Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets w/ knit cuffs

Banzai

Familiar Face
Since I resurrected the thread on color-contrasting knits, I figured I'd ask a different question: How many of you, if you were not specifically looking for an A-2/G-1/etc., type jacket, would opt for knits?

I think the number will be pretty low, given that this style of cuff and waist is virtually absent on the market, outside of flight jacket repros.

Maybe that's because everyone wears their shirts untucked nowadays...

Random musings while the kids are taking their naps. :D

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't really like jackets with knits, I find the tendency for them to puff out at the waist doesn't flatter most people.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I personally like them but unfortunately my wife hates them with an absolute passion to the point where she won't be seen in public with me if I wear a knit cuffed/waisted jacket. I recently bought an Indy jacket after outgrowing an A-2 I had and wanting to replace it whilst not tipping the bathwater over in terms of domestic happiness. I still have a hankering for another A-2 but I'll let the heat die down for a bit.

In relation to what ProteinNerd says about puffiness at the waist I think it's really a case of individual shape. Any jacket that ends at the waist is going to accentuate any extra weight around the tum anyway, but it's exacerbated by a knit waistband. The reason why things like A-2s look flattering in WWII photos of aircrew are because (in most cases) they are rake thin. Knit waist length jackets are far less forgiving if you have a little extra padding around the old bread basket. It emphasises the girth at the waist.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It's funny that smithy's wife hates knit jackets and my fiance's favorite jacket style is the A2. I was really surprised to learn this, especially considering that she only just turned 23 and A2s are not necessarily very popular for people our age.

I personally like knits depending on the jacket. I love them on A2s and G1s for sure. On A1 style jackets, I am split. Some look good with knits, but others (like the heron) seem nicer without knits.

If the jacket fits properly and you aren't too large around the mid section, the bunching/bulging should not occur. Another thing that helps is gettign a trim fitting model of A2. I think A2s look absolutely disgusting when not fit right and this is what turned me off to the jacket originally, especially considering the fact that the A2 is very easy to get wrong. However, when done right, knit jackets like a1, a2, g1, etc look incredible.

You are probably right about them being less popular due to things like untucked shirts and lower rise pants.

My only aversions to knits are that I hate them in the heat and unless they are high-quality, they will stretch and/or pill. That is why a cheap unit won't go here.
I like both looks, and in colder weather, knits are nice.

One other thing - I wear big watches, and knits are crappy for those. That's why gents there is no ONE jacket. Buy on! :)

IXL

One Too Many
I have two jackets fitting your criteria, both made by Vanson: a Stadium, and a Team Logo jacket. The Team jacket has a full knit collar, in addition to the waist and cuffs. I am 5'11" and usually weigh around 155-159 lbs., so I don't have much of a gut.
As Butte mentioned, they are quite nice when the temperature starts dropping.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
My only aversions to knits are that I hate them in the heat and unless they are high-quality, they will stretch and/or pill. That is why a cheap unit won't go here.
I like both looks, and in colder weather, knits are nice.

One other thing - I wear big watches, and knits are crappy for those. That's why gents there is no ONE jacket. Buy on! :)

You relish being a bad influence, don't you? :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if knits are still seen as a bit 70s/80s for the mass market. But I saw one student type on the underground last week wearing a cordovan A-2 style with black knits, and it really stood out, in a good way. The thing I've noticed is that, where I've seen knits on mall jackets, they are pretty cheap quality and that is never going to age well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Bad jackets with knits have always been popular here, especially black slim fit mall bomber jackets with a hint of A2 styling. The kids were and are wearing them. A good A2 does look good on some people. I've never liked knits because they are the weakest link in any leather jacket. Something that attracts moths, gets dirty, snags on things and wears out before the jacket does.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I have numerous versions of both & if the jacket fits well, knits aren't a problem. I have sold many G-1's over the years after having to constantly pull & tug at the waist. I don't seem to have that issue with the slightly longer bodies on the M-422a series. If its colder weather & i'm wearing heavier clothing underneath, I usually opt for one without knits.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I always avoided them but I learned to like knit cuffs on my Vanson Stadium.

Yes, they are the weakest link in a jacket, but weakest Link in this Case means they need replacement once every 5 years if you wear the jacket daily and let's face it; most of us own so many jackets, each own only gets a few dozens days of wear a year, so knit replacement won't be an issue until year 2099.

Then, my Stadium is so thinly lined, you can basicly speak of unlined; due to the knit cuffs, it is comfortable in the ummer when worn open but unlike other Summer jackets, I can also wear it when temperature drops, because zipped up it's so much warmer than a jacket without knits.

As for the unfortunate fit on people with less athletic bodies; Yes, absolutely true, but let's be blunt; any jacket looks better on a athletic body than on one with belly, I would not blame this on this type of jacket especially.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
'Horses for courses'

I'm a big fan of knits (leather & nylon jackets): A-2, A-1, G-1, MA-1, L-2B, N-2A, N-2A, CWU etc...looking better on the slimmer version of me I'll admit than the couch potato.

Also a big fan of jackets without knits: Irvin, D-1, French Cycle Jacket, Cafe Racer etc & then there's Parkas.

:)

Edward

Bartender
I like knits.... though I long for the day when they invent a manmade fibre that has the properties of wool without attracting moths....

My Higheayman has knits, as does my Waterfront. I have others with knits but those are the two wholly civilian styles that I have with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart