Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 50's early 60's

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
dundeedavie said:
80's skinheads are better known as BONEHEADS due to the shaved head and boots up to their knees ...no sartorial elegance whatsoever , listening to punk that they termed Oi! .

however the "spirit of '69" is such there is a group of traditional skinheads who wear tailor made suits and are as authentic as can be ..... hair is slightly longer with fully fashioned sideburns , button down shirts (often tailor made also ) levi's and boots (very very highly polished ) . at night styles change with suits replacing the levi's (shirt , socks and hanky matching) and brogues replacing boots ....no self-respecting sinhead would wear boots at night , or jeans for that matter .traditional skinheads listened to reggae, rocksteady and soul music and took their fashions from jamaican artists ....BONEHEADS should NEVER be referred to as skinhead because it's an insult to those that do it well ...

as with most 60's subcultures americans just never got it , you may call that ignorant i call it fact because it is . you have such rich culture of your own that we get wrong ....and this is the same vice-versa

Your culture? Hmmnn....It could be debated whether Dundee Scotland of the Lower East Side of New York City more culturally resembles East London but I'll leave that to the experts.
Whatever the case, your "facts" seem a bit provincial to say the least. I lived in London in the late 1980's and all the "traditionalist" skins hung out with "boneheads" (and psychobillies, etc for that matter) with little dischord regardless of musical tastes or political lines of thought. In fact the "traditionalist" and "bonehead" were often the same person depending on the prevailing company kept. It was very much the same in New York.
The idea that the Last Resort were not true skinheads is absurd.
What other 60's subcultures did we Americans get wrong? Hippies? Greasers?
I never thought I'd find myself at this stage in life patriotically defending American skinheads but trust me: the fashion-obsessed, Bluebeat-crazy skinheads existed on this side of the drink as well. Black and white.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
MudInYerEye said:
Your culture? Hmmnn....It could be debated whether Dundee Scotland of the Lower East Side of New York City more culturally resembles East London but I'll leave that to the experts.
Whatever the case, your "facts" seem a bit provincial to say the least. I lived in London in the late 1980's and all the "traditionalist" skins hung out with "boneheads" (and psychobillies, etc for that matter) with little dischord regardless of musical tastes or political lines of thought. In fact the "traditionalist" and "bonehead" were often the same person depending on the prevailing company kept. It was very much the same in New York.
The idea that the Last Resort were not true skinheads is absurd.
What other 60's subcultures did we Americans get wrong? Hippies? Greasers?
I never thought I'd find myself at this stage in life patriotically defending American skinheads but trust me: the fashion-obsessed, Bluebeat-crazy skinheads existed on this side of the drink as well. Black and white.

no greasers and hippies are all yours ...though of course the UK tried this pathetically . i was thinking more in the lines of MOD which seems to only translate well with europeans

dundeedavie said:
i was thinking more in the lines of MOD which seems to only translate well with europeans

Huh? I think perhaps the America our foreign friends see on television is being taken for what goes on over here. Like Mud, I knew plenty of the non-racist skinheads, black and white, back in the day, and, yes, I also met a fair share of them that got it all wrong. I have never met anyone with an allegiance to Mod, however, that got it all wrong. Though I admit, there's the 60s Los Angeles documentary Mondo Mod that really has nothing t do with Mod at all. Perhaps that's the image that has been projected.

Regards,

Senator Jack

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
Huh? I think perhaps the America our foreign friends see on television is being taken for what goes on over here. Like Mud, I knew plenty of the non-racist skinheads, black and white, back in the day, and, yes, I also met a fair share of them that got it all wrong. I have never met anyone with an allegiance to Mod, however, that got it all wrong. Though I admit, there's the 60s Los Angeles documentary Mondo Mod that really has nothing t do with Mod at all. Perhaps that's the image that has been projected.

Regards,

Senator Jack

i wasn't talking about non-racist ....no self-respecting PERSON is racist so i took that for granted .... i was talking clothing .

as for Mod , i don't live my life looking at television and i have associations with many american mod and scooter clubs (and northern soul clubs for that matter ) and whilst it is very cute it is also inherently european and british in particular .. you would almost think looking at the photographs of US mod do's that Austin Powers was a documentary :D

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Rooster said:
\ Thanks, that's one of my favs.

Rooster - great suit! :D I'm green with envy.

I bought a suit cut exactly like the one you are wearing but it was green and black sharkskin for my hubby. It was hubby's favorite suit until he lent it to a friend to wear to a wedding who didn't have a suit. The friend put the suit in the washer and dryer after he wore it to give it back to hubby clean and ruined it. I am still baffled over how ompletely clueless the friend is. We still mourn the loss of that suit - it was perfect. And I've never been able to find a replacement.

I'm trying hard not be insulted. The Empire State Soul Club was a NY Mod scene a good decade before Autin Powers, so to suggest that the NY scene sprung from the film is a bit off-base. True, we do have a contingent at Subway Soul (myself included) that prefer the continetal suit/mini-dress/go-go boot look of Mod, but that may be because from what we've seen of the Northern Soul fashions that abounded at Wigan...well, let's just say it ain't us.

Regards,

Senator Jack

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
I'm trying hard not be insulted. The Empire State Soul Club was a NY Mod scene a good decade before Autin Powers, so to suggest that the NY scene sprung from the film is a bit off-base. True, we do have a contingent at Subway Soul (myself included) that prefer the continetal suit/mini-dress/go-go boot look of Mod, but that may be because from what we've seen of the Northern Soul fashions that abounded at Wigan...well, let's just say it ain't us.

Regards,

Senator Jack

i never suggested any chronological association between the film and the mod scene in america ,,,,and honestly try as hard as you like not to be insulted as i'm not in the habit of insulting people . as i found on the smoking thread arguing is pointless as you will refuse to listen to any other opinion but your own so consider me out ...

Do you mean 'you' as in the general or in the specific? I don't think I even posted in the smoking thread.

I'm unsure of your anger here - first with Mud and now me. We're simply defending the people we knew/know. I've written about this before. The vintage appreciation scene is too small for 'hipper than thou' and 'you got it all wrong' attitudes. And please don't take offense; I've laid it into my good friends in the Mod/Swing/Rockabilly scenes for having that very attitude.

Regards,

Senator Jack

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Senator Jack said:
Do you mean 'you' as in the general or in the specific? I don't think I even posted in the smoking thread.

I'm unsure of your anger here - first with Mud and now me. We're simply defending the people we knew/know. I've written about this before. The vintage appreciation scene is too small for 'hipper than thou' and 'you got it all wrong' attitudes. And please don't take offense; I've laid it into my good friends in the Mod/Swing/Rockabilly scenes for having that very attitude.

Regards,

Senator Jack

so do i, regularly ....i gotta say i associate more with rockabillies more than mods or skins now because they listen to the best tunes :D

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Where is Salv when we need him? He was skinhead the first time around! Settle our hash, man!
If the kids are united they will nver be divided,
Sincerely,
Joe Hawkins.

Rooster

Practically Family
BeBopBaby said:
Rooster - great suit! :D I'm green with envy.

I bought a suit cut exactly like the one you are wearing but it was green and black sharkskin for my hubby. It was hubby's favorite suit until he lent it to a friend to wear to a wedding who didn't have a suit. The friend put the suit in the washer and dryer after he wore it to give it back to hubby clean and ruined it. I am still baffled over how ompletely clueless the friend is. We still mourn the loss of that suit - it was perfect. And I've never been able to find a replacement.
Hey, thanks! That tale about your hubby's sharkskin sure is one of heartbreak and sadness:( There should be a law about something like that.;)

StanleyVanBuren

Back on topic, I've been watching Mad Men and it's a pretty interesting show. The younger guys are, as you'd expect, wearing the most fashion-forward suits of the era, with the skinniest ties and lapels; the older boss character, however, is sometimes seen in a double-breasted suit that is more 40s style that we're obviously to assume he purchased a few years back.

Either way, it's all pretty great. I definitely would like to pick up some more suits in this style, in fact, I think it isn't too much different from a lot of what is popular now. The uber-skinny lapels are maybe a bit extreme, but some of the more standard suits in the show would fit right in today, I think.

And I do like the skinny ties. Only problem with a skinny tie is they make too small a knot.

Milu

Familiar Face
My lasting memory of London skinhead fashion in late sixties to about 1971 were the badly cut tonik (sharkskin) suits with trousers hitched up high to show off the red socks co-ordinated with red "1/4" inch braces, Ben Sherman shirt with button down collar, highly polished brogues, Gibson smooths or fringe and tassel loafers. The fashions were mostly derived from mod styles and some American downmarket preppy looks.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
BeBopBaby said:
...The friend put the suit in the washer and dryer after he wore it to give it back to hubby clean and ruined it. I am still baffled over how ompletely clueless the friend is. We still mourn the loss of that suit - it was perfect. And I've never been able to find a replacement.

I hope the guy was apologetic. But I'm guessing he had no idea the suit was even ruined? "Here you go, thanks. Nice and clean."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24