Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's settle this

Crowns

• A.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B.

• C.

• Total voters

Jerekson

One Too Many
Comparison_1-1.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat lousy representation but I think the point is made and set.

What is your preference in the frontal sillohette of a hat?
a) tapered sides (like on many modern hats)
b) straight sides - no taper
c) Mushroomed sides/reverse taper (think Raiders of the Lost Ark)

*I understand that there is some controversy with the reverse taper. The picture I have provided is a bit pathetic. What this really is symbolizing is a good mushrooming/inverted sides effect which can be accomplished by beating the crud out of a hat (like in ROTLA - Cairo scene) or by the bash, like a diamond crease with big dents. My Stetson has some nice reverse taper on the sides because of the diamond crease.
Hopefully I am longer considered to be a nut job...*

I apologize for the confusion of the OP. Hopefully I have fixed the issue.

Do your worst - and let's begin.

Jerekson

S

Samsa

I assume you are asking us to pick our favorite, not least favorite...

Dav3

New in Town
If that's the case, it would really depend on the person's facial structure.

I personally don't like how the reverse taper looks.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I've never seen "reverse taper" from side to side. Only from front to back, and only when you put a center-dent into a tall crowned hat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
quote - "Except that's a cowboy hat, and this poll is clearly about fedoras."

Wrong again, actually it is a Preachers/Gun fighters hat. In fact there were not any cowboys in the movie that I recall, there were miners though. I guess an Open Road would be a cowboy hat since the Miner school in Colorado wears them.

"The plot centers on a conflict between a group of simple poor miners and the most powerful man in the nearby town. A drifter (Clint Eastwood) rides in and defends a miner from a gang of ruffians with unexpected skill wielding a hickory axe handle, then compounds this surprise by wearing a minister's attire when invited to dinner. The preacher behaves reasonably enough in the beginning of the story, but eventually does spend a few hours with the future wife of one of the miners, and finally shows his true ability as a gunfighter in the end by eliminating a crack group of guns-for-hire posing as deputies who stand in the miners' way."

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel Tunnah said:
150_eastwood_pale_rider_195.jpg

Exhibit A: cowboy hat.

Cowboy Hat
n. a broad-brimmed hat with a high crown, usually of soft felt, as worn by cowboys.

Cowboy
n. A man who herds and tends cattle on a ranch

Clint wasn't a cowboy in Pale Rider. In fact, I'm fairly certain he was only a cowboy in Hang 'Em High (movies previous to Pale Rider).

However, that COULD be called a cowboy hat. But really, it wouldn't matter because the thread wasn't about fedoras versus cowboy hats, the thread was about tapers on hats. The model presented resembled fedoras, however no one clearly stated anything regarding the beloved lid.

So I suppose the case still stands that Pale Rider would provide some reference to a style of taper...

although I must admit, the pictures provided aren't the best examples.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
OK, Jereckson, would you please make your question clear? I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't understand what you are going for. "Do your worst"??? And that means???

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gent's, Bud & Joel, aren't we just getting into semantics? All "Western" hats aren't "Cowboy" hats. As far as I know all "Cowboy" hats aren't "Western" ( I know a few real Cowboys that wear Open Roads)..does it matter? The Top Hat is an example, this example of the "Gambler/Gunfighter" hat is another of side to side reverse taper. The most common mental pic is that of front to back reverse taper, but certainly not the only one.
I still don't know the point of the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy