Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levis Cafe Racer

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Czesc Przemek,

It is difficult to say, but since the jacket is mass-produced by Levi's, chances are the leather is chrome tanned (a quicker, cheaper process). The leather has a yellow topcoat (paint) on it, and that layer would have to wear off to show aging/patina. It might take many years as the jacket looks new.

Przemek

New in Town
Thank you very much for your help..
I have contacted the seller but unfortunately he does not know what type of leather it is and the label does not say anything.
Sales said that for a very long time this jacket was hanging on the hanger and practically no one dressed it.
Thank You one agein
Przemek

Fantastic looking jacket for a bargain. Looks like a Vanson copy but that's only a good thing. I don't see how you could score a better jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The label says "genuine leather" which is as low grade as you can get whilst still being called leather.
I doubt any maker would use veg tan leather and stick a "genuine leather" tag on it, it doesn't make any sens.

But then any leather will take patina with time, patina is just dirt...

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The label says "gnuine leather" which is as low grade as you can get whislt still being called leather.
I agree that 'genuine leather' screams 80s / 90s junk. But not as a rule...

FA977661-61DB-4659-A8EF-37549511EE9B.jpeg
CDCCE717-8F3A-4851-9199-B97BA864556E.jpeg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I agree that 'genuine leather' screams 80s / 90s junk. But not as a rule...

View attachment 377651 View attachment 377652

I'm not saying "genuine leather" means it is junk, just that if the leather was indeed veg tanned it would most likely not have a "genuine leather" tag.
That would be the equivalent of putting a "red wine" label on a bottle of St Emilion Grand Cru...

The best thing for that Levi's jacket is acetone, oil, dye and wax. I wrestled with these ugly, heavily topcoated (almost plastic) finishes and they can be made to look good. Takes some elbow grease.

Przemek

New in Town
I know that I am repeating myself, but it is really nice of you and I would like to thank everyone again.

I am asking about this jacket because I have been looking for a nice cafe racer for a long time. I would like to add that the color does not like me, and if with time it became darker than my vegtan belt, then I would choose it without thinking. I got the dimensions from the owner and they are perfect for me. Only this light color, hmm, I thought the sun would make it darker, but if it's top coatet leather, I can't count on it.
The price is around 50 euros, so quite attractive.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Przemek, keep looking on Vinted in Europe, there are some amazing deals there. Keep checking the Finds and Deals thread here, @Marc mndt often posts some Vinted jackets that are great value and super-high quality. Marc knows his stuff and never posts crappy jackets.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Przemek, keep looking on Vinted in Europe, there are some amazing deals there. Keep checking the Finds and Deals thread here, @Marc mndt often posts some Vinted jackets that are great value and super-high quality. Marc knows his stuff and never posts crappy jackets.
Here's a nice cafe racer listed on German ebay.

Waddington Pirate was an English maker, they made great jacket during the 60s and 70s. These jackets are pretty rare.

It does need some work but €49 (or best offer) is a steal.

92762827-644D-4890-9D2E-6F18ACD6BFDE.jpeg

Those Korean 90's made Levi's leather jackets are of outstanding quality, made in super sturdy leather. @Przemek , if you can get that Levi's jacket for 50 Euros, absolutely go for it. You won't find anything vintage that comes close early Korean production, back when they got a hold of vtg patterns. By far the best outsourced production until Japan got their s**t together.

Also "Genuine leather" tag doesn't indicate quality or there lack of in any way. It's just a standard tag.

Przemek

New in Town
Monitor, thank you for your help. I would buy it without hesitation, only this color is absolutely not to my liking. The question is whether there is a chance that it will get darker in the sun, and as you write, I'm afraid rather not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider