Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lipstick/Make-up options besides the tried and true red lipstick.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Not that I hate red lipstick... I looove it.
I just wasn't really sure about othe rmake-up styles... Although I was thinking of something ala Scarlett Johansson and the looks she does. (With nude/light lips)
Any suggestions [huh]

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Sorry, but you have to wear red. If you don't you'll be an old maid!!!!

21.jpg

Well, actually there were other options in lipstick. Raspberry, shocking pink and even corals.

Just think un-natural, most shades, even those labelled "natural" back then were some lurid red color normally not found in human flesh.

Elaina

One Too Many
Oh my god! I totally FORGOT about those color change lipsticks.

They still have them: apply it, in 30 seconds it changes color to "suit" your chemistry. My aunt gave me some of that exact brand years ago, and it turned this god awful shade of black/blue.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Other shades of lipstick that I love are one's in brown shades, and also in plum/raisin. Burgundy is still kind of a red shade, but it kind of nice when you're not wanting the same ol' bright red look.

Renee

Familiar Face
Are you looking to evoke a truly vintage look, or just want something pretty for regular daytime wear? I like Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It's a kind of sheer reddish-brownish shade (imagine your lips stained by eating blackberries) that I think is incredibly versatile. It's my "daytime red".

If you're wanting something more period correct, check out the Besame Cosmetics website. It's fun, and there's several period looks there that give the makeup colors used. You can order samples of their lipsticks; they come in little screw-top plastic containers that remind me of the green Tupperware lettuce keeper my mother used to have. :) Their lipsticks have a delicious vanilla scent to them, too!

crystalface

One of the Regulars
Nashoba said:
Tangee is actually still available through the vermont country store. They have some red shades too that are quite pretty

I looked earlier today but Tangee was out of stock *tear*
I was so ready to order some! :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24