Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Langlitz Columbia Review

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello Lounge friends, I wanted to do a quick write-up of my first ever experance with a Langlitz jacket. This one came through a trade with a well-known member of this forum. It's been a real treat to get to spend a little time with, and here's my findings so far:

This is a 1986 Columbia, with a thicked kidney belt/partially padded waist feature. It was custom made so "un-sized" as are the majority of thier products. This particular jacket did come with a belt, however for reasons that will become obvious presently, I have not installed or used the belt.

This Columbia is basic black with a cotton-type lining, laced sides, brass zippers and snaps and a small additonal pocket on the left arm. for being over 30 years old the leather has great grain and patina on the arms, however shows very little wear or even patina in the rest of the jacket. This is most likely thier Medium weight Steerhide leather and is quite pliable. It wears very easily and moves very well with you. Very nice for motorcycling in my opinion. Sleeves are nice and long, see measurements below:
P2P is 23.3" - 23.5"
Sleeves are 27"
Back length is 26.2"
Waist is (unlaced) 20.5" or 21"

Now to some photos:
IMG_4613.JPG

As can be seen here, this jacket runs just a little short in the Troso. *Bear in mind it was made for a specific person - 30 years ago* What is perhaps a bit more difficult to see is how much the waist measurement of 21" compared to pit to pit of 23.5" really does. It's very tight when zipped up. Here's a contrasting photo un-zipped:
IMG_4605.JPG

Keeping this jacket un-zipped it's as close to perfect as I could get. However in Iowa, this just isn't going to be practical. Still, what this little test has done is to show me just how great a jacket like this can be, and given me motovation to look at this brand more. I really like the detailing on this jacket, and the apparent quality that is present here. Take a look at the back of this jacket and again, bear in mind it is over 30 years old:
IMG_4603.JPG

This picture shows the "tightness" around the waist as well. Great details, and I attribute some of this size reduction in size to the thickly padded kidney belt area that in this jacket goes all the way around, not just in the rear.

So this jacket is headed back to Langlitz this week. It has convinced me that I would like to try a Crescent, thier Cafe Racer style. I'm intending to order this with a similar western yoke on the upper back area, otherwise as plain, simple and heavy-weight Steerhide leather as they offer. Interestlingly Langlitz does not offer Horsehide.

I've enjoyed talking with Benny about this jacket, as well as the Cresent that I am going to order. I have gone through the full measurement process, the most thorough I have seen. Since they allow trade-ins, I'm going to head that direction. They also offered to modify this jacket to fit better, however I have 3 perfecto style jackets, also all with brass zippers and trim, so I would prefer to go with a Cafe Racer.

To anyone considering such a jacket, I reccomend to look them up and give them a call. As much as anything, supporting a family business, with mail-in and phone correspondance, and timeless service really is something I want to do. We'll let you all know about the finished product in a few months.

technovox

One Too Many
Sharp looking jacket! But there's nothing like having a custom made jacket to your exact specs.
It's good to see info on Langlitz here- and I just put in an order for a Langlitz Cascade a few weeks ago. So far they've been very accommodating- nice people up there in Oregon.
Hopefully we'll see some pics and a review when the Crescent is delivered!

Last edited:
It is extreme cool and it fits you to a tee, AeroFan! I personally think it fits you so well you'll benefit only marginally from a new jacket but yeah, what Technovox says, nothing beats having your own, custom made leather jacket - and especially one made by Langlitz. But the shoulders, sleeves, especially the back. . . everything is spot on and IMO it sits just right about where it should. Because of the hardened kidney panel and a really trim waist, this jacket absolutely has to be worn just above the belt, otherwise it would have to be a good couple of inches longer which wouldn't look nice at all with this style.

Having said that, when it comes to leather jackets, Langlitz is the best investment you can make so congrats either way, R! :D

Looks fantastic Randy! I'd have a helluva time giving that one up! Can't wait to see how your custom turns out. Keep us posted!

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Sharp looking jacket! But there's nothing like having a custom made jacket to your exact specs.
It's good to see info on Langlitz here- and I just put in an order for a Langlitz Cascade a few weeks ago. So far they've been very accommodating- nice people up there in Oregon.
Hopefully we'll see some pics and a review when the Crescent is delivered!

Langlitz quality is second to none! Proud owner of a basic flight jacket in black goatskin.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So after a LOT of thought, I'm keeping this one around. Slowing down a bit on the order of a new Cresent. Hopefully by late spring will place the order itself so I can get it by early fall. 3-month lead time presently. More I wear this jacket the more I'm really enjoying it. When I do order the Cresent, I'll probably stick with mid-weight steerhide, Americana Mark indicated they are dropping the heavyweight steer. And I'd like to be able to break it in. I'll probably go with a standard, no added features Cresent. This Columbia is just too nice to let go of. Can't seem to take it off once I start wearing it around... :)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey Blues, I would like to do that! It was indicated to me that there was only one or two Crescents (used) but who knows what will show up tomorrow...

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
I peruse the sale rack periodically. The guys are some of the nicest, warmest folks you will encounter in a shop on Division St in Portland. The neighborhood has in recent years become uber trendy but of course theyve been there a while.

Seeing these pics ia making me want to stop in this week...great jacket, smart choice keeping it!

I peruse the sale rack periodically. The guys are some of the nicest, warmest folks you will encounter in a shop on Division St in Portland. The neighborhood has in recent years become uber trendy but of course theyve been there a while.

Seeing these pics ia making me want to stop in this week...great jacket, smart choice keeping it!

Best customer service I've ever experienced. Even calling it a customer service doesn't feel right at all 'cause it's like talking to a friend over a pint in a pub. I promised myself, if I ever come across some extra money, I'm entrusting it to Langlitz.

Rivet

New in Town
This is my first post, wasn't sure how to start a new thread, so here it goes, I had a Vanson hardcore in competition grade that I picked up used but in brand new condition. I really liked the heavyweight leather but the jacket was a regular and I need a tall. Ordered a new Vanson last year, different model, with some modifications in the competition grade, but was not able to get the competition weight ( another story all together ) so I settled for the x150 medium weight, it's a nice jacket but nothing at all like the feeling of protection I had with the hardcore. I started looking at langlitz and requested some swatch samples and when I compare them to the x150 it's almost identical. My question to you all is your opinion if it's worth trying the langlitz even though they only offer medium weight now and my main complaint with the jacket I have now is the thickness of the leather,, hope this makes sense

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hello Rivet - welcome to the Fedora Lounge!

Honestly, Langlitz has dropped thier Heavyweight leather, so it may not feel a lot more protective than the mid-weight Vanson leather did. Personally if you are serious about riding and wanting good protection, I would encourage you toe visit the Lost Worlds jacket website and order up a Ryder - in 4+ oz Horsehide. It will be an amazing riding jacket. Price will be rather similar to the Langlitz.

http://lostworldsinc.com/Motorcycle_Jacket_Horsehide_Leather_Cafe_Racer.htm

Or the J100,
http://lostworldsinc.com/Buco J100 Cafe Racer Horsehide Leather Motorcycle Jacket.htm

Lots of other options on thier site as well.

Good luck in the search!

Rivet

New in Town
I have spoken with lost world's because I was thinking that same thing, he told me there would be a 60% upcharge for the size which would put it over a thousand dollars more than the langlitz. There also doesn't seem to be any guarantee if the jacket doesn't fit correctly only if there is a defects in the jacket,, pretty big gamble for me

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think the Columbia is a great jacket.
It is the best pattern i have worn, the most comfortable jacket i own.
You put it on and it literally disappears, you feel as if you were topless, you could do yoga in one.

Mine is the midweight cowhide (from the 90s) and it is 1.4-1.6mm thick, i would absolutely trust it on the bike.
If i had to leave now for a 1000 mile ride i would take the Columbia over my thicker LW J-23 or any other jacket i own.

I think it would be a shame not to get one, just because of a "feeling of protection" that isn't actually real.
Most moto GP racing suits are 1.2 to 1.6mm leather, safety is in armour, not leather thickness.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I have a langlitz in the midweight cow. I have actually gone down in it. Mines the padded version with double leather on the elbows and shoulder. Let me tell you, it does protect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21