Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lindy Hop" on Dancing with the Stars

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
maggiethespy said:
That wasn't at all facetious, right? ;)

:eek:fftopic: How is Denton's swing scene? I'm transfering to school at TWU in the fall, and I hear there is Swing/Blues dancing around UNT some nights. I stick to Fort Worth, mainly, but I'm interested in branching out.

To be quite honest, I haven't made it out to a Denton swing night. They canceled it for a while, and I never knew they started them up again until a few weeks ago. I have plans to go to the next one though.

I came from Austin, where there is a pretty big scene, but the videos I have seen of Denton show small gatherings. It still looks fun though. Come on out, I plan on making myself a regular fixture. I have been missing lindy lately.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Jive is Latin?

Did anyone watch DWTS last night? They had the professionals doing the jive, but said it was a Latin dance. It is true that it is one of the Latin dances, but does anyone know why? It is more related to swing styles, so it confuses me. I normally think of Latin dances and salsa, paso doble, etc.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I hat when they do any of the swing dances (Lindy Hop, Quick Step etc...) on Dancing With The Stars because they turn then in to Spoofs and the costumes are awful.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
and alas...this is the problem with this thread....in a general way..

all the -faults- of the things coming back shall be pointed out.....since very few of them meet the 'it has to be 'just like it was' and not a take on....' standards...

Its the old 'vintage enough' conundrum....something coming back in -some- shape or form....is a -step- in the right direction....but will never be perceived as such by many here.

:eusa_doh:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My only objection to a lindy hop segment on a weekly show is that even great dancers can't learn it in a week. Charleston would be a better choice.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
My only objection to a lindy hop segment on a weekly show is that even great dancers can't learn it in a week. Charleston would be a better choice.

But is it better then a disco jive dance number? ;)

If it gets -anyone- watching interested enough to look into a class...then -accurate learning curve- or not...did it not do -something- for the cause?

Just like a guy wearing a 'retro-fied' suit....rather then a baseball cap and jeans.....is doing -something- to improve....yet we critique him too as not being accurate enough.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Since you asked, Miss N, I'd rather see well done disco than badly done lindy.

Those who want to showcase a Golden Era swing dance have a choice of charleston, balboa, East Coast, jive, shag, and solo and group jazz dances. I've seen less-experienced dancers do some really entertaining routines with some of those dances. Not perfectly, but not sharp-stick-in-the-eye bad, either.

With regard to the "lindy" on Dancing with the Stars earlier this year, most of the dances shown weren't lindy. Someone who got interested in dancing based on the show would be in for a surprise if they signed up for a lindy class.

As one who prefers wearing vintage inspired to actual vintage, the guy in a retrofied suit doesn't bother me a bit.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The point is that anything done with taste and creativity will reinvigorate and old style. Although as far as the disco thing goes, however, I think I'm genetically coded to become sick to my tummy when I see it, no matter how well done. ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
The point is that anything done with taste and creativity will reinvigorate and old style.

Of course.....but who the heck are WE do decide what taste and creativity is.....

So new stuff that is 'back from the dead' is great....if we like it....

and its a giant travesty of the universe if we don't like it....old or not...

-anything- coming back from the dead...is reinvigorating an old style or thing. Period.

Our approval of it is non-essential. Our disapproval is also non-essential.

Edward

Bartender
Viola said:
It's possible they were thinking of what I was thinking of before I found this board: bits from Grease. Not exactly the best source, I guess? lol

I love Grease, but it's entire sense of period in almost every respect is laughable. Makes Happy Days look like a documentary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner