided to go through another hatter who was trying to get this body in to sell to other small hatters like me. He of course was making a profit on me, and the cost indicated that. But assuming that I have an idea of his gross margin, I would say they were cheaper in cost than portugal. This hatter even went down and spent a few days at the factory. The problem is, those folks down there in South America do not have the same concept of time as we do here. My bodies sat on the shipping floor for literally months as I sweated it out. That is the other thing about buying from that neck of the woods. In the end, I never saw anything as good as the folks that I use now, and I do have this thing going on about buying American, whenever possible. My hats are 100 per cent American now, but I do know that will change once I start using the Portugal felt for my vintage looking Bogey hats. What I like about who I am using now is the idea that many of the vintage hats that we all love was made by this same company back in the 30's. And, they are still using the same equipment!! That means something to me, personally, but I am sure most folks could care less. Fedora

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fedora said:
What I like about who I am using now is the idea that many of the vintage hats that we all love was made by this same company back in the 30's. And, they are still using the same equipment!!

Now, if we could just convince them to make the vintage-thin felt again, and attempt some Cavanagh Edges, we'd be in hat heaven!:)

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm glad you got in touch with them. I tried, and had one reply from them asking if I was inquiring as a retailer or a just a hat wearer. After answering their questions, I never heard from them again. I should remind them, I guess.

Brad

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Would one of you gents please explain to me what "pouncing" a hat means?

I have visions of Snoopy sitting on a tree branch like a vulture.

thefedorastore

A-List Customer
7-3/8!

Sorry guys, but all of the 7-3/8s have been reserved for my PERSONAL collection. I appreciate your tenacity in attempting to get someone to release a hat of this size to you, however. Brad, I can give you a commission. How about as a Lieutenant in the Fedora Gang?:lol

indyguy

New in Town
pounce

pouncing a hat is basicly sanding the felt to smooth finish useing different grades of sandpaper.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
thefedorastore said:
Sorry guys, but all of the 7-3/8s have been reserved for my PERSONAL collection.

You'll be your own best customer. 7 3/8 is what probably a third of the population wears!lol

Well, it was worth a shot, Sharpetoys.;)

thefedorastore said:
Brad, I can give you a commission. How about as a Lieutenant in the Fedora Gang?

Lt. Brad
Fedora Gang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy