Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 50's early 60's

Milu

Familiar Face
and of course the other great skinhead classic....the cardigan! and the Abercrombie overcoat with the breast pocket - used with two geometrically precise contrasting pocketsquares, one of which was held in place with studs.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I found this mid to late 50s black wool suit last week at a local thrift store. It is in mint condition. The pants need shortened a bit so that's why I'm not showing myself head to toe. The lapel is about three inches at its widest and the center vent is about seven inches. The necktie is the same age.

1-8.jpg
[/IMG]

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Nice 50s Clobber

Quigley Brown said:
I found this mid to late 50s black wool suit last week at a local thrift store. It is in mint condition. The pants need shortened a bit so that's why I'm not showing myself head to toe. The lapel is about three inches at its widest and the center vent is about seven inches. The necktie is the same age.

1-8.jpg
[/IMG]

J Edgar would be proud to have such an agent!:D :D

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
nightandthecity said:
Back on topic - sorry, don’t like 60s suits. Too tight, not comfortable, they don’t hang well or wear well, too much use of synthetics. For me the glory days of the suit ended around the early/mid 1950s.

i have a pair of late 50s/early 60s european black trousers which are among the best quality trousers i own. i almost got rid of them when i convinced myself that it was all down hill after '55 (which i do believe) but something made me hang onto them. they are almost the prototypical Thom Browne trouser (i wonder how much he'd pay for them for 'reference' ?) but generally i agree, the fabrics don't compare with the stuff of the 20s-40s. at least not to my eye and hand.

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
I believe the polite and proper cutoff date for clothing for an English Gentlemen, even a Northerner such as yourself, would be 1952 when all wartime rationing was ended...and undoubtedly anything post 1955 leads to sartorial beastliness worthy of an ASBO. I myself although in my dotage when it comes to such matters would push for a 1949 date. Which as you are well aware was year when clothing rationing ended on these shores. Don't get me wrong I am not unsympathetic to your call for liberality but I clocked you in those strides marching back from Waitrose with your shopping a while back and I had to look away when faced with your flagrant and unabashed flouting of these unsaid rules which all decent Englishmen abide by when dressing.

A Concerned Friend

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
Egads and horrors!!!! My cool 1960s Continental Suits are incredibly boorish!!! Should I be sent to Coventry? Perhaps I'll never get to have high tea with the Queen on the S.S. Rotterdam!! Maybe it would be best to burn all my post-49 suits. Nah...Chicks dig 'em, and that's all that matters.

I tend and have always tended to dress for myself. And anyway I wouldn't dig a chick who thought a post-49 suit was a good idea, I'd suspect she could also be swayed to have the same intensity of feeling towards a chap in 1970s safari suit and we all know where that leads...I know for a fact that when push comes to shove the Herringbone Kid feels much the same.

As far as being sent to Coventry I've nowt against the West Midlands, excepting perhaps that it isn't the East Midlands where in my formative years I purchased many a pleasant suit...On the other hand the Queen and her family of inbred Krauts I've no time for at all, and I'd happily wear a 60s sports jacket with a double vent in her presence if I thought she'd pick up on the slight!

Yours in Natural Fibres, TK

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Tommy Katkins said:
I believe the polite and proper cutoff date for clothing for an English Gentlemen, even a Northerner such as yourself, would be 1952 when all wartime rationing was ended...

A Concerned Friend

you're right of course Tommy. i extend the date to '55 just to net any stragglers still clinging like ticks to the old ways, but the fabric is usually inferior by then. but cut, especially trousers, not always so.

i don't think you've seen the black skinny ones i mention above as i've only worn them twice in the last few years and both times it was dark.

We've been through this before but, once again, this is for the benefit of our new members.

There are many Loungers that like 50s/60s style (and look damn good in it), and we can't understand the need for vituperative posts about it. In fact, they've become rather tiresome and it's due to this bashing that we've lost some members. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of the Indiana Jones look, but I don't have the audacity to chime in with belittlement; I simply move on to another thread. We only request the same courtesy.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
sorry Jack. just a bit of playful snobbery which obviously didn't come across as playful or funny. i actually like the late 50s-early 60s look more since seeing Thom Browne (but since you don't like Thom Browne either i probably shouldn't have said that).

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
Senator Jack said:
We've been through this before but, once again, this is for the benefit of our new members.

There are many Loungers that like 50s/60s style (and look damn good in it), and we can't understand the need for vituperative posts about it. In fact, they've become rather tiresome and it's due to this bashing that we've lost some members. Personally, I don't understand the appeal of the Indiana Jones look, but I don't have the audacity to chime in with belittlement; I simply move on to another thread. We only request the same courtesy.

yes, I'm sorry Jack...as they say its not funny and its not clever and I promise not to do it again. being a newcomer I didn't that I had to leave any semblance of wit at the door...

my trusty service revolver is loaded and waiting on my desk and you can be sure old son that I'll do the honorable thing...It'll be a pleasure.

Yours in Attrition, TK

Tommy Katkins

New in Town
herringbonekid said:
you're right of course Tommy. i extend the date to '55 just to net any stragglers still clinging like ticks to the old ways, but the fabric is usually inferior by then. but cut, especially trousers, not always so.

i don't think you've seen the black skinny ones i mention above as i've only worn them twice in the last few years and both times it was dark.

quite likely but I've yet to mention that my sometime acquaintances Danya and Minka spent a whole summer stalking you hither and lither through the thoroughfares and back alleys of Brighton and Hove...and although I was completely unaware of their activities and their imagined connection to you at the time I know more about your comings and goings and your ins and outs than I ought. I hasten to add Minka although charming, comely and foreign is unlikely to be your type and Danya...well, Danya is quite quite mad. I hope that clears things up.

now I have to go and polish my utility tallboy...

Yours in Austerity, Pappy Katkins

Rooster

Practically Family
And anyway I wouldn't dig a chick who thought a post-49 suit was a good idea, I'd suspect she could also be swayed to have the same intensity of feeling towards a chap in 1970s safari suit and we all know where that leads...
95% of the chicks in the states wouldn't know the difference.lol

Jovan

Suspended
Senator Jack said:
Egads and horrors!!!! My cool 1960s Continental Suits are incredibly boorish!!! Should I be sent to Coventry? Perhaps I'll never get to have high tea with the Queen on the S.S. Rotterdam!! Maybe it would be best to burn all my post-49 suits. Nah...Chicks dig 'em, and that's all that matters.
Methinks you are taking this a bit too personally, as with some other things.

Feraud

Bartender
Jovan said:
Methinks you are taking this a bit too personally, as with some other things.

I do not see the good in telling the offended party to not take something personally. The ol' "sorry to offend but I am going to anyway" tact is not the way to act towards members who contribute to the site and take time to plan and attend Lounge related events.
Senator Jack mentioned the loss of members due to narrow minded behavior and I hope we agree this is something to avoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24