Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A handsome timepiece, Hawk Eye. I have its twin - my grandfather's. Alas, mine is stopped. I think the mainspring broke.

Hawk_Eye said:
Its my first vintage watch and I was surprised to see how small it was compared to my modern watches.

I was surprised by this as well, but am reminded of a fighter-pilot joke I once heard: "How do you tell a bomber pilot in the shower? He's the one with the big watch and the small..." Well, you get the idea. Apologies to any bomber pilots in the room, I'm sure it's not true.

The point being - you don't need a giant watch to prove your masculinity!

-Dave

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Make me #3 in size shock.

David Conwill said:
A handsome timepiece, Hawk Eye. I have its twin - my grandfather's. Alas, mine is stopped. I think the mainspring broke.

I was surprised by this as well, but am reminded of a fighter-pilot joke I once heard: "How do you tell a bomber pilot in the shower? He's the one with the big watch and the small..." Well, you get the idea. Apologies to any bomber pilots in the room, I'm sure it's not true.

The point being - you don't need a giant watch to prove your masculinity!

-Dave

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I have been wanting both a vintage wristwatch and a vintage pocket watch, and I found both last month at an antique shop.

1967 Bulova automatic; runs quite well, keeps excellent time.

32681155320325229129432.jpg

Westclox "Bull's Eye" pocket watch, unsure of date. It needs a crystal and a chain, but both can be had with relative ease. I know it's a dollar watch, but it runs well enough and keeps time, so I don't mind.

32681155326165375129432.jpg

While neither of these are perfect, the since they were $20.00 combined, how could I refuse?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Waiting impatiently...

cufflinkmaniac said:
I have been wanting both a vintage wristwatch and a vintage pocket watch, and I found both last month at an antique shop....Westclox "Bull's Eye" pocket watch, unsure of date. It needs a crystal and a chain, but both can be had with relative ease. I know it's a dollar watch, but it runs well enough and keeps time, so I don't mind.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Dear CLM, I expect you've already noticed you posted the wristwatch twice....sure would like to see your pocketwatch! Faith, don't worry about what it cost...or, for that matter, what it IS...if you like it, and it's something you've wanted a long time...I'd like to see it. Congratulations!

"Skeet"

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Oops! I will correct the problem. Thanks for the encouragment!

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Dear CLM, I expect you've already noticed you posted the wristwatch twice....sure would like to see your pocketwatch! Faith, don't worry about what it cost...or, for that matter, what it IS...if you like it, and it's something you've wanted a long time...I'd like to see it. Congratulations!

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
cufflinkmaniac said:
IWestclox "Bull's Eye" pocket watch, unsure of date. It needs a crystal and a chain, but both can be had with relative ease. I know it's a dollar watch, but it runs well enough and keeps time, so I don't mind.

32681155326165375129432.jpg

That's what I thought: many happy memories. That was MY first pocket watch, back in the day (the mid-60s) when I was a young teenager with exceptionally...odd tastes and interests. I still have that watch; I carried it for several years, until I was lucky enough to meet an old Railroad man in his 80s in the Adirondacks...luckily for me, on a completely random and short acquaintance, he was generous enough to give me his Hampden watch...which became my daily watch for several decades. Here it is:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF1872

Enjoy your watch, and thanks for the memories!

"Skeet"

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Thanks! I can relate to being a teenager with odd tastes. I can't wait to start wearing it. This is actually my fourth pocket watch. My first was when I was six or seven, it was a gift from my Grandfather. It featured Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm not really sure what happened to it. Number two was a gift from a neighbor. It was a quartz model and didn't work. My little cousin liked it so I have it to him, with the neighbor's blessing. Numero tres is a cheap Coleman purchased at Target. I still have it.

That's a nice timepiece you have as well! You really got lucky!

http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF1872[/URL]

Enjoy your watch, and thanks for the memories!

"Skeet"

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Talbot said:
I'm liking the heck out of that Waltham, but that Elgin says 'America!' to me.

:eusa_clap

Hey Talbot, thank you!

I see you're from Melbourne, Australia? Do you know the Camberwell Rotary Market, near Camberwell Junction? That's where I bought the watch...and chain...and the 1914 Conklin Crescent-filler (bottom pen, in black). I had the watch serviced by The Watch Gallery, at 337 Little Collins Street, in the CBD. They did an absolutely marvellous job. Watch looks & runs like new.

I can certainly relate to being a teenager with weird tastes, as I was one not very long ago. I'm a 21-year-old university student, and yes, I wear that Waltham pocket watch every day. I'd never get to all my classes on time without it! I wear it with the chain and I wear them both proudly and happily. My fountain pens (which are a lot more than the three in the photo), follow me everywhere whenever I need to write something. No ballpoints for me...I don't even allow them into my room.

I wake up each morning, select my pens for the day (at least two), wind up my watch, toss it in my pocket, do up the chain and head out the door. For those people who stare and gawk, I have a wonderful, mouth-shutting excuse for them...you can't expect a person with bad eyesight to be able to tell his time with a puny little WRISTWATCH, can you? I can't! In days gone by, a man wore a pocket watch. Something big, substantial and easy to read. And reability is important to me, right next to accurate timekeeping. And my Waltham fulfils both necessities admirably!

Shangas said:
You can't expect a person with bad eyesight to be able to tell his time with a puny little WRISTWATCH, can you? I can't! In days gone by, a man wore a pocket watch. Something big, substantial and easy to read. And reability is important to me, right next to accurate timekeeping.

As I have entered into the time of life where reading glasses are becoming an essential, I find that some of my chronographic wristwatches have lost functionality as they are too small to read.

One thing is with many modern makers have wristwatches that have some of the largest faces I have ever seen, many to the point of appearing comical.

Talbot

One Too Many
Shangas said:
Hey Talbot, thank you!

I see you're from Melbourne, Australia? Do you know the Camberwell Rotary Market, near Camberwell Junction? That's where I bought the watch...and chain...and the 1914 Conklin Crescent-filler (bottom pen, in black). I had the watch serviced by The Watch Gallery, at 337 Little Collins Street, in the CBD. They did an absolutely marvellous job. Watch looks & runs like new.

Shangas, if I see anyone around the CBD using a pocket watch I'll know its you! Likewise if you see the blue car about town...

Is there anyone you would recommend in the CBD for fountain pen work. I'd like a narrower nib for my Parker 51.

The Watch Gallery has a great reputation, and while I don't get to the Camberwell Market much these days, some of my friends sell there regularly.

Teenagers with odd taste, ahh the memories;)

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Talbot said:
Shangas, if I see anyone around the CBD using a pocket watch I'll know its you! Likewise if you see the blue car about town...

Is there anyone you would recommend in the CBD for fountain pen work. I'd like a narrower nib for my Parker 51.

The Watch Gallery has a great reputation, and while I don't get to the Camberwell Market much these days, some of my friends sell there regularly.

Teenagers with odd taste, ahh the memories;)

If you see a teenager wearing a pocket watch in the CBD, that's me, alright!

In the CBD, I would suggest that you pay a visit to Pen City. I forget the actual address, but it's somewhere on Elizabeth Street, 250 Elizabeth Street, I believe. It's a nice, family-owned business which should be able to help you with your Parker '51'. If not, try www.vintagepens.com.au, the domain of Peter Ford, who is one of the local Melbourne pen repairers and owner of Melbourne Vintage Pens. Either of those should be able to get you a replacement nib for your '51'.

I was so happy to find The Watch Gallery. It seems that finding good watchmakers these days is next to impossible. While I'll gladly fix my own fountain pens, I won't ever dare to repair my own watch!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
BinkieBaumont said:
3514246949_50ef3ea5e0.jpg

"I love this one for its big easy to see "Deco Style" Numbers"

That watch is gorgeous! I love Art Deco watches - they are so elegant.

Here is my new watch - its a Gruen from about the late 1940's I reckon (could be later - I don't know)- 14K white gold with diamonds:

Watch.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Say 'Hi!' to my new...sorta...watch...

DSC05803.jpg

Waltham M1908. 7-jewel stem-wind, stem-set hunter-case pocket watch. This watch sports a nifty, 20-year gold-filled "Dennison" case and is a size 16. While it LOOKS turn of the century (and indeed, I was fooled!), it was actually made in the boomtime of the Roaring Twenties! This watch was born in 1926, which makes it 83 years old!

I'm yet to send it off to my watchmaker for an overhaul.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Miss Golightly said:
I love Art Deco watches - they are so elegant.

Really? Me too. Well here is another one, Hami Boone for a well dressed man:;)

9163-hamilton-boone-ca-1936-37.jpg

What I like most on this one is, that it looks bigger on my (not that big) wrists, besides measuring only 38 x 25 mm. It even seems to be bigger than a Sutton, which is 42 mm long. Strange but must be because of the more block/square-shaped form of the Boone.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
These are two Elgins I got on the bay many years ago. The 'older' looking one worked for a long time, and stopped recently. I think the mainspring 'sprung.' It probably needs either a new spring, or the one thats in there reconnected.

The 'newer' one never worked although everything is there, except the setting pull handle. When I opne th back and manually start the movemnent, it goes for a short while and then stops, so its probably dirty.

I was told that these date from around 1885, but Im not sure. All I know is that I wanted exactly this type of watch, and I know theyre vintage, so Im happy.

Does anyone have a lead on a good watch repair place that can clean and fix these? Thanks.

0401090725.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL