Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jacket treatment

r1013

New in Town
Last October I finally found a used Jcrew Stockton Racer, leather jacket. I have been wanting one for a while, but couldn't afford it. I don't know how old it is, but it looks really nice. It fits like it was tailored just for me. It's an amazing jacket and I get several complements on it every time I wear it.

It seem pretty stiff so I thought I would put something on it when the weather got warmer and I quit wearing it. I had some Pecard's leather dressing, so about 2 months ago, I put a layer of that on it. Just in the last two weeks has it quit being sticky. I still see a little of the Pecards in some deep seams. It still feels stiff, but I think it is better. The leather is a lot thicker than my other jackets so maybe that's throwing me off. Should I put a second coat on it, or is this all I need to do? It looks nicer and I didn't think that was possible.

The only thing that bothers me, and its a very small thing, is the opening on one side, where it zips, turns out. If you look at the photos in the link below you can see it in that one also. There is about a 2-3" strip of leather that runs the full length, on the inside of the jacket, next to the zipper. It appears to be cut a little wider so it makes the zipper roll out. I guess this is for looks but I would rather it not do that. Again it's not a big deal, I'm just nit picking... I really love the jacket!!!

Here are some pictures of what it looks like.
http://www.thisheartsonfire.com/?p=2076

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't put anything else on it unless the leather is dry. Being stiff is not a reason to treat it with conditioner; it is a reason to wear it more and make it softer. You are on the right track with Pecard, but probably a premature treatment unless the jacket is perhaps ten years old with hard wear during those years.

r1013

New in Town
Thanks for the advice Peacoat. I must have had my notifications turned off and I just noticed you replied.
Thanks again!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
There are many views on when to treat a jacket with gunk. There's nothing wrong with putting Pecards on a new jacket. It aint gonna hurt it.

In your case I think one treatemnt should do it. The leather shouldn't have been sticky or moist for more than a day or two, so that's curious.

Wear it and if it doesn't soften up you could try washing it in the washing machine. An old technique done by many (I've washed many leathers) to the horror of some. A couple of my jackets became nice and soft only after that treatment.

r1013

New in Town
My heart sunk when you said washing machine! I don't think I could get myself to do that LOL. Im not saying it wont work, but knowing my luck the worst would happen for sure!! I might end up with a vest if I did that!! I went and checked it today and there are a few places that fill slightly waxy... not really sticky. The arm pit area where the leather is touching itself. and on the back, deep where the pleats are. I rubbed or buffed those areas and it went away. I used my fingers and massaged it in originally, but maybe I used to much?? I'm sure its gonna be just fine. It's the nicest jacket I have owned and I just wanted to make sure I was taking proper care of it. Not to much longer and it will be getting time to wear jackets again. Thank goodness, as I'm tired of the 90's everyday!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey man, just relax. It's a leather jacket. You can't really hurt it unless it's an astonishingly cheap piece of shit.

Chris Cherry

New in Town
Kind of on a similar note, I recently purchased a second hand leather jacket. It was a great bargain at only £30-odd for a sheepskin. What failed to occur to me is that it
smelt awful. I think it was kept somewhere a bit damp. I'd really like to get rid of the smell cheaply, rather than fork out the £47 for cleaning and my flat-mates are threatening to take fabreeze to it which I want
to avoid - does anyone know how to get rid of the smell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW