Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather pea coat

the loco

One of the Regulars
I'm looking to buy a leather pea coat jacket, not sure what are the options there. I saw the Schott 140, but I don't like the seam on the chest, not sure about the yoke bottoms either.

140-Black-1.jpg

The AL peacoat seems almost perfect, with just 3 pairs of buttons and more macho style shape. The chromexel steer should be better then the naked cowhide Schott uses. But there is a substantial price difference too.

peacoat-in-black-horween-chromeexcel-steerhide-001.jpg

Not sure if there are more options there?

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I'd be willing to bet Johnson Leather from San Francisco can make you a fantastic custom leather peacoat, at a price to beat! Don't let their website scare you off, I've heard they make an outstanding product, at a price point around 600-700 USD I believe. Made to your custom measurements, you can pick almost any hide out there (kangaroo, deer, cow, horse, goat, etc.) and they can make about any style you'd want to! They can even make you an exact copy of another jacket that you have or like. A project I'd still like to do someday, is send them a cheap, crappy $20 Chinese-made faux-leather jacket (but with a very cool look) and have them make me a high quality goatskin copy of it :)

zebedee

One Too Many
This is just my view- and I offer it only to give an alternative- but on most people, leather pea coats seem (to me) odd-looking. The pic above is an exception, and a fantastic jacket which suits its owner perfectly from wear pics in a previous thread. The only leather pea coat I owned was a bit of a mistake because there was just too much of it and I always felt it looked nuts unbuttoned. The Aero Stockman I have is a huge improvement, and I'd advise considering one with a bigger collar, or perhaps a long Teamster. It is only my opinion, of course, but the pea coat style suits heavy wool far better than leather.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I had the Schott, picked it up quite cheaply on eBay, but didn't take to it. Seemed both large and bulky whilst restrictive and not particularly warm for the weight of it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, a very nice Lost Worlds. I think that is in the goat? This is what I am leaning toward in a leather peacoat. But I have so many now--both peacoats and leather jackets--that I can't exercise all of them. Our winters here need to be 6 months long rather than barely 4 months.

markforce

New in Town
Went through similar considerations a couple of years ago and ended up with an Aero Barnstormer custom without the belt/loops. Then there's Aero's own Mariner with the faux-belt on the back. While not 100% pea coat, both represent decent options IMHO.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Yes, a very nice Lost Worlds. I think that is in the goat? This is what I am leaning toward in a leather peacoat. But I have so many now--both peacoats and leather jackets--that I can't exercise all of them. Our winters here need to be 6 months long rather than barely 4 months.

Yes this is goat, the peacoat is 2 years old.

My only regret about the coat is I should have ask the same length as my WWII peacoat, but I messed up by asking a shorter length.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Mariner doesn't get much attention on here, but I met a Japanese guy in Paris a few years back who was sporting one and it looked fantastic. I've thought since then that if I ever move back up north I'd look into one.

the loco

One of the Regulars
Yes this is goat, the peacoat is 2 years old.

My only regret about the coat is I should have ask the same length as my WWII peacoat, but I messed up by asking a shorter length.

Great jacket too. What type of leather would be best suited for a peacoat in your opinion?

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Have you considered the Schott 650? It is something like a peacoat but I think it was actually based on a French or German armoured car/tank crew jacket.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Great jacket too. What type of leather would be best suited for a peacoat in your opinion?

It's just my opinion but I wouldn't choose a heavy and stiff leather the coat would be unwearable for me. It's why I choose goat a butter soft leather but a tough one.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
Re: type of leather, really depends on your individual tastes and intended use. For example, will the jacket be used in wet weather conditions frequently? Will you be wearing the jacket in certain temperature ranges, e.g. winter/fall vs. spring/summer? Will you be hiking or doing a lot of outdoorsy activities like going through forests, shrubbery, and the like? Or are you planning to wear it in casual 'pub' situations regularly or not-very-often? Many people extol the virtues of thick, heavy leather that can endure heavy use and last years, but never keep their jackets for more than 1-2 years before getting new ones, etc. So does the jacket in your particular use case need to have a lifespan of 20+ years? Considerations like these play into the ultimate practical reasons for selecting a particular hide. Alternatively, you can take a more 'top down' approach and buy an ideal jacket based on certain valued abstract qualities and attributes, then choose to wear the jacket in conditions where those qualities and attributes are meaningful to you.

Most of my formal clothing fall into the latter category; but stuff like boots, hunting gear, 'streetwear', etc., fall into the former.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Speed and think a jacket like this in a thinner hide would be more comfortable and versatile. In 2.2oz HH or goat you'd could still leave the jacket to your children. Leather doesn't need to be thick to last. Most of the vintage jackets from the 30s and 40's that have survived are much thinner than the new FQHH seen here. My favorite jacket is just over 2 oz a thinner steerhide and is 40 years old. I reckon it has another 40 years in it.

Last edited:

Peacoat

Bartender
It's just my opinion but I wouldn't choose a heavy and stiff leather the coat would be unwearable for me. It's why I choose goat a butter soft leather but a tough one.

My feelings exactly. There is a lot of leather in a peacoat, and that adds to the weight on the shoulders. Normally a heavy weight jacket doesn't bother me like it bothers Seb, but the heavy FQHH by Lost Worlds may be just a bit too much with this type of coat. I think the goat is an excellent choice.

Also, SpeedRcrX, I didn't realize your coat was almost two years old. I well remember when you got it.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Also, SpeedRcrX, I didn't realize your coat was almost two years old. I well remember when you got it.

And that leather hasn't budge, same with the stitchings I wear it all winter all the time, at work, to go out... And the peacoat is as good as new! Really tough stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR