Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Those Novelty Prints

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Some vintage fabrics are just so cute! This is a find from my grandmother's house. I don't really know how old it is but I thought it was so cute.
DCP_0939.jpg

It's yellow seersucker with cowboys, cacti, and red fences. It doesn't seem to have any stains and there's quite a decent bit of yardage I think, although I haven't actually laid it out to look. Now, what to make????

Who else has some uber-cute novelty prints they want to share?

Also, anyone ever buy from this website before??? http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/
They seem to have a big selection and not too bad of prices but what is their fabric really like?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Great website!

Also, anyone ever buy from this website before??? http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/
They seem to have a big selection and not too bad of prices but what is their fabric really like?

I'd like to know if anyone else has purchased from this website too. Great prices and a big selection. More rayon choices than what I've seen around here in the local fabric stores.

Thanks for posting that website.

Elaina

One Too Many
I haven't personally bought anything, but a good friend of mine has and she recommended them to me.

The fabrics are decent quality, some are like what you can get from JoAnn's, some of it is better. So I guess I would call it mid-high end material, mostly it's more mid range. I eventually will wind up having to go there since I refuse to shop at JoAnn's and I'm not to pleased with Hancock's doing the switch and bait on fabric (putting it on clearance aisles and then saying it was put up wrong and I wind up paying more then twice what I paid for), and Wal-Mart (don't kill me!) closing their fabric departments down.

Elaina

BonnieJean

Practically Family
and Wal-Mart (don't kill me!) closing their fabric departments down.

Wal-Mart is closing their fabric departments down????:eek:

That was always a good place to get "cheapie" fabric for curtains and other projects. Sometimes I'd even find some fabric for clothing.

I'm curious, how come you don't shop at JoAnn's? I'm discouraged with our local one because the fabric selection is getting smaller and now its mostly the fleece stuff and crafts.

I think I'll be buying stuff online too. And joining the "club" is very inexpensive. I like the idea of fabric swatches every month and other discounts. Sounds better than my JoAnn's flyer.

Is sewing your own clothes going by the wayside?

Elaina

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
Wal-Mart is closing their fabric departments down????:eek:

I'm curious, how come you don't shop at JoAnn's? I'm discouraged with our local one because the fabric selection is getting smaller and now its mostly the fleece stuff and crafts.

I think I'll be buying stuff online too. And joining the "club" is very inexpensive. I like the idea of fabric swatches every month and other discounts. Sounds better than my JoAnn's flyer.

Is sewing your own clothes going by the wayside?

According to the fabric manager it's not all stores, but over half will be closed by January, with all of them closing in the next few years.

I don't shop at JoAnn's for a variety of reasons. One of which is if I'm paying $15 a yard for fabric it better be darn nice. It's not. Another is going in after a marathon sewing day and asking where brocade is getting sighed at and told "Well it's there but I really need to assist paying customers", going in 15 min before close to get one yard of fabric to finish, getting screamed at to leave and allowing a minority right after me, and their coupon policy sucks. Just really bad expirences with them.

I think sewing is going to the wayside period. Those that do sew find places for cheap fabrics. I guess I'll have to go see my friend in NYC soon.

Elaina

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Wow, Elaina, you really have had bad experiences with them! I've only had a few annoyances, but I live about 20 miles away from them and if I can shop online and get good fabric--that's a plus for me. I've also noticed the quality of fabric has gone downhill at JoAnn's. It seems every bolt had some type of flaw in it. They always have time for the "crafting ladies", but it seems I have to wait forever to get fabric cut. Same is true at Wal-Mart. I think I'll give my business elsewhere and I'm going to order some fabric from this place. Its got to be better than the stuff I've been looking at here locally.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
OH, we don't have any quilt stores around here--maybe if I drive 50 miles or so. The closest we have is JoAnn's. I live in a smaller metropolitan area.

Elaina

One Too Many
I do live near a couple and unfortunately their fabric is 8-12/yd for the same fabrics JoAnn's and others sell for half that.

The ones that aren't are good for my garment making, and I don't quilt.

I am a huge proponent of shopping locally, but my budget can't always afford paying double or triple the price.

Elaina

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, that website is great. I'm planning on starting sewing very soon, as soon as I can take time away from my job hunt and studying for boards. This site does have great vintagey fabrics. I have the perfect day dress in mind for quite of few of those prints. Thanks for the link. I think when I do start sewing I'll stick with this company and not go to JoAnn. It's about 20 miles from me, and I don't want to drive that far just to have a bad experience, small selection, and lower quality.
It's a shame about Walmart, but I'm not a big fan of there store in general. They tend to be of lower quality in the things I've bought from them in the past. However, I've seen a few commercials for their new clothing line, I think it's called George ME. They showed some very cute vintagey blouses and skirts. I looked at them online, but can't tell what the quality was, so didn't buy any.

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Hi Ladies,

I have bought fabric from fashionfabricsclub.com and I am pleased with it. I bought some green rayon, and a couple flower prints similiar to what Daisy described. The only thing about them was that it took over a week for the fabric to get to me in the mail. But overall, it is worth it since the selection is better than Jo-Ann's.

Elaina

One Too Many
Wal-Mart's line is Metro, and it's by George. It's a little better then the usual offerings (and the price reflects it) and it's in general about the same you can get at Target now. The shoes are good from them, I just bought several.

Personally, I'm weird. I look at all my garments very carefully, and then dissect it in the store to determine if I could make it better, if it would be cost efficient, if the fabric is too cheap/don't like it or the color, and so on. If it fails on any one point, I go home and draft a pattern for it.

I therefore hardly buy clothing. While the Metro line is fine, I would rather come home and make it out of something I like better.

Elaina

maisie

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Does anyone have any novelty prints to show us here? :)

Oh, i have some lovely dresses with the coolest prints on them! I have one with flowers ( in the prettiest colours and designs!) horses and deco designs. Then i have a blouse that has got landmarks on it including the Statue of Liberty! i will try and post some pictures as soon as possible.:D

Katydid

One of the Regulars
Elaina said:
I haven't personally bought anything, but a good friend of mine has and she recommended them to me.

The fabrics are decent quality, some are like what you can get from JoAnn's, some of it is better. So I guess I would call it mid-high end material, mostly it's more mid range. I eventually will wind up having to go there since I refuse to shop at JoAnn's and I'm not to pleased with Hancock's doing the switch and bait on fabric (putting it on clearance aisles and then saying it was put up wrong and I wind up paying more then twice what I paid for), and Wal-Mart (don't kill me!) closing their fabric departments down.

Elaina
I've given up on fabric stores around here. Joanne's just makes me mad every time I go in there. I get tired of seeing polyester and calico when I really want some rayon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy