Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Live Theatre - Lounger's Appearances and Stories

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
theatremasks.gif

Who here is a part of a theatre group?

Attended a community theatre production? Tell us about it!

Have a production approaching? Tell us where it is!

Share some stories and experiences during one of your past productions!

In a school play as a child? Show some photos and video!

Have some photos of you and your theatre group? Please show them!

I myself am not nor ever was in a theate group, but my older sister was. She's been in theatre since she was very young, and I've witnessed the majority of her performances. During my senior year in Junior High, I babysat our dog backstage. He was in the play, and so was my sister. It was a production of "A Mid Summer Nights Dream" and he was the shepherd's dog, I believe. The next year I attended that same school.

I've seen a lot of community productions from colleges, local theatres, and not so local theatres. I've seen "Hair" at least 5 times, all by a different cast, in a different location. One of my good friends was in a theatre group this past year, and I was proud to see her perform. She was very good.

Let's here some more input from community thespians and theatre goers.

No pics available, but I did some Shakespeare (Hamlet, Julius Caesar, Romeo & Juliet, Taming of the Shrew) while in junior-high and high-school. Mostly just single scenes or for classes, someday I'd like to be part of a full production on Hamlet or JC--except, on the latter, that I don't do togas (or anything else less revealing than a suit or BDUs)...

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
I belong to a community choir here in Jozefow. Our last production, Warsaw in Song, was about Warsaw before, during, and after the war.
I believe my mom took some pictures of the first act; hmm... I guess I'll go look for them.

OK, I found a couple photos; now to see if I can post them.
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

I'm in the first picture, the one in the pink vest and skirt.
The woman in silver sitting on the couch in the second photo was a teenager when the war started. She is also the great-grandmother of one of the choir members.
I'll see if I can find the video of the second act; you might just get a kick out of that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was involved in drama in high school, with our most memorable production being "The Man Who Came To Dinner." I was the only member of the cast who knew who Alexander Woolcott was, and got to explain all the other 1940s pop culture references in the script. We also made it to the regional one-act play competition with our production of "The Open Window," which was quite an accomplishment since we were up against schools much bigger and better-funded than we were.

Later on I joined the local community theatre troupe, where my most memorable role was as the entire jury in a prodction of "Chicago." I had twelve different hats and some assorted props in the jury box, and I'd scoot along the benches putting on each one and assuming an appropriate characterization for a few seconds before moving on to the next.

I eventually gave it up though, in part because I got tired of the internal politics in the group -- there were a few people who were determined to play the big shot, and it lost a lot of its fun when the attitudes took over.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I was a High School "Drama Jock" (gad), then did college productions (on the big EJ Thomas Hall stage in Akron), then community theatre until my first child came along. It was a good time to quit as I was increasingly getting "graying professor" parts. Leading Man... not so much anymore. And I was there for the kissing. :)
I hope to try out for something in 08.

I think there have been close to 50 productions now. Great fun.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
This year, I'm on the costume and makeup crew for a university production of a play called "Zanna Don't."

I was in a few plays at Jew camp when I was younger -- I really wish I had photos, because the costumes were hilarious! You've got to be REALLY thrifty at camp. I was a pirate in "Peter Pan" and the featherduster in "Beauty and the Beast." My featherduster costume basically consisted of me scrapping together a French maid costume and holding a broom in front of my body the entire time.

My really fun plays were in my gifted program in elementary school. In third grade we did "The Trial of Rumpelstiltskin" (in which Rumpelstiltskin sues the princess, I was a defense lawyer); in fourth grade we did "School for Scandal" (I played Lady Sneerwell -- our late 18th century costumes were fantastic!); and in fifth grade we did "Hamlet."

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I have been involved with Theater since I was 8 years old. I was the 8 of hearts in Alice in Wonderland. Since then, I have been in too many plays/musicals to count. I was a Musical Theater major at Ball State University for two years until I switched to Business Management and then to Telecommunications (Production). My wife has her degree in Secondary Eduction with her emphasis on Drama and taught Theater for a few years in Anderson, IN. Over the years we were lucky enough to be a few shows together which is always fun. Now, we live in Bloomington, IN and we do shows with the Bloomington Playwrights Project as well as teach a few classes through the program. So, yes, we are very involved in Community Theater.

Also, in case anyone is interested, the greatest film ever made about community theater is "Waiting for Guffman". It is hilarious. Anyone who has ever been part of or has even seen Community Theater will appreciate it.

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
My heart belongs to the theatre! I just graduated with a theatre minor tagged on to my Bachelor's Degree. I mainly stage manage, but I have been on stage my fair share as well. I was in The Cripple of Inishmaan; Twentieth Century (the play version); Urinetown; The Pajama Game at the community theatre; and two one act plays, The Eclipse and Who Made Robert DeNiro King of America. I've stage managed 10 shows, my favorites including The Rocky Horror Show, The Syringa Tree, As You Like It, and The Mikado.

I have pictures from almost every show. Here are some of my favorites:

The Mikado by Gilbert and Sullivan
n1500660053_30013575_6423.jpg

Urinetown
UrinetownAct11.jpg

And, of course, a little Beauty and the Beast.
BBBow2.jpg

Here's me backstage of Urinetown. I just like the picture. ;)
Urinetownmud.jpg

ShortClara

One Too Many
I grew up in the Ocala Civic Theatre in central Florida. I met my best friend there when we were tweens and hold it in a very special place in my heart. By the time I graduated High School I had done over 80 plays / revues/ etc there, mostly acting but some backstage too. We were Theatre Brats and I know it started my love of vintage and period clothes.

As I mentioned over in events, I have a pilot debuting at the New York Television festival two weeks from tomorrow. I'll update that post with times and address if anyone wants to come on out! :) I have to say Community theatre started me on a path to where I am now :D which is a 'poor but hopes to sell her pilot and be a big shot actress' :)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I'm betting we have lots of theatre folks here on the FL.

I was a leading lady in high school, mostly in plays that were of high school caliber, though was in one that had been on Broadway, Letters to Lucerne. I also developed my own program on Joan of Arc, doing acting scenes from the three major Joan of Arc plays: The Lark, Joan of Lorraine and St. Joan. I never got to play Joan of Arc on the stage but wrote a play about her years later at the Writing Center in San Diego.

In college, I was a drama/speech major, minor in education. Acted in: Hippolytus (Greek chorus), J.B., John Brown's Body (chorus), The Visit, A Winter's Tale, Thurber Carnival and Hedda Gabler. I never played a lead, but, later, was in summer stock for two summers in Plattsburgh, NY.

Got to play several leads I enjoyed, including the Shakespeare role I wanted most to play: Viola in Twelfth Night, as well as Eunice in Streetcar Named Desire, Harriet Sedley (a hatchet murderess!) in The Man Who Came to Dinner, Lady Fidget in The Country Wife, Penelope in See How They Run, Mother Gibbs in Our Town, and played the maid in Dracula.

I also played Andromache in The Trojan Women at the University of Iowa.

I directed Blithe Spirit and Camelot when I was a high school teacher, also directed The Bald Soprano for a high school group in Seattle, and Impromptu for a couple of play festivals plus a college group.

For years after I left the theatre, I wrote my own material and gave readings, mostly to women's groups as well as wrote a play. Haven't done anything for a decade and probably won't in Iowa.

karol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm an enthusiastic member of the audience but I love seeing everyone else's resumes. I've always wished I had a talent for improvisational theater.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Hmmm yep, did theater. I really need to get back into it, I really miss it. But alas, I can't stand auditions. I really need to get over that
But over the years I have played Florence in The Odd Couple, Eponine in a concert choir staged version of Les Miserables (way, way, way, off broadway)
Christine in a concert choir staged version of Phantom, Mrs. Darling in Peter Pan, various other roles here and there. I was Asst. Director for a production of the Wizard of Oz and most recently I played Edith in The Pirates of Penzance.
I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures....I think they're in a box somewhere....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not surprised

I'm not surprised to see a lot of FLers are also thespians.
Here are a few of my recent fiascos. . . err . . . credits.
2 Years ago I was in the musical version of "My Favorite Year", (based on Sid Caesar's Show of Shows), with the Village Light Opera Group, in New York:
goodnight.jpg

A number of my vintage ties were used.
Last year I was in "Noises Off", with the Rockaway Theater Company, out on the beach in Queens, NY. I was Selsden, the old alcoholic actor, who plays a burglar in the play within a play, "Nothing On". Here I am burgling:
Selsdenwindow.jpg

We did a progrm with in a program, and a lobby card within a lobby card, as well. This is Selsden in his salad days, as a swashbuckler:
selsden-1.jpg

My girlfriend and I were in "The Music Man" with Heights Players, in Brooklyn Heights. She made her acting debut as a Pick a Little Lady, and I was Mayor Schinn:
MayorndPickaLittleLady.jpg

Hts Players is doing "The Caine Mutiny" this fall, and I'll be auditioning for Captain Queeg. Daniele is going out for Miss Mackay, in "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". Wish us luck! (Even tho it's bad luck to say "Good luck" in the theater, that's why they say "Break a leg.")
If any of you folks have a hankering to tread the boards, for heaven's sake get out there and give it a try! It's more fun than a barrel of dysfunctional monkeys!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I was in theatre class all four years of high school. Even got enough credits to become a registered Thespian.

Seems like in that time, I was always type-casted as the irritable, drunk, angry type guy. Still, my favorite role would have to be Marlowe in Enter Laughing. That was in my Junior year of high school, and now, four years after the fact, I still look back on that play with many fond memories.

I haven't taken any theatre classes, or done any acting in several years; mainly because there are so many other things that are taking up my time and that I find interesting. I suppose there is always a possibility I will come back to theatre though.

panamag8or

Practically Family
ShortClara said:
I grew up in the Ocala Civic Theatre in central Florida. I met my best friend there when we were tweens and hold it in a very special place in my heart. By the time I graduated High School I had done over 80 plays / revues/ etc there, mostly acting but some backstage too. We were Theatre Brats and I know it started my love of vintage and period clothes.

As I mentioned over in events, I have a pilot debuting at the New York Television festival two weeks from tomorrow. I'll update that post with times and address if anyone wants to come on out! :) I have to say Community theatre started me on a path to where I am now :D which is a 'poor but hopes to sell her pilot and be a big shot actress' :)

Ocala? Woo!

I was part of the "band" (3 pieces) for the Gainesville Community Playhouse production of "The Sound Of Music" while I was in high school.

ShortClara

One Too Many
Woot! You know where Ocala is! :)

Nashoba, just think of auditions as a fun performance where the auditors are forced to be your attentive audience for 3 minutes or so! Here in LA, even getting an audition is super hard, so you HAVE to love love love them! :eusa_clap

I don't have any community theatre pics handy, but I have a shot from my short, Prostitution for Fun and Profit (hope that's not too off topic)

PaulMarttiBW.jpg

and a few from my pilot, Martti and Kim's Story of... [Abridged]

vomensmoment.jpg

chastity.jpg

conquistadors.jpg

I'm the Conquistador on the right

Nashoba

One Too Many
Oh Clara I know, but I've sat on the other side of the table too and I know what's said about the people auditioning :) Not from me, but it kinda soured me a bit. And I've spent most of my life being told I'm not that great at singing, acting, etc, that my confidence level isn't all that high. I decided yesterday that I'm going to go back to tap and jazz lessons though. Maybe that'll start me back in on it. I'll let ya know ;)

Nashoba

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Nashoba, if you let what's inside shine through, you'll be great. I promise you.

aww you're too sweet. I'll get there. Just a nerves thing. I'm fine on stage, just hate auditions. I wasn't always like that either. It wasn't until I was an audition judge at the directors table and heard some of the stuff said that it started to freak me out.
There's a little community theater here in town...maybe I'll give it a shot...I like to think I have a decent voice :) not too strong in the jazz / tap dance dept though, which I think is why all of a sudden I want to go take tap lessons....I need to stop watching musicals on TCM late at night....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have been evicted from more than one musical number because I have eleven left feet. Auditions used to scare the heck out of me, but now I just take everything as a learning experience. (And I'm not just saying that!)
It helps to have a lot of places to audition. Aside from the "serious" (lol ) theater groups in Manhattan, the New York metro region has a lot of community theater groups that offer a combination of talented amateurs, semi retired pros, and aspiring youngsters to work with.
I may seem awfully difficult, but you just have to leave your ego home when you go into the theater. I've been having a great time since I started acting again 3 years ago. And I purely by chance got into a movie last month! Look for my hat, even if you don't recognize me, in "On the Hook", with Frank Langella, Elliott Gould and Laura Harring, coming out next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum