Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's See Your Watches! The Vintage Watch Thread.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
cufflinkmaniac said:
32681155326165375129432.jpg

While neither of these are perfect, the since they were $20.00 combined, how could I refuse?

I had one of those as my first pocket watch when I was a teenager. It was all of about $5 new. =o)

I also have a Caravelle pocketwatch that I was given as a gift in 1982, so its definitely not vintage, but I still wear it. Ill take a pic of it and post it in a little while.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Scotty.

You've got two sidewinder pocket watches from the 1880s there. They're hunter-cased movements placed into open-faced watch-cases...which basically means it's the wrong movement in the wrong case.

That trifling detail aside...

You really shouldn't run any of those watches without having them serviced. It can do all kinds of damage. I suggest www.pocketwatcher.org - they might be good. I send my pocket watches to my man at the Watch Gallery in Melbourne...nice and local.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Shangas said:
Hey Scotty.

You've got two sidewinder pocket watches from the 1880s there. They're hunter-cased movements placed into open-faced watch-cases...which basically means it's the wrong movement in the wrong case.

That trifling detail aside...

You really shouldn't run any of those watches without having them serviced. It can do all kinds of damage. I suggest www.pocketwatcher.org - they might be good. I send my pocket watches to my man at the Watch Gallery in Melbourne...nice and local.

Thats ok. I paid next to nothing for them. I'll check out the lead you provided. Thanks muchly.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
"New" early Wrist-watch and Vintage Watch Straps...

After several seasons doing my 1920s bird-hunting thing with a 'teens pocket watch (which I used to carry in the breast pocket of my gunning vest, with a fob strap hanging out--until it got caught in some of the thick stuff, leaving me with the watch but nothing else) I found that JUST WHEN YOU WANTED A QUICK TIME CHECK--that is, at the very end of shooting hours, with a bird marked down or a point somewhere "over there...." and night falling fast it was just too much trouble to break the gun, snap open a pocket, root around for the watch, check the time, replace watch, snap pocket, close gun...well, you get the idea....I REALLY wanted to find an early wristwatch I could afford. Not as easy as it seemed.

After a couple of years of $350 and up watches, I finally found one that looked good to me and was in my range for something I would be running through the woods with. And then...to find a proper strap for it.

I decided to bite the bullet and order one from:
http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/

I don't think his prices are particularly exorbitant, but with the exchange rate and postage...it adds up. British customers have a bargain!

It arrived about a week ago, and I think the pictures will speak for themselves:
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF2798
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF2796&bgcolor=black
http://gallery.me.com/finiancircle#100014/DSCF2792&bgcolor=black

The proprietor, David Boettcher, was a pleasure to work with; there were some difficulties between point "A" and point "B" because the skiving machine broke down...but David stayed in touch and finally found a way to complete the order in a timely fashion. I'm very pleased and, should any fellow-loungers find themselves in need of a band for an early wristwatch...I can highly recommend David.

"Skeet"

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

After many months of looking for just the right Art Deco watch chain for my pocket watch, I think I've finally found "the one". (It should arrive in a few days.) The little retractable pencil 'fob' is icing on the cake. :)

What do you think? Will they match, or have I misled myself?

watch002.jpg
PencilFob03.jpg

PencilFob08.jpg

PencilFob06.jpg

Be-Bop Baby

New in Town
This is my darling wristwatch from the 50's.

It was found "new old stock" in a little watchmakers store. And when I first saw it it was love at first sight. :eek: It's so tiny and I LOVE the shape.

5183.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Shangas said:
I think it will do nicely...but will it actually hold the watch in place? I don't see how you'd fit that pencil through a buttonhole.

This kind of chain does not loop through a waistcoat's buttonhole. Instead, one end of it (where the watch is attached) goes into the waistcoat's lefthand pocket. You then loop the chain (like an upside down arc) down from that pocket, across the front of the waistcoat, and up to the waistcoat pocket on the other side -- and that's the pocket in which you put the pencil.

See the picture below:

DSCN0459.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
special WWII era ladies watch

I was told by the seller that this was a nurse's watch. The second face with just a second hand is to use for checking patient's blood pressure and heart rate. Its very petite, and delicate, much smaller than I was expecting it to be.
365333378.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:

After many months of looking for just the right Art Deco watch chain for my pocket watch, I think I've finally found "the one".

I concur.

Feraud

Bartender
The watch and chain look made for each other. :eusa_clap

Marc Chevalier said:

After many months of looking for just the right Art Deco watch chain for my pocket watch, I think I've finally found "the one". (It should arrive in a few days.) The little retractable pencil 'fob' is icing on the cake. :)

What do you think? Will they match, or have I misled myself?

watch002.jpg
PencilFob03.jpg

PencilFob08.jpg

PencilFob06.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Feraud said:

The watch and chain look made for each other.
:eusa_clap

Wow, thanks so much! You've made my week!

It's suprisingly difficult to find a watch chain that looks distinctly Art Deco. Most antique chains are either Victorian or Edwardian in appearance (and manufacture), with scrollwork and filigrees -- or they look very plain.

My chain might well have been made in the 'teens or earlier ... but at least it apparently *looks* Deco. That's good enough for me (I think).

The chain arrived today, so I've paired it with the watch and a folding knife. See below: do the chain and watch truly work together? Sorry about my insecurity, folks, but I'm a perfectionist. (It's a curse.)

IsiMay09012.jpg

IsiMay09013-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL