Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire these Cliches

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
KilroyCD said:
There are a couple of common expressions used where I live (which is in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country) that drive me nuts. First, people will ask, "What for you have for (insert whatever item here)...?" I'd just love to say "Do you mean, What do we have in (insert whatever item here)...?" The other thing is what someone will say when something is all gone or sold out. The person will say, "I'm sorry, that item is all." I'm thinking, "All WHAT? Complete the dog-gone sentence!"
There, that's off my chest. Just don't get me started on apostrophies being used incorrectly. Turning plurals into possessives drives me up a wall!

Now that strikes me as a bit different. Most of the posts here are complaining about trendy things people pick up from tv or popular culture and use too much. Whereas, you are talking about quirky od regional dialectic stuff. I find that charming, interesting and sadly, dissapearing. to me, it has the same appeal as a nice vintage suit. An odd, anachronastic thing that is still hanging around.

While I certainly respect your opinion on it, I feel just the opposite.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
nyx said:
Lord, there are so many I could name. I hate any internet misspellings or text message abbreviations. Personal favorites: "teh," "kewl," and "wat r u doin?" As an English Composition teacher, I would get college freshmen who would actually put "nite" or "thru" in the their papers. :rage: :rage: :rage:

I also hate "irregardless." What the heck does that mean? I've heard professionals at my work use it--people with college degrees. Eek!

And finally, my least favorite phrase ever: "That's what she said." As in, "It's hot." "That's what she said!" "That was a tough workout." "That's what she said!" etc. For some reason, the guys I know find it hysterical. Besides the fact that it turns mundane things into something pathetically suggestive, it's just dumb. I always say, "How old are you again?" to them. Sigh.

Also, pigeontoe, you're new avatar is CUTE!

While I wouldn't care for someone saying it all the time, my friend Al and I would sometimes get on a "that's what she said" kick. There is a certain cleverness, when done right, to recognize the subtle multiple meanings of words and phrases. If over used, it would be dreary. But a well placed "that what she said between "bros" is kind of funny.

That is, of course, the first time I have ever used the phrase bro, and I think the last.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
How about we all adopt a classic bit of Maine dialect, and begin referring to anything of quality as "wicked decent." Or if it's *really* first-rate, "some old wicked decent." I live for the day when I hear that phrase delivered in an elegant Southern accent or refined upper-class British tones.

There are people in the UK who use "wicked" to mean something good.. not in an upper class accent though

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Problem is, when something starts as clever or funny, it quickly becomes overused and cliche.

My votes, if someone has not mentioned them already.

Amazing. That was an amazing dinner. He is an amazing guy. I for one, would like to resever amazing for something or someone that truly amazes me. Secondly, Politically correct.

I am pretty liberal, and I resent anyone applying this term to something by way of dismissal.

For example, pointing out that something is offensive to a certain group of people and maybe you should be more sensitive is being aware and considerate, not politically correct.

Suggesting that the dominant culture might want to rethink certain attitudes is not just politically correct to me.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
What cracks me up are those phrases so overused that they begin to be used incorrectly without anyone noticing.

For example:
"I could care less." If you could care less, you would. Do you not mean, "I couldn't care less," indicating that you do not care at all? No one seems to notice the difference.

I find it so amusing that I start messing up clichés on purpose to see if anyone notices. I was terribly busy last week planning a move. So when asked how I was doing, all week I replied, "I feel like I am running around with my head cut off" (instead of "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off"). I can assure you I would not be running without my head.

I can also assure you that I hang around with intelligent and good-humored people who would make it their business to bust my chops if they picked up on the mistake, but no one noticed.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
ALSO

I am not sure if it's a cliché, but of late I have caught myself way overusing "sounds like a plan."

I seem to end every phone call and conversation in which something is agreed upon with "sounds like a plan!" I just can't stop myself.

Please help.

carter

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
How about we all adopt a classic bit of Maine dialect, and begin referring to anything of quality as "wicked decent." Or if it's *really* first-rate, "some old wicked decent." I live for the day when I hear that phrase delivered in an elegant Southern accent or refined upper-class British tones.
Cliches I could do without? Anything and everything derived from dot-com-era corporate newspeak.

Thank you LizzieMaine. I've read wicked good in the L.L. Bean catalog for years and occasionally wondered about that descriptive phrase.

I'm so down with you regarding corporate newspeak. ;)

A few more irritants are:

Nucular - Rather than nuclear

Mossacin - Rather than Moccasin

Irregardless - Rather than regardless (previously posted) (This sounds like pompously poor grammar.)(Why don't we use never the less more often?)

Sandridge - Rather than sandwich

What is most annoying is poor grammar in general. especially, "me and ____".

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Carter

If we are throwing language "sloppiness" into the mix, then there are many, many more to choose from lol

I actually yelled at my radio the other day (not angry, just making myself laugh) because a gentleman on a commercial said "Ashley" instead of "actually."

"It's a frickin' commercial. YOU CAN DO ANOTHER TAKE!!!"

Otherwise I am going to go on believing his surround sound system is so amazing, "it's like Ashley being there" ... whoever she is.

dostacos

Practically Family
Samsa said:
I absolutely loathe:

push the envelope

think outside of the box
I would be willing to push the envelope right out of the box for you:eusa_doh:

FYI when that is SAID it really ticks me off, in a written memo I don't mind but when my boss says that I want to whup her upside her head her FYIs are usually followed by total babble....

Miss Brill said:
No $#!t Sherlock!
Well, duh!
Have a better way to say "Thanks for stating the completely obvious, which everyone else in the room already knew?" If ya do, I'd love to hear it... (Although they are overused, I'll agree with you there.)

hell to the no
New one on me--must not have made it to Seattle yet...

Word!
boobs
muffin top
knocked up
cherry (for virginity)
$#!t faced
beer goggles
On these, we are in total agreement, I believe.

And one from my pet-peeves list:
"Take it easy". Said six or seven times by someone you're trying to gracefully extract yourself from the company of, or just when you really need to get going. What is it about "I have things I gotta do, see ya when I see ya" that people find it so hard to comprehend? (Operative words bolded)

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Sandridge - Rather than sandwich

In Chicago, it's pronounced "sangwich".

Another phrase that's gotten tiresome for me is "if you will". I worked for an attorney who said that all the time. My parents' minister also uses that phrase a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy