Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Late 50's early 60's

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I like to think of it as the Senator Jack look.
thesaint.jpg

Slimmer lapels skinny ties and, well pretty clean lines.

Ater the belly huggers and the wasp waists and the aircraft carrier shoulders.

slimmer shoulders in the UK... more of the Hawaii 5-O look in the US and and the Italians still had the inverted triangle.

The coctail era.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
A sea of "narrow" lapels and ties!

The new AMC original series 'Mad Men' from writer and executive producer Matthew Weiner of The Sopranos, is an excellent example of this period of fashion sense. The show set in 1960 New York, pulls the viewer into an the high-powered and glamorous “Golden Age” of advertising.
img_home_trailer.jpg
img_home_photo.jpg

img_home_madmen_top.jpg

Rooster

Practically Family
I like the look, and have several 60's era suits that I wear. They are of high quality and well tailored. The armholes are fairly high too.

Fredo

New in Town
Jet Age suits

I love the late 50s early 60s (Jet Age) look and have all my suits tailored to that cut these days. That is, my tailor creates custom suits using the material (incl. some vintage fabric) I provide and a picture or design. Slim lapels, skinny tie, go with my collection of stingy brimmed fedoras, plus they slim you down. I own a grey flannel like the AD guys and a vintage brown sharkskin a la Sinatra - both made by my guy. In addition, I buy off the rack jackets and blazers in my size but short instead of regular. The ensures sleeves that accentuates the cuffs and it is cut closer to form. Added bonus: Shorter jacket also provides the illusion of an inch or two of height which is fine since like those Rat Packers I'm only 5'9.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
got a few suits this style as this is my era ,so to speak . i have to admit though i rarely wear formal shirts preferring nice knitwear instead (which btw is hard to get hold of in my size)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Fredo said:
I love the late 50s early 60s (Jet Age) look and have all my suits tailored to that cut these days. That is, my tailor creates custom suits using the material (incl. some vintage fabric) I provide and a picture or design. Slim lapels, skinny tie, go with my collection of stingy brimmed fedoras, plus they slim you down. I own a grey flannel like the AD guys and a vintage brown sharkskin a la Sinatra - both made by my guy. In addition, I buy off the rack jackets and blazers in my size but short instead of regular. The ensures sleeves that accentuates the cuffs and it is cut closer to form. Added bonus: Shorter jacket also provides the illusion of an inch or two of height which is fine since like those Rat Packers I'm only 5'9.

That is pretty cool. But as far as this era, I find that unless you are a really big guy, so many sweet vintage ones are so readily available for so little money, that you could fill your closet for the cost of one custom. I am sure there is great fun and pleasure in having a custom suit made and wearing it of course.

They are the only ones I ever find in thrift stores anymore. I wish they wre worth more actually.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
That is pretty cool. But as far as this era, I find that unless you are a really big guy, so many sweet vintage ones are so readily available for so little money, that you could fill your closet for the cost of one custom. I am sure there is great fun and pleasure in having a custom suit made and wearing it of course.

They are the only ones I ever find in thrift stores anymore. I wish they wre worth more actually.

speaking for myself lol , i am a really big guy :D

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
dundeedavie said:
speaking for myself lol , i am a really big guy :D

Well, that makes it harder, but I routinely used to find 44 and even 46es and 48s These are often shorts though.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
I dunno. That avatar kind of makes it hard to believe that you don't wear formal shirts. ;) :p

Regards,

J

noooooo i rarely wear formal shirts with the late 50/early 60's suits :D

that was me dressed for DJing in my avatar , stage clothes so to speak .

actually what colour tie would go with that avatar picture ? i think possibly a deep red , with matching pocket square and cuffliks of course

Davie

dundeedavie said:
noooooo i rarely wear formal shirts with the late 50/early 60's suits :D

that was me dressed for DJing in my avatar , stage clothes so to speak .

actually what colour tie would go with that avatar picture ? i think possibly a deep red , with matching pocket square and cuffliks of course

Davie

Deep red would be fine. You can also go with a white tie and go for the continental look. :D

Regards,

J

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dundeedavie said:
what colour tie ? i think possibly a deep red , with matching pocket square
Tie and square may complement each other but it's best not to have them match.

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Tie and square may complement each other but it's best not to have them match.

ahhh yes that harks back to my days as a traditional skinhead(in the UK sense and not the US sense ...i must stress that ) ,,,, when the trousers were worn 1" above the shoe and the socks, shirt and pocket square all matched for colour :D

dundeedavie

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Yes, that could easily get lost in translation. ;)

oh yes indeed .... we were very smart , always tailor made suits and immaculate and most importantly NON racsist with a love of soul and R&B . the US version , well lets just say they never got it ....along with most of the 60's subcultures to be honest

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I've always like that late '50's to mid '60's look- very streamlined.
Thanks for the posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24