Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legging laces

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
I purchased a pair or what i believe are original (seller wasnt very specific, but they were cheaper then new repros) leggings in excellent condition off ebay not too long ago, and they arrived today. I was lacing up the right one when suddenly, snap, the leather lace broke. I was wondering where i can get new laces for these, or what will substitute for these? there does not seem to be any way to repair the laces short of tieing them together. Does anyone know, perhaps, or where i can get some light colored leather boot laces?
Wolfe

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Ok, i cut a pair of leather laces in half and used them, darker than the ones that originally came with the leggings, but i guess they will work. Admins can delete thread.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Sgt Brown said:
Leather laces? What period are these leggings? WWII leggings used textile laces.

Tom
They are WWII, they came with leather so i assumed thats what they usually had. I'll go take some photos and return.
Wolfe

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Original legging laces are notorious for breaking. We don't even use them anymore after several instances of breakage. Once I even had the entire side of my legging (an original khaki pair of women's leggings) blow out, yet the lace remained intact. Go figure. lol

A lot of guys use long shoelaces, but my husband bought a long spool of light OD nylon cord (yes, nylon - but not shiny). Holds up like a champ and looks period.

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the delay, stuff happened.Upon closer inspection of the label i found the date 8/8/40. Ill probably stick with what i have in it at the moment, i wont be doing any reenacting any time soon.
img0813vd.jpg

294q5jm.jpg

2q0ln9j.jpg

9pyt07.jpg

r92al1.jpg

img0818a.jpg

img0820dg.jpg

These are the laces that came with them.
img0821g.jpg

Wolfe

WolfeMan

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:
Just speculating here. But as they are pre-war might they have had leather laces?

Matt
That would make sense, as textile would probably have been cheaper.
Wolfe

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
The Army changed from breeches and leg wraps to trousers with leggings in the very late 1930's - some as late as 1939. The Air Corps went first, then the other branches. They went straight into the WWII-style leggings. I have a pair of the very early leggings and they have textile laces.

Tom

BaggyPants

Familiar Face
The M38 leggings are basically the 1917 pattern with more holes and hooks. All used round cotton laces. I've never seen a pair with leather laces before, and believe that those are not original to the leggings.

http://www.aef-doughboys.com/leggings.html

Leather laces are a cow to get tight and even, so I cannot see them being very effective in leggings. They're bad enough in Corcoran boots, which is why those were often replaced with brown round or flat cotton laces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters