Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser Known Sartorial Inspirations

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
We all know about Cary Grant, Fred Astaire, Adolphe Menjou, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. the Duke of Windsor, as “sartorial gods” or inspiration.

I am curious about lesser known sartorial inspirations that you might have (A couple that get mentioned from time to time in the Lounge are Gary Cooper, Ataturk, and some others.) I’d like to hear more about some of these, inspirations that most Loungers do not think of.

Since its my topic I’ll throw my hat in the ring and go first.

Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan (I will do my best to keep this non-political). He was a British trained lawyer and had a successful practice in Bombay/Mumbai in the early 20th Century that made him wealthy. He was always very well turned out and appreciated British tailoring from Saville Row. He had a thing for 3 piece double breasted suits (supposedly had 100s of them), a monocle, 1000s of silk ties (supposedly he never wore the same one twice), and spectator shoes. It was sometimes said that he was the best dressed man in the British Empire. Towards the end of career because of political reasons he dressed in traditional Northern Indian/Pakistani clothes like his sherwani and karakuli cap. But at heart he was a man who favored a nicely suit bespoke suit (You can find some photos of him in a sherwani, but sporting spectators etc.).

Here are some photos in his classic look from the 1940s. By the 1940s he was dying of tuberculosis and that had a major impact on his appearance. His bespoke suits started to “hang on his frame” towards the end. But still I think he always cuts quite a nice figure.

50877218.jpg

MuhammadAliJinnah.jpg

Quaid-e-Azam-1.jpg

mohammad-ali-jinnah-september-18-1947.jpg

Here are some photos from earlier in the 20th Century

mosaic2ddd45c92f569d9094bd9e7126ef72f173e0c6a9.jpg

Here is some further reading if interested:
http://pakteahouse.net/2010/11/24/jinnah-as-a-fashion-icon/

I'll add a few more of mine and I would like to hear about some of yours!

Last edited:

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
He's a very snappy dresser indeed! I find Churchill in his younger days, and in later life, to be quite an inspiration.

6a00d83452aeca69e20133ec494db4970b-800wi

Sadly, I can't quite assemble this sort of thing for morning wear on my limited budget, but it's the sort of thing I'd happily throw on. William Powell, on the other hand, is definitely somebody who managed to look damn good in suits and seems to have preferred three-pieces.

2180865388_3c3c38b97a.jpg

william-powell-2a.jpg

William-Powell.jpg

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Matt,

Thank you for your addition! I also have found Chruchill's style in 1910-20s quite snappy, a little eccentric at times, but I like it! William Powell also is one I've admired over time.

I'll submit another I that use for inspiration, the French film star Jean Gabin.
jean_gabin1.jpg

When he was younger I think he looked a bit like Kenneth Branagh.

10879310_gal.jpg

touchez-pas-au-grisbi-53-09-g.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner