Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lochcarron Tartan Lining Issue and Advice

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
I bought my first Aero not too long ago and posted about it here. It’s a Board Racer in Dark Seal Vicenza with a Lochcarron Tartan Lining. I absolutely love this jacket. The leather, the fit, the quality — it’s all superb.

BUT, I’ve noticed the lining catches on my shirt and makes it ride up. It essentially eats my shirt and pulls it up into the jacket where it isn’t visible at all, whereas it should hang down a couple inches below the hem of the jacket. I have more jackets than I’d like to admit, including others with wool lining, but I have never had this happen before.

Have others experienced this? If so, is there a solution other than tucking in my shirt? Are there certain shirt fabrics that catch more than others?

I appreciate any advice or experience from this group. It’s more frustrating than it should be.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Could it be static? Lochcarron is wool, and might somehow cling to your shirt if it carries a small static charge.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Never had a problem with it with my Bootlegger with the same lining, but that said I always tuck my shirtwaist into my trousers, so that might be the reason?
I don’t think it would be an issue if I wore my shirts tucked. My lifestyle and dress code at work have become more casual in recent years and I rarely tuck in a shirt.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
The only time I do not tuck in a shirt is while wearing a sweatshirt or sweater, for obvious reasons. I just don't like to wear shirts un-tucked. So I have not observed this circumstance with any of mine. However I have found cotton drill to be a bit easier for donning overall.

Is it the light, medium or heavy-weight tartan? This will make a differance as well - the lighter is a loit smoother of "feel".

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
Could it possibly be that the fit of this jacket is tighter and the simple fact that there is less room inside prevents the shirt from draping?
I wondered about that too. The thing is, I have tighter fitting jackets that don’t do this, including a Thedi with an even courser wool lining. It’s bizarre.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know this from leather jackets, but from some shirt/sling bag combinations. I still haven't figured out why sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. And it only happens to me when I move for a long time (of course), e.g. walking.

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
The only time I do not tuck in a shirt is while wearing a sweatshirt or sweater, for obvious reasons. I just don't like to wear shirts un-tucked. So I have not observed this circumstance with any of mine. However I have found cotton drill to be a bit easier for donning overall.

Is it the light, medium or heavy-weight tartan? This will make a differance as well - the lighter is a loit smoother of "feel".
That’s a good question. I actually don’t know the weight of the lining, since I bought t

That’s a great question. I bought the jacket secondhand, so I don’t actually know the weight of the lining. It feels like it’s probably light or medium, but I could be wrong. It’s quite smooth and has very little texture.

TG3

One of the Regulars
My Satchel and Page bomber jacket has a lining that is just like Lochcarron and it's a pretty tight fitting jacket. It does catch on some of my shirts and the reason I think it does is because there is too much lining material. It bunches up around the back and close to the armpits. Do you feel your jacket has excessive material on the inside?

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
My Satchel and Page bomber jacket has a lining that is just like Lochcarron and it's a pretty tight fitting jacket. It does catch on some of my shirts and the reason I think it does is because there is too much lining material. It bunches up around the back and close to the armpits. Do you feel your jacket has excessive material on the inside?
That’s a good theory. I wouldn’t say this jacket has an excessive amount, but I do have a Thedi that has this issue and is going back to Thurston Bros soon to have the lining adjusted. And yet, that one doesn’t make my shirts ride up. :cool:

TG3

One of the Regulars
That’s a good theory. I wouldn’t say this jacket has an excessive amount, but I do have a Thedi that has this issue and is going back to Thurston Bros soon to have the lining adjusted. And yet, that one doesn’t make my shirts ride up. :cool:
Got ya. Well I'm all out of ideas! Guess it's now a jacket you have to wear without a shirt. Zip that badboy up! HAHA

LordOfLeather

One of the Regulars
It sounds like this might be an issue that’s pretty unique to me. It’s such a distinct and consistent thing that happens with this jacket, I just assumed it was a common characteristic of this lining.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Could also be the material of the shirt you have on? I have noted that polyester (microfiber) dressy shirts give a little more irritation with wool linings than cotton, however they are much easier to let a jacket lining ride in and out as the jacket is put on/taken off then a cotton shirt.

If ordered though Thurston, or has thier label, almost 95% of the time Carrie orders them in Lightweight tartan lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB