Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 50's early 60's

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nobody did it better than the Rat Pack.

10103975.jpg

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Tomasso's photo shows only 3/5 of the 'Rat Pack'. Missing from his pic-
Sammy Davis, Jr. and the only surviving member Joey Bishop.

PER-211

Feraud

Bartender
Definitely an underappreciated time period. The 50s is a decade stereotyped by rock and roll kitsch and the 60s looked down on as a hippy haven.
There is a lot of great film, architecture, and lifestyle to be acknowledged.

Grant.jpg

ITALIAN_JOB-14.jpg

ratpack.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Rule of thumb: Whatever was popular when you were in your 20's, later on you look back and say "Thank God that's not in any more." When I started getting into 40's stuff members of my parents generation (my mom, in laws, etc.) all said, "Yuck, why would you want to dress like that?" So now that the styles of my youth, the late 50 and early 60's, are coming back as "nostalgia" my initial gut reaction is "Yuck! Why would anybody want to dress like that?" Anybody see the irony here??? So I've been forcing myself to stretch my brain and see these styles from a different point of view. Can't say as it's what I'd want to wear (I'm still devoted to 1938), but I'm coming around. My High School graduation suit, ca 1964, was outgrown and discarded decades ago. But I still have the super skinny ties I bought with it. I guess I'll hang on to them. Senator Jack, you're cool in my book!

Fredo

New in Town
Funny the dress of my teenage years in the 1980s has already come back and is out again! Part of the 80s New Wave, Ska, and Skinhead styles was really nostaglia for the 50s and 60s - Ray-Ban Wayfarers, skinny ties, gingham Ben Sherman shirts, slim lapels, stingy brim lids, etc.

So my love of the late 1950s-pre-Beatles 1960s haberdashery comes from my own teenage years! Not that I am in full eighties attire - I leave that to the hipsters in Williamsburg.

Wearing a bespoke grey flannel suit today like a true Mad Man, crisp white shirt (with cuffs of course), slim stripped green/blue tie, and pocket square (Presidential). When I go out for drinks sta sera, I will sport my black straw fedora with stingy brim flipped down. Bought that sucker at Jae Jarell vintage in Tribeca and it was in perfect condition. Add the tobacco brown tortoise shell Persol "Havana" model occhiali del sole and I'll be ready for a Fedora* cocktail at my local.

*The Fedora cocktail - 2 1/2 parts Michters Rye Whiskey, 1/2 part Italian vermouth, 1/2 part Fernet Branca - stirred (natch) and served up in a frosted sherbert glass with a twist.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeedavie
. the US version , well lets just say they never got it ....
MudInYerEye said:
What an ignorant statement. Funny, I don't remember seeing you around at all the New York shows in the 80's.
Davie: You're saying that the 80's UK Skinheads weren't really as bad as the hideous image they had in the US? You're saying that US Skinheads didn't get the humanistic side of Skinheadism? This is all very interesting to me. I've always had a totally negative image of Skinheads, regardless of what side of the pond they were on. I'd be glad to be persuaded otherwise.
(Yes, this verges on being OFF TOPIC! Sorry!):eek:fftopic:

nightandthecity

Practically Family
OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC....

Well, the original 1960s skinheads were no more racist than any other group of working class lads of the time, in fact they were probably less racist than the norm. They mixed a lot with the Caribbean kids and were well into black music - and yes, there were black skinheads too. However, many of them had a down on Asians (universally known as “Pakis”, regardless of where they actually originated), again, this was normal for the place and time and hardly exclusive to skins.

What seemed to happen - this is how it looked to me at the time anyway - is that after a few cases where some skins had attacked Asians the press launched into one of its periodic moral panics about youth and created this image of the racist skinhead “paki basher”, making out that this is what the whole subculture was about. Shortly after this there sprang up a second wave of young skinhead clones - mostly kids really, typically about 13 or 14 - who based their whole thing on the media image. A classic example of life copying art.

At this stage many of the original skins got out, but not all - from then on these two versions of skinhead have uneasily co-existed.

Back on topic - sorry, don’t like 60s suits. Too tight, not comfortable, they don’t hang well or wear well, too much use of synthetics. For me the glory days of the suit ended around the early/mid 1950s.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Makes a lot of sense. This is essentially what happened to the hippies.
Back to topic: I still prefer my 40's stuff. But hey, chacun a son lapel width.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
MudInYerEye said:
What an ignorant statement. Funny, I don't remember seeing you around at all the New York shows in the 80's.

80's skinheads are better known as BONEHEADS due to the shaved head and boots up to their knees ...no sartorial elegance whatsoever , listening to punk that they termed Oi! .

however the "spirit of '69" is such there is a group of traditional skinheads who wear tailor made suits and are as authentic as can be ..... hair is slightly longer with fully fashioned sideburns , button down shirts (often tailor made also ) levi's and boots (very very highly polished ) . at night styles change with suits replacing the levi's (shirt , socks and hanky matching) and brogues replacing boots ....no self-respecting sinhead would wear boots at night , or jeans for that matter .traditional skinheads listened to reggae, rocksteady and soul music and took their fashions from jamaican artists ....BONEHEADS should NEVER be referred to as skinhead because it's an insult to those that do it well ...

as with most 60's subcultures americans just never got it , you may call that ignorant i call it fact because it is . you have such rich culture of your own that we get wrong ....and this is the same vice-versa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany