Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Light Grey Flannel Trousers -- DEAD?

JamesT1

Familiar Face
For the longest time I have been considering getting a light grey three-piece suit made up.

I think this thread has finally convinced me.

I shall order the fabric tomorrow.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Barry Bricken light grey flannels:

p1010228ie4.jpg

I need to have them altered, but as it's so late in the season I'm putting them into the fall queue.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
benstephens said:
I had mine made.

flantrous5.jpg

They are made from a west of England 14oz Flannel. Very nice, and have a lovely drape to them when worn.

The other two pairs are 16oz west of England flannel.

Kindest regards

Ben
Sharp! I like the outside suspender buttons. After Marc gets done killing you if you still have any breath left I'll kill you too. ;)

benstephens

Practically Family
I took an original pair of trousers in for the tailor to copy. they are very good, and I am very happy with them. I will probably change the white buttons though.

Kindest regards

Ben

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hueraches

For years when I was growing up my mother would tell me to get hueraches, they were so comfortable, etc., etc. They were big when she was young in the '40s. Now I wish I could find them! (Actually, I just Googled them and voila!)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:

---------------------
Shoes001.jpg

These trousers belong to suits made by Oxxford. I also have flannel suits in navy and black. I often mix and match them as separates. (The shoes need some edge dressing. :eusa_doh: )

Shoes001.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
In the early 80s I was always looking for black flat-front trousers. Every clerk looked at me like I had six heads. Pleats everywhere! And the kind that make one look fat. Now I see signs in all the shops 'Look thinner. Flat-front trousers.' Duh.
Ugh. That is why I hate fashion. There is no choice but what is "now and popular". :mad:

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Flannel - alive and well

Grey flannel is alive and well in most English country towns. Many octogenarian gentlemen (particularly ex-service types) don't seem to wear anything else - usually with a blazer. There are 'old mens'' outfitters (e.g. Greenwoods) in the UK that still stock a good range. I just bought a pair for Summer, with a 14 inch crotch rise, braces (suspender) buttons, 22 inch bottoms with 1 1/2 inch turn-ups (cuffs) in a heavy, soft mid grey flannel. They're like Oxford bags!

Alan

manton

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
That's it: I'm moving to Britain.

Before you move, find out if light gray is actually still on the shelves. The way cloth used to be made, those trousers might be 50 years old and still going strong.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Alan Eardley said:
Grey flannel is alive and well in most English country towns. Many octogenarian gentlemen (particularly ex-service types) don't seem to wear anything else - usually with a blazer. There are 'old mens'' outfitters (e.g. Greenwoods) in the UK that still stock a good range. I just bought a pair for Summer, with a 14 inch crotch rise, braces (suspender) buttons, 22 inch bottoms with 1 1/2 inch turn-ups (cuffs) in a heavy, soft mid grey flannel. They're like Oxford bags!

Alan

Is this the same Greenwoods? If so, their brick-and-mortar presence must be quite a bit different from their online retail setup. From that site, it looks as though the people who run the place wouldn't know a pair of good flannel trousers if they bit them on the rear.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I picked up a pair of suit separate flannel slacks from Rugby and will probably get the jacket when it goes on sale. It is a not-quite charcoal gray. I think I am seeing gray flannel come back into fashion, especially in lieu of the Thom Browne craze for gray suits. Men in New York are definitely wearing a lot of gray, which will surely make its way out to the rest of the country soon enough.

Feraud

Bartender
Mr. Rover said:
Men in New York are definitely wearing a lot of gray, which will surely make its way out to the rest of the country soon enough.
Agreed. I am seeing plenty of gray suits with brown shoes these days.

Edward

Bartender
benstephens said:
I had mine made.

flantrous5.jpg

They are made from a west of England 14oz Flannel. Very nice, and have a lovely drape to them when worn.

The other two pairs are 16oz west of England flannel.

Kindest regards

Ben

Ben, where was it you got these - and if you don't mind the question, what kind of price did they run to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR